Amsterdam hotels

Apr 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam hotels

Hey all,
Need some help choosing a hotel for 2nd week in July in Amsterdam.
So far I have narrowed it down to the Canal House, the Ambassade and the Jolly Hotel Carlton.
1st time to Amsterdam and want to be near the action...within easy walking distance to everything (or at least almost everything)and in a good, safe neighbourhood. Plan to do some walking at night.
Anybody stayed in these hotels recently? Which would you choose? AND what about the locations?
Thanks!
May 20th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 21st, 2003, 06:12 AM

JAGIRL, have you read any of the Rants & Raves? These hotels are well-known, and most likely will have comments there. Also, you can search for past/recent comments about each one inside this forum. At least, that will keep you busy until someone chimes in!
May 21st, 2003, 07:49 AM

the canal house always gets good reviews and is in a good area for walking and restaurants. itis very cute and homey!
May 21st, 2003, 12:15 PM

I had a wonderful stay 3 weeks ago at the Residence Le Coin, www.lecoin.nl, english version availible.
Helpful friendly staff, very near the Jolly Carlton and it offers a mini kitchen with fridge! Request a room with a view of the Rokin for some great people watching!
May 22nd, 2003, 06:58 AM

Stayed at the Ambassade 18 months ago. Very nice hotel in an excellent location on one of the major canals.
May 22nd, 2003, 09:16 AM

JaGirl,
I've stayed at the Doelen, which is close by the Jolly Carlton.
Both those hotels are close to Rembrandtplein and Thorbeckeplein (a plus or minus, according to personal opinion). You are close to where the Amstel River curves in, nice views, a little different from the Canal District. If you stay at the Doelen or at the Coin, you will be right next to the Cafe de Jaren - good place to have breakfast or a late-night snack.
The Ambassade consistently gets good reviews and is booked way ahead. Additionally, the Ambassade also has a spa located on the ground called Koan Float. You can get a massage, or a float session in an isolation tank, and then float on up to your hotel room!
May 28th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Jagirl,

Don't look any further. Check out the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam - American. The address is Leidsekade 97. This is exactly were you want to be. Beleive me, I just got back on Sunday May 25th. If you want to know where to go, speak to Roger the bartender, a real helpful guy.

I booked the hotel from the airport and paid 105 Euros + tax per night. This rate was for a double.

HAVE FUN!!!!

P.S. If your into Coffee Shops check out The Rokery, and try a combination of Star Dust + some Moroccan Hash.
Jun 29th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot folks.
Turns out we'll be staying at the Jolly Carlton- we got a good deal (I hope!!!)[-o< and it seems like it's in a pretty good location from all the posts here.
I'm still not sure I understand why sometimes when you do a search on this site you get nothing and when you do another search later for the same thing you get a whole bunch of things!b-(