Amsterdam - best hotel for anniversary?

Feb 9th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam - best hotel for anniversary?

Hi everyone - and especially any native Amsterdammers...

I'd really appreciate the benefit of your experience in choosing a hotel in Amsterdam. My husband and I have individually visited Amsterdam a few times, but the last time was about 10 years ago, before we got married ...and now we'd like to go back together for our wedding anniversary in early March.

It's a special occasion, so we'd like to stay somewhere memorable, comfortable, with its own character, and close to Vondelpark/Rijksmuseum/Leidseplein.

We have 4 shortlisted options : Bilderberg Jan Luyken; Frederik Park House; Ambassade; and the Eden Rembrandt.

I'd be so grateful to know what you guys think - which of these you would recommend to your friends / family?

Thanks in advance!
Sabrina
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi Sabrina,
Of the places on your list, I am partial to the Ambassade and think it is well worth the money. The Ambassade consists of eight or so old canal houses which were renovated and connected into one property. The rooms are all different and very full of character. I've stayed here several times, and although I have not stayed in the most expensive canal-view suites, I was perfectly satisfied with the quiet, comfy rooms I ended up with. Service is excellent and the breakfast is outstanding, as was the lovely room it is served in. I'm sure if you let the Ambassade know it's a special anniversary, they would do their best to find an especially pretty room for you - that's the kind of place they are.

P.S.,
There is a small spa in one of the Ambassade's buildings called Koan Float. I only had a massage there, but for the adventuresome, there are those "back-to-the-womb" type flotation tanks.
Feb 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM

I second the Ambassade. Wonderful neighborhood, The 7 Streets.
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM

I don't know the other three but I have stayed at the Ambassade. We had a top floor timbered ceiling canal view room. Excellent and unique. I would do it again, but now I have a friend in Haarlem so I don't need a hotel in Amsterdam.

Nearby at the Spui are the cafe Luxembourg, the restaurant Luden, and the brown bar Hoppe. All excellent.

Feb 16th, 2007, 01:53 AM

Also check Banks Mansion, wonderful!http://www.carlton.nl/banksMansion/default-en.html