Amsterdam in November

Search

Amsterdam in November

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam in November

My husband and I were looking for someplace to take a quick trip in Europe in November. A friend suggested Amsterdam, and I was wondering if that was a good choice for a 4 day trip (5 if you count the day that we leave). We like to walk a lot, see interesting shops, etc and visit museums (pretty much like everyone else). Any thoughts on Amsterdam in November for 4 days?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:00 AM

It's a favourite for short breaks for Brits and other Europeans. The weather will be pretty dismal and the days short as everywhere else in northern Europe, but I always regard that as a good excuse to dive into another nice café for coffee and cake. Plenty of museums as you'll see from the destination guide, lots of shops and the odd street market or two.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:02 AM

And its other big advantages are that the historic centre is compact and public transport is excellent, both within Amsterdam and for day trips outside the city.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Heard it rained there all summer. Days will be short but it shouldn't be too cold. If it gets too cool, visit Deco Spa.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:20 AM

We spent 4 days in AMS late April/early May. I won't detail our days again but you can find my trip report on this board. You'll have plenty to see, excellent food, wine, cafes, museums, etc etc. I hope we get back again within a year to see all the things we missed! On our next trip, I'm going to try and stay nearer the town center - Pulitzer will be the first choice!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:25 AM

It's a great destination for in-between seasons, so much to see indoors, and when it clears up, out you go. Be rainproof and chilled-wind-proof, and you'll have tons of fun! There's something for every type of interest. Try a rijstafel in an Indonesian restaurant - it's a multi-course (and I mean multi!) feast that will tax your eating capacity, so walk before and walk after the meal and go easy on the beer so you won't fill up too quickly.

WK
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's the other thread for Macksix.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:24 PM

Sorry macksix for piggybacking on your question, but is Haarlem worth a day trip from A'dam? I'm planning a November visit too.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM

It's always worth getting a different view of the Netherlands from the touristy bits of Amsterdam, and the train service makes it easy - Haarlem is barely half an hour away. I don't think I'd put it above the Hague and Delft, which are also doable in a day, but it's a pleasant little town and has the Frans Hals museum, if you like his work (and there's more to it than the Laughing Cavalier). I'd check to make sure which days the market is on in the main square (I once found there some very cheap modern tiles with transfer prints of old Dutch illustrated proverbs, which suited my kitchen very well). You could also visit Utrecht for the museum of mechanical musical instruments (more fun than that sounds), but Delft and the Hague come first for art and history. There are lots of other possibilities, even in November.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Very cool. Thanx a bunch, PatrickLondon.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice. I didn't realize I had posted 3x. Sorry!!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Macksix - my husband & I went to Amsterdam in November (I won 2 tickets on KLM). Yes, it was cold. We live in Texas so our idea of cold is different from someone, I imagine, from Minnesota! Armed with coats, wool pants, and gloves - we had a wonderful trip. We happened to be there for the Sinter Klaus (spelling?) parade & celebration. It was rainy but it didn't hamper us. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 12:12 AM

I was in A-dam in early November two years ago. It was cold, damp, and windy at night in particular. I found having a lightweight/compressible down-filled jacket to be just the thing. The city was not jammed with visitors and the museums were uncrowded.

As someone has said, it would be easy to take daytrips by rail.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again so much for all of your helpful suggestions! Sounds like it will be a treat, even in chilly November.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Whatever you do, don't forget to nip into a brown caf&eacute; or a neighborhood restaurant to enjoy either <i>Hutspot</i>, a thick stew of potatoes, carrots, meat and onions or <i>Erwtensoep</i>, pea soup with sausage served with thick brown bread. Both really, really hit the spot on a chilly day. Both are Dutch specialties, esp. in the autumn.