Search

Amsterdam and??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam and??

My husband and I hope to travel to Amsterdam from NY the end of March. DH would much rather stay home, although he does enjoy himself once he is there. Our trip is five nights (not including night flight) and I would like to spend 3 nights in Amsterdam and 2 night in Bruges. My plan is three nights in Amsterdam then a tour bus from Amsterdam to Ghent (spend a few hours here) and then on to Bruges where we will base ourselves for 2 days, Flight to ny from Brussels.

Three days in Amsterdam too short? Should we base ourselves in Amsterdam and take a day trip or two (Haarlem) or can you suggest another city in the Netherlands where we could spend a night or two.

We love architecture, good food and wine, walking, art galleries (where we can purchase), street markets, gardens and flowers. I love museums but my husband does not, so I don't think we will be spending much time in museums in Amsterdam except for the VanGogh and Anne Frank.

Thanks for your help (once again)
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM

eurocheapo.com/amsterdam Plenty to do...

Just stay there lots of neat houseboats

that can be fun... regular hotels booking.com otel.com

Travel days will eat up all your Bruges time maybe

3 days and 2 night there if you can extend your journey.

Happy Planning for upscale hotels I get good deals on

betterbidding.com
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM

www.phildutch.net

good personal experience here from 50 euro single
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The bus tour from Amsterdam arrives in Ghent mid-day and will probably arrive in Bruges 2-3PM. That leaves one and a half days in Bruges which is fine with us Would probably prefer more time in Amsterdam but it is what it is.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 05:47 AM

Why take a tour bus rather than the train?

Three days in Amsterdam with a day trip elsewhere is too short imho.
You could stay 5 days in Amsterdam and do a couple of day trips. Haarlem is close by and easy to get to. You may enjoy the Hague, Delft, Leiden or even go out to Alkmaar or Enkhuizen. Sadly you don't have time to go much further afield than that within the Netherlands as a day trip.

Keukenhof gardens open on March 22nd next year, and whilst there won't be tulips then there will be plenty of other spring bulbs to see there.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

We were thinking of taking the bus for several reasons. One being the logistics are easier. Also a stop in Ghent for an hour and a half and we won't have to worry about our luggage, then on to Brugges.

I guess I'm thinking three days in Amsterdam is fine since we will not be going to many museums (none if up to my husband). I would like to go to Anne Frank house and possibly the VanGogh museum and I have a feeling I may be going by myself. Still feel 3 days is too short?
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

We are now thinking of staying in Amsterdam for the whole five days and taking one or two day trips. The reason being the problem of getting to the airport from Bruges to catch an 11 am flight.

We have visited many cities in Europe and have never stayed in one city for five days so I'm a little apprehensive especially since my husband is not a museum person...but having said that there are a few museums I just read about that I think he would like such as the Tropical Museum and the Resistance Museum.

Anyway ....I'm now thinking of going to Haarlem one morning by train and then doing a bus tour on another day. Not interested in Delft or Madurodam but like the idea of the Hague and/or Marken and Volendam. Or Bruges (I've wanted to go for so long). I know it is a long trip so if anyone has done this trip could let me know about the pros and cons of this, it would be much appreciated.