From Amsterdam to Belgium

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Amsterdam to Belgium

We have 4 days between leaving Amsterdam to catch our plane in Brussels (to Edinburgh). We would like to visit Ghent and Bruges. What would be the best way to do this and do we have enough time? We are thinking Amsterdam to Ghent to Bruges to Brussels. Should we go by train? Are any of these day trips or should we drop one?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated...
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM

Visiting all three in in four days is definitely "do-able", but you might want to spend more time in a place than one day(especially Brugges). If you are not flying, my choice would definitely be train, the trains here are very easy to get around and with the tickets in Europe when you buy a ticket (except for the ICE and Thalys trains, which you have seat reservations)you can get off anywhere in between your start and your destination and catch the next train if you desire.....

Ghent can be done in one day, beautiful city, a lot like Brugges but a little more modernized (stay just outside the city square for cheaper hotel rates, for a no frills hotel IBIS is excellent and is about 69/79 Euros a night double occupancy), Brugges, I recommend two days for sure, there is so much to see and so captivating, definitely worth the extra day, then you can spend your final day roaming through Brussels before you fly out.....make sure when making your plans there are no holidays upcoming, but all four places mentioned are pretty touristy and don't really shut down during holidays anyway. Ghent is approx 40 +/- mins from Brussels by train and Brugges is about an hour past Ghent.....

Enjoy your holiday, Amsterdam, Ghent, Brugges and Edinburgh are all beautiful spots.....
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM

You could take the Thalys in Amsterdam CS at 08.56 and be in Brugge at 12.25, or the simple Intercity train at 09.26 till 13.03. You have to change trains in Antwerp.
I would suggest to start in Brugge for 2 days, and then work your way back via Gent (23 minutes with an IC-train), and then to Brussels (33 minutes by train from Gent).
Have a nice trip.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! This is the first time I have tried this forum - it's excellent that travellers everywhere can help each other out!
Thanks again
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM

I like Baldrick's suggestion best.
Next time you travel from Amsterdam to Belgium, to consider Antwerpen for a stop!