Amsterdam, Berlin & Vienna or Amsterdam, Munich & Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit about us before the question... We enjoy checking out local eateries/cafes, window shopping, a museum or two, touring historic homes/sites and walking/wandering city streets. Our fave destinations so far have been Venice, Rome and Paris. This time, we are celebrating our seventh wedding anniversary and my 40th b-day. That said, which of these trios (listed in post title) would you recommend for a 10-12 day trip in Jan/Feb? cdg

PS - Since, we're just chatting about the trip at this point, visiting only two or one of these cities is still very much an option...
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM

So, the question is really only whether you should go to Berlin or Munich?

The quick suggestion would be Munich. It has more in common with your described favourites and interests, I think.

Berlin is unique, having suffered so much damage, it does not have the number of historical monuments and "environs" that you seem to like in your other choices. Certainly. there are fine examples of monuments, some great shopping and food, and the museums themsevles are worth the trip, but Berlin requires some "work" to appreciate - it's charms are not as visually obvious. If you have some interest in approaching it on the basis of it's more recent past, then it can be very rewarding.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
GBC

My ranking would be Amsterdam, Vienna, Munich as you have asked the question. If you can manage it, consider Amsterdam, Vienna, and Budapest, but that will want 12 days plus.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM

In January/February I would not recommend either combination.
The weather is not really good during that time for wandering around in Central European cities.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

aramis - Yes, that's the question. You're good at drilling down to the point. Berlin was appealing because it's on our long-list of places to one day see, has good fares during that time frame and we just learned a friend's sister will soon be moving there. We'll think on that one some more.

Thanks, GBC, for weighing in. Hadn't thought about Budapest.

Cowboy - Would it be much worse than NYC, DC or Chicago at that time of year?
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In January/February I would not recommend either combination.
The weather is not really good during that time for wandering around in Central European cities.>>

on the contrary, they are GREAT places, because they are geared up far better for the cold than places like London and Paris, and Amsterdam as well, which cope very well with wet, but not so well with snow.

I haven't been to any of these in the winter, but from my general experience, and from visiting Prague and Budapest in late December, I would opt for Berlin, Vienna, and Budapest. all have great transport systems, fantastic museums and galleries, and very cosy cafes.

PS - whatever you decide, museums and shops in central and eastern europe tend to be well heated. Take warm outer coats that you can take off and leave in the garderobe when you get there, and wear lighter clothes to walk around inside.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Well, I lived in Berlin for more than 10 years.
And winter was definetely never my favorite season.

Berlin already gets continental climate, i.e. usually dry, very cold, icy winters with little snow.
It won't probably get colder than Chicago, so if you feel comfortable walking around at -10C or less during the day, or at -20C or less during the night, then you should have no problems.
Amsterdam will probably be milder, but also more wet.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

annhig, thanks for the insight. you've got me thinking berlin, prague, vienna. hmm. still need to check out what budapest has to offer.

now that's a tad chilly, cowboy, even for a windy city girl. i do recall high precipitation levels in amsterdam.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

What's the best way to travel between these points? Assuming there is a train. Wouldn't mind driving, but would rather not add that facet of travel to the mix in winter. Perhaps if it were summer...
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
still need to check out what Budapest has to offer>>

a bit of a cross between Prague and Vienna, IMHO. we particularly liked the food, the gipsy dance/music evening, the opera, the hot baths, lizst's house [with Beethoven's piano!] Prague is more charming [but more touristy] and Vienna more imposing. they all have castles/palaces, museums, galleries. Shopping is best in Vienna, worst in Budapest.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM

I was in Berlin around July 25 last year. I bought a jacket because the wind was so cool. A few days later it got really warm, almost hot. I would not wish to be there in the winter ( and I live in Canada).
Amsterdam in late November was the pits: rain, wet snow ..all they long.
I know it was not the time you plan on going, but I have to agree with what Cowboy said "In January/February I would not recommend either combination."
You, of course, know what you wish, but for that time of year I would take a look at Spain.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

<and Vienna more imposing> how do you mean, annhig?

funny you should mention Spain, danon, as that was where our initial conversation began. we briefly talked about flying into madrid and then heading to the coast, or flying to barcelona and ferrying to pollensa.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM

don't get me wrong, I like Berlin -going the second time in 3 weeks (and to Munich the first time). I have visited Vienna three times and Amsterdam five or six . All great cities. It is just that the winter might not be the best time to visit.

Madrid has slightly cooler winters than Barcelona but less rain,the south ( Seville, Cordoba, Granada ) should be warmer .
If you like Rome and Paris, the cities in Spain have what you are looking for!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM

I too would suggest Spain. It certainly won't be warm, it will be cold but should not be too cold to take away from your enjoyment. With a 10 to 12 days you'll have a tight schedule visiting the places you list in your op. If snow does cause problems and slows down your sightseeing itinerary you could be disappointed. I would only consier visiting these places if you plan on spending alot of time indoors.

I've been to Spain in the heat of summer and have been in winter too, I definitely prefer the later as the summer there is just too hot. If Spain is a possibility you could look into this.

Danon has given you good advise, in addition to the cities danon has listed, consider Toledo (day trip from Madrid) and Avila (unfortunately, this doesn't fit too well with the other cities that have been suggested). Spain is big so you can't see/do it all in 10 to 12 days, but you can focus on one region or the big cities and see alot in this time.

Not sure if you've been to Switzerland, but the Alps are a winter wonderland in Jan/Feb. Switzerland, might be another consideration but there's no escaping the cold weather in Switzerland in Jan/Feb.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

ah, danon, you got me thinking. jsm, thanks for adding to the chatter. have a friend heading to spain in a week and another (who's also turning 40 next year) considering spain in jan/feb. i will share this info with her as she is a bit more targeted on spain than we are at this point. that said, i'm about to research the cities you both suggested. switzerland, eh? winter wonderland sounds so appealing as we in texas are deadlocked in the triple digits. (fanning)
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:10 AM

good luck with your research... have a great time wherever
you decided to go.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Weather can be a funny thing.

We've traveled to Europe in winter time for years, including Berlin 2 years ago. We've had no problems bundling up with toasty coats, long underwear, hats, etc. It's actually quite glorious to have most of the places virtually to ourselves at times in the off-season.

Last winter, we decided to visit Andalusia because we were tempted by the thought of warmer, sunny weather. Ha! It was cold and rainy during most of our entire stay. We had snow and sleet in Cordoba and Granada. Torrential rain in Seville and Cordoba. Only about 3 days of sunny weather, when it was so cold we wore long underwear, anyway. Locals told us it was the coldest, wettest winter in 30 years!

So, you never really know about the weather. I wouldn't worry too much. Just be prepared with the proper clothes.

And, like I tell everyone, I'd rather be cold in Europe than cold here at home!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, danon!

<I'd rather be cold in Europe than cold here at home!>
Amen, nanbug. LOL
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:49 AM

We went to Paris for the first time in Feb and the first time we went to Munich was March since people live in these places year round, there are still things to do in a large city. Dress appropriately and you’ll have a great time. It's often been observed, it's not the weather, it's the preparation for the weather.

Go to whatever city you want to see the most.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM

I might have "a thing" about the weather because we live in a cold climate (unlike many posters here)
. We wear big coats, hats, warm underwear, scarves and have our faces frozen for a long time - I often cannot wait to "liberate" myself from anything with the word "wool" in it. Especially on holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -