Amsterdam hotel cheap triple?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. we are in midst of planning our Europeon holiday for next year ., and I am finding Amsterdam to be super expensive for hotels( more so for Paris or London even. but not sure why?)

So .. the kink in plan is adult daughter will be joining us for first part of trip.. Amsterdam.. so we are looking for a triple . I know triples and quad rooms are harder to find usually in big europeon cities.. rooms being small usually to begin with.. but would really appreciate the names of a few cheap hotels to look at.. under 150 euros a night ( sorry, our Canadian dollar is making this particularily painful now).

All we want is clean, private bathroom, and hopefully central walkable location or on tram line 2 ( which I heard is good direct line?) .

Does not need to be fancy.. we can do stairs, etc..

Our visit is short, only a few nights.. so an apartment is not my first choice but would consider one.. and that's the other reason we would rather be central.. to use most of our time enjoying not commuting.

Any suggestions ?
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:41 AM

Loads on Booking.com
Depends on location and facilities you are looking for.
http://goo.gl/tcMGMf
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 11:48 AM

I'd try Hotel Brouwer...great location, good breakfast, clean and functional, interesting history of ownership, etc. We really enjoyed our stay there and found it to be moderately priced.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I have looked on booking.com ribirasacra.. and expedia, and venere, and priceline. What I am finding is a lot of expensive rooms.. and bad reviews .. so I was hoping for some personal recommendations.. do you have any? I am not an inexperienced traveller.. but Amsterdam is not easy to do on a budget unless you are young, smoke pot, and plan to party a lot so expectations are very low.. ( er, I do recall enjoying our nasty dirty hotel 30 years ago.. lol )

There are many fine hotels, with a 26 day visit to Europe we cannot afford to spend 400 dollars or more a night.. sorry.. we are pushing it at 200 .. Canadian..

We are open to very basic accomadations however.. but private bathroom is non negotiable.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ginny I will look that hotel up !
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 12:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.kaphotel.nl/en/
...is where I stayed. They offer triple rooms w/ private baths (depending on your dates pricing varies quite a bit but some are within your requested 150 range). Nice breakfast in their breakfast room included.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Suze,
I just looked at that hotel.. unfortunately on my dates rates were 270 euros a night??!!

Must be something going on in Amsterdam on those dates because everywhere someone has suggested seems to have higher rates then usual.

May have to rethink plans.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Can you reorg your schedule into a different order to take you to Amsterdam when its less expensive? When are you looking to stay there/
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 06:27 PM

you may want to browse airbnb and see if there is an apartment to your liking that will meet your needs and price. you can often rent for less than a week and can have more space.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Try the Hotel Fita. We were very happy there. The wonderful breakfast, included in the price, can last you much of the day saving you money on eating expenses.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 08:17 PM

I see the Fita's prices may have gone up but I would email them directly and see what they can do. I am not sure whether or not they have triples but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

KTtravel.. that hotel looks really nice.. but they do not offer triples .. it seems a common issue.. ( can I say I am starting to somewhat regret agreeing to stepdaughter accompanying us.. would be so much easier for two people.. )
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:43 PM

When my husband and I traveled with our two children we often emailed hotels we thought we might like even if their website did not mention any quadruple rooms. A few hotels did write back stating they did have one quadruple room. It doesn't hurt to ask if a triple might be possible.
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
When is the trip -- rates can be VERY date specific. For instance are you there over Kings Day or some other special event?
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 10:52 PM

Justine
I had the same problem and ended up sleeping 40 kms from Ams on the seaside in mid october !
I had my car... Seems Ams is just out of price.

I remember seeing that Seanbee slept on a barge in Amsterdam and found it was a splendid idea.

Did you ask him ?

Have fun even in this strange country !
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 12:19 AM

***so I was hoping for some personal recommendations*** That is the point of Booking. The reviews are personal they are written by those who have stayed in the accommodation. I have seen recommendation written on here by persons who have some sort of link to said accommodation. I would never trust them either.
The reviews on Booking are certainly more genuine then on Trip Advisor or Google+
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Well if you want to get technical it would be easy to fake a review on booking.com. All I would have to do is ask a friend to make a booking.. payable on arrival at hotel. Obviously they would not pay .. but I would say they did.. and there you go.. they can now file a fake review. I think any site is would be easy to get a fake review done if you can think sneaky.

I actually do use and trust tripadivsor reviews.. simply because there are many clues to fake reviews there.. one thing I look at is posting history. A lot of the "unique"( ie.. too good or too bad to be true reviews) seem to be from posters who have posted exactly once! Their review! Another way tripadvisor helps is by letting people post their own photos. And finally, I have done and even did today .. contact the reviewer directly to ask specific questions.

Thank you everyone for your help.I did in fact finally decide and book a hotel, its a bit more then I wanted to pay (but I think that's my problem because it seems to be well priced for the area, and having a third person really make a big difference) but the location is beautiful, the rooms all have private bathrooms, and according to most reviews its a clean decent place ( with steep stairs, uneven floors, tons of character.. lol )

OK.. So , three nights taken care of.. 23 more to go.. lol
I chose the Hotel Brouwer .. so special thanks to Ginnyjo for the winning pick!
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 02:08 AM

Hi Justine
Technically you cannot make a review on booking.com if you have not shown up at the hotel.

I have even had the case where I cancelled a hotel, I was just one hour too late for their cancellation policy, paid and I coulnd't post afterwards.

As for TA, I just deleted all my reviews, as you know, mostly because TA never told me if they would back me up should I get involved in a problem with owners.

And partly because I didn't get along - at all - with the moderator who kept banning me
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 05:08 AM

It seems, from your point of view, you do not know how Booking.com works. No show means no review. The accommodation has to inform Booking.com if the guest do not show. If the guest did stay, the accommodation has to pay a fee to Booking.com
As for fake TA reviews.
Here are just a few articles from the press.
http://www.cnbc.com/2014/12/23/tripa...e-reviews.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10354818.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...r-website.html
I know it is your choice in what you wish to believe in, however I am talking about this subject from the business side of vacations.
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 05:16 AM

check out the Hotel Bema - near Museumplein - may be what you are looking for.

http://www.onetime.com/hotels?talid=...93938416834077

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -