Amsterdam Hotel and train question

Feb 16th, 2004, 02:47 PM
wry
Original Poster

Amsterdam Hotel and train question

We have reservations in March for the NH Amsterdam Centre Hotel near the Leidseplein on Stadhouderskade. The hotel looks fine on the web site and a good location, but I have found very few reviews of it and it is not mentioned in the major guidebooks. Anyone know if is a good place to stay. Should I be worried? Also a question about a day trip to Brussels (I know overnight is better). How do you purchase tickets for a roundtrip from Amsterdam to Brussels with a couple of hours stop in Antwerp? Thanks for the info.
Feb 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Wry,

Sorry, I can't advise re trains but see the attached link which has been taken from the excellent tripadvisor.com.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...d_Holland.html

It looks like you've got yourself a good hotel!

Hope this helps,

Jim
Feb 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM

For the rail journey, check the Nederlands Spoorwegen (sp?) website. The english version is www.ns.nl/domestic/index.cgi
Feb 16th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Buy a round trip ticket from Amsterdam to Brussels and on the way back get off in Antwerp. Walk around, have dinner, and then get on another train to Amsterdam.

Antwerp has two train stations. The international trains stop at Berchem. You'll need to take a local in to Centraal and back to Berchem.

You can save a bit by buying a Super Dagretour ticket. This is valid after 9 am on weekdays, except in July and August. Haarlem to/from Brussels cost me 34 euro with this special last year.

Feb 18th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Although I have never stayed there (I usually stay next door at the Marriot) I have been in the lobby and it seems to be a very nice hotel. The best way to get there is by airport shuttle for about 12 euro each way. As you exit the terminal look for the Conexxion mini buses right out front. You can pay the driver directly. The shuttle will drop you off at the hotel.

As for Brussels, I have taken an inter-city train from Brussels to Amsterdam and back. It is not a day trip. Travel time is well over three hours one way (probably closer to 4 if you take into account getting to Centraal Station and buying your ticket) and the Thalys train is not much better. I would rethink your plans if I were you.

Search this Thread