Amsterdam, Athens, Roma, or { X } Enroute to Israel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I need to arrive in Tel Aviv on Friday, 23 March 2007. We have every intention of leaving the states the previous Friday or Saturday, with a 5-6 day stop-over in ... well, that's where you come in. Where should we spend this short period of time in late March?

We are in our sixties, neither rich nor poor, neither highly active nor sedentary. We enjoy beautiful gardens and fine art and classical ballet and good theatre and impressive architecture and pleasant coffee shops. I love archaeology and my wife loves sunshine and spas.

Sometime back we took a wondersul 21-day Eurail vacation and spent time in Strasbourg, Baden-Baden, Bern, Luzern, Venice, Paris, and Brugge. We've also explored London and Kent. Finally, being Jewish, we're a bit hesitant to consider such destinations as Morocco, Egypt, etc. Other than that, we're fairly open to suggestion. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:38 AM
LJ

You would find Rome offers most of your like-to-do/see list. I would also suggest that you explore the wonderful Jewish community still resident in Trastevere. I was squiring around a group of teens last year, one of whom was Jewish and he visited a kosher deli while there and had his picture taken with Owen Wilson. If you book in advance there are also Seder suppers open to guests.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I agree with LJ. You can't go wrong with Rome.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM

Rome is good but I think Amsterdam is preferable because of its greater contrast with what you will experience in Israel. Amsterdam has wonderful museums, ambiance and of course the very moving Anne Frank house. Actually a lot depends on how long you will be in Israel and where you are coming from. Israel has more archeology than you can possibly take in, as well as beautiful gardens and landscapes and beaches. The arts scene in Israel is worldclass.
The weather in Amsterdam in March can be pretty cool and the weather in Israel in late March can be iffy too, except for the south. I spent a couple of years in Israel and found March to have many splendid days, but nasty, rainy days too, alhough as you get toward April the weather gets really nice and you should have plenty of sunshine without it too hot.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:35 PM

My 2¢ ...Personally, I would go to Amsterdam with _maybe_ an overnighter to Brugge. The canals of Amsterdam give it such an open feeling and it is so appealing.

Rome is wonderful, but IMO it has much more of a hustle bustle feeling.

There is so much to see and do in Amsterdam - Anne Frank House, the Portugese Synagogue, Van Gogh Museum, the Riksmuseum (sp), and of course the archtecture. We've been there in January and in early April, and both times it was it was pretty cold, but still easy to get around, mostly on foot.

Brugge is in a class by itself and warrants more than a one day trip - especially as the tour buses leave in the late afternoon and the city is yours.
The architecture is well worth seeing, no modern construction from what I remember, along with some lovely gardens visible at the front of some of the houses and public buildings. Once you leave the main square, you will discover things by yourself that day trippers don't have the time to see and appreciate. It is a fairytale city.

Of course both cities have excellent restaurants and are level, making walking very easy.

If you have a full six days after arrival in Amsterdam, I would suggest maybe three days in Amsterdam, 2 days in Brugge and then taking the train directly to Schipol for your flight to Tel Aviv.

Whatever you decide, please write a trip report.

Have a Happy Healthy New Year.

Nina
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Czech Airlines used to have a special for travel from New York or Toronto to Israel. They flew you to Tel Aviv via Prague and included a 5 or 6 nights' hotel stay. Mind you, this was during Nov. and Dec. No idea if they are still offering that.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 03:23 PM

" We enjoy beautiful gardens and fine art and classical ballet and good theatre and impressive architecture and pleasant coffee shops. I love archaeology and my wife loves sunshine and spas. "

Rome has all this.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Well...having been to Israel last summer and having an amazing time I think that Rome would be an excellent trip because it has the oldest Jewish community in Europe and you will be able to connect Jewish History (although it will be backwords a bit...after the destruction of the 2nd Temple). I have been to Rome several times but we are going in February for a week and we plan to do a full-day Jewish tour through "RomeforJews" of the Coloseum and Forum, lunch in the Ghetto, and a tour of the Ghetto and Trastevere- all from a Jewish perspective. They have a web site of their tours. We thought that it would be great since we spent so much time in Israel this summer and a lot of time touring Jerusalem. With so much focus on the history of Jerusalem up to the destruction of the 2nd Temple Rome will be part two...the Arch of Titus in the Forum depicts the Romans carrying off the menorah from the Temple.

Another interesting trip would be Prague and a day trip to Terezin. Prague is the only city that the Nazi's didn't destroy the synagogues because they were going to make a museum of the "extinct race" in the Spanish Synagogue. Visiting Prague, and Terezin would be a wonderful way to enter Israel, too.

Or...Budapest...

Old Sep 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM

Sorry 'bout my Prague and Budapest suggestions, it was late when I posted and I realize today that you listed three choices...while Amsterdam has a lot of Jewish history (and is one of the next must visit places on my list)-I would still make Rome my first choice. If your wife loves sunshine you can even plan a day trip to the south and visit Sorrento. We did a day bus tour a few years ago to Capri and Sorrento. It was a quick trip but it was a nice day out and gave us an opportunity to see another region of Italy (since we focus most of our trip on Venice, Florence, and Rome).
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM

You could consider Turkey for great Jewish Heritage sites and tours. I am also sure you would love Cappadocia....

happy travelling,
Murat
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your many responses and for the addition recommendations of Prague and Cappadocia. Turkey is an amazing country and deserves far more than a brief stop-over, particuarly if you're interested in archaeology. I know little about Prague and will try to rectify that deficit. Thanks again.