Search

Amsterdam - Early Morning Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam - Early Morning Flight

Hi.
We'll be in Amsterdam (our first time) for Thanksgiving, flying back on Sunday, 8:15 a.m. Should we get a hotel room for the final night at the airport? Or should we just stay in the city and get up a bit (how much?) earlier?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:04 PM

It is pretty easy to catch a train from Centraal Station to the Airport. Trains run frequently and take about 20 minutes. Depends upon your aversion to risk. Also, hotel rooms tend to be cheaper near the airport than in Amsterdam. Personally, I would rather enjoy the city a little longer than be closer to the airport. Have fun in Amsterdam.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Or just stay up late on Saturday night, have a shower at the hotel around 5:30 AM, and head to the airport. Has the added advantage that you can sleep on the plane. More most flights, if you are at Schiphol Amsterdam Airport 1 1/2 hours before departure, it is OK. Only for flights to Israel and on US airlines to the US there is extra security so be at Schiphol 2 hours before departure. Taxis from downtown to the airport should cost between 25 and 35 euro, or take a train that runs hourly throughout the night.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Hi EugeneNY,
We used the hotel/airport shuttle. Worked great for us, only about 20 minutes each way, should be faster on a Sunday morning. We loved Amsterdam. Have fun
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 01:25 PM

One presumes you need to be at the airport for around 6:15 am. The airport is nearby to the city centre, about a 30 min taxi ride. One would assume that you should be ready for departure from your hotel by 5:30 am

Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that a taxi will enable you to stay in the city centre with no problems. Enjoy your stay in Amsterdam - hope you like it more than I did!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
On the other hand you can get a pretty cheap room near the airport and use the free shuttles. We've stayed at the Ibis a couple of times and found it very acceptable. Just check in late so you don't miss quality time in town.

BTW people are hitting the Courtyard at Schiphol for $40 on Priceline. The savings can pay for a fair number of beers the night before.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM

It is easy to take the train from Central Station but you really need to be at the airport 2 hours early.
The last 2 times I flew out of Amsterdam, the lines for the passport check and xray machines were really, really long. Especially on Sunday mornings.
Also the security people make each person or family go thru a little quiz session (who packed your bags? etc. etc....) right before you get on the plane.
All of this stuff takes time.

Karen
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your responses!

I'm leaning towards staying in the city. It would be one thing if the hotel were inside the terminal (think - Hyatt at Orlando's MCO), but dealing with the shuttle...I may as well take a train/taxi from the city.
I already started shopping for a hotel. I tried lowballing priceline but it hasn't worked. I did get reservations with Novotel at an incredible rate of 70 euros/night; however, I'd prefer to be closer to center. Any ideas in this price range (other than Priceline) will be appreciated.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:58 AM

The Sheraton has a hotel that is reachable from the main terminal at Schiphol without even going outside! We stayed there because of our early departure last year. It was no problem and quite comfortable.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:48 PM

What a coincdence! We're also leaving from Amsterdam on sunday at 8:15am for our thanksgiving trip! Are you flying with Singapore Air? Anyways, I'm also trying to figure out ways to get to the airport from the hotel for our early morning flights. The hotel we have booked is NH Grand Krasnapolsky for 110 euro a night which is located in the center of everything, next to the Dam, 5 minutes walk from the Central train station. If you haven't booked your hotel yet, should consider this hotel we have chose...it seems very convenient for all attractions. Good luck!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Wslux,

Yep, we're flying with Singapore Air. #1 airline with the lowest fare - can't beat that

Thanks for your advice re hotel, but I will probably go with priceline. You can get a 4* in the centre/museum area for roughly US$70.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:43 PM

EugeneNY,

Have you found anything with Priceline.com yet? I've tried a several times bidding from $62-$95 on 4/5 stars, still no luck. But if u do find something cheaper than 110 euro per night for 4/5 star within centre/museum...please let me know! The hotel that I booked only requires a 24 hr in advance cancellation procedures. Thanks again and good luck!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Wslux,

You bid up to $95 and didn't get it? Were you bidding on a 5*?

Just yesterday I bid $60 for a 4* in the centre/museum area, 11/27-11/30. I didn't get it but got a counteroffer at $82 (which I rejected). I don't think it would take more than $70-75. I'll let you know when I bid again in a couple of days.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:40 PM

yup...on both 4 and 5 stars. Maybe I was bidding on the wrong time of the day....who knows. I will definitely try again after the "72 hrs" wait is over.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

wslux,

FYI

Yesterday I bid $70 on priceline for a 4* and, surprisingly didn't get it. I wonder if, due to the ridiculously low airfares, there'll be more people there for Thanksgiving. I'll keep bidding every 3-4 days until I get what I want Btw, I was counteroffered at $97 but didn't take it (this is up from the $82 counteroffer a few days ago). My e-mail is [email protected]. Let me know if you're successful.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 10:08 PM

EugeneNY,

Yea, I've been trying on Priceline....went up to $100 per room and no luck. I gave up on priceline already because with up to a $100, after tax and service fees and everything else will come up to be about $125 per room for a 4*, and I'm only paying about the same for a 5*...so I'm just keeping with what I have. Another thing is I found out the reason why everything are getting sold out for thanksgiving wkend, during that weekend....the city is hosting "cannibus cup" competitions...maybe that's another reason that hotels and airfare are getting sold out fast. But I might be wrong, who knows. Anyhow, I'm glad that we both got a great price on world's #1 airplane on this trip.
You can also email me at [email protected] if u come up with something.

Lots of luck!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:28 AM

I just wanted to add for WSLUX, that the Kransnapolsky has a lot of different rooms (sizes and decor), so if you don't like your room, don't hesitate to ask for a better one. They always try and give the worst first.
Ciao
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 02:46 PM

We are flying out of Amsterdam at 8:15am also on Sun 11/30! We are on Northwest. (Flying in form Italy the day before).
Did you guys get any good Priceline rooms? We are thinking about the Sheraton at the airport. WE get in Sat night at 6:30pm. COuld check in, drop our bags and go the city centre or downtown or whatever (we have never been) and then eat dinner and go back to hotel....any comments?
Thanks,
Laura
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Laura, we did this last year, and the Sheraton was very comfortable, efficient and convenient. It's only a minute's walk from the terminal. I wouldn't want to stay there more than a night, but for an early flight out, it was great. If staying in the city, you would have to get up at 4:30 a.m., and hope that a taxi would be available.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:20 AM

We were just there in March and we took the hotel shuttle back and forth to the airport. The checkin however was a night mare. I think we got stuck in the slowest line ever, I saw folks walk in 30 mins after we did and it took them about 15 mins to get thru, where we were in line for over an hour. We had no way of getting out of the line to go over to the next one. We were there about 2 hrs early and it was a good thing. Great city, great sites and great food. If you want to try something different, eat some Indonesian food, it's awesome there.
have fun.