Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Americans Will Need Visa for Europe Beginning 2021

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

It looks like Americans will have to apply for and receive visas to got to Europe.🥴
https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-requirements/americans
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 01:45 PM

It is only the same as Europeans have had to do for years to visit the US. You can't have it both ways.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 01:53 PM

Doesn't seem terribly onerous. American visa policy is based on reciprocity, however, so we might see an end to the visa waiver program and the institution of a B1/B2 visa fee equal to that ETIAS will charge Americans.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 01:57 PM

Didn't this come out in 2017?
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo View Post
Doesn't seem terribly onerous. American visa policy is based on reciprocity, however, so we might see an end to the visa waiver program and the institution of a B1/B2 visa fee equal to that ETIAS will charge Americans.
We already have ESTA which costs about the same as ETIAS will. ETIAS is there for Americans because of ESTA. Like i said you can't have it both ways - you visit here for free but we have to pay to visit the US.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Per Travel and Leisure,
”In early 2017, the European Union went back and forth over whether or not to pass new visa laws for Americans. In May 2017, the European Commission decided against reinstating visas for Americans, but stated that the decision was contingent upon the U.S. reciprocating visa-free travel for Europeans. At the time, then-secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) John Kelly said that the U.S. needed to reexamine its visa-waiver agreement with Europe, citing potential terrorism risks.”

Old Mar 7th, 2019, 02:23 PM

$14 for ESTA, valid for two years, under 18 too, €7 for Etias, valid for three years, under 18s free. You still get a good deal.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

That’s a deal! Is it 2 or 3 years? I saw 3 years.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 02:35 PM

I wonder if dual nationals like my son - born in France to an American father - has both passports but is a resident currently of the U.S. - will they need a visa - think not but not sure?
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 02:49 PM

>>>I wonder if dual nationals like my son - born in France to an American father - has both passports but is a resident currently of the U.S. - will they need a visa - think not but not sure?<<<

No. Theyare supposed to travel to Europe on the European passport, and return to the US on the US passport.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 03:12 PM

I hadn't heard of this, thanks for the heads up. The conditions are really rigorous-- you have to have a passport, a credit card and an email address. Yikes. what to do.

I remember the days when I had to actually go to a consulate to get a visa to visit France, so this is nothing to me.

The biggest danger is just people not knowing.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 04:22 PM

A US citizen needed a visa to visit France? That must have been a looong time ago.

Where do we have to go to get this new visa, if we are US citizens?
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 04:30 PM

I think I will wait until it absolutely does happen.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 05:02 PM

>>>A US citizen needed a visa to visit France?<<<

Late Eighties. Created quite a headache for the consular staff in London.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 05:30 PM

When one door closes, another opens. Anyone for Saudi Arabia? Saudi Arabia to offer visa-free access to overseas visitors - Al Arabiya English

Maybe North Korea will be next.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 08:52 PM

In 1986, Americans needed a Visa for France.

Someone planted a bomb in a topiary on the Champs Ellysee in September, 1986, hence the Visa law.

My mother and I were taken off the TGV at Vallorbe because I did not have a Visa to enter France. I did not need one when we left the US.

Thin
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 11:36 PM

Pre 1988 (or thereabouts), Brits needed a visa to visit the USA. You had to get it from the US consulate, it was a stamp in your passport which was marked as “indefinite” and valid for multiple entries. When your passport expired, you took the old passport with the visa stamp along with the new passport when you travelled to the US.

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:37 AM

I remember the French Visa for Americans too. The lines for the French Visa were quite long at the embassy in London.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
The lines for the French Visa were quite long at the embassy in London.
It's lucky anyone got a visa as alot of countries do not allow or additional documentation is needed for visa applications outside their own country of residence. Wouldn't advise leaving it until getting to the UK to start applying for a French visa nowadays.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot View Post
In 1986, Americans needed a Visa for France.

Someone planted a bomb in a topiary on the Champs Ellysee in September, 1986, hence the Visa law.

My mother and I were taken off the TGV at Vallorbe because I did not have a Visa to enter France. I did not need one when we left the US.

Thin
The only French visa I ever applied for was a student visa in the early sixties for which I received a receipt of payment and stayed in France for 15 months without ever receiving the visa itself. I also traveled in Germany and Switzerland without a visa, and I do not remember if I had to purchase a transit visa for train travel to Berlin and car travel out of Berlin. In 1967 I drove throughout western Europe and Yugoslavia without a visa. I had to purchase East German plates to ;get in and out of Berlin (they did not accept the tax exempt international plates), which can be considered purchasing a transit visa.

I believe that I essentially had a travel visa for a specified number of days when I drove in Czechoslovakia in 1975. It was obtained at the border and I had to buy x-number of Kroner for every day that I stayed. I remember this clearly because we tried to cross from Slovakia to Hungary at a border crossing that was only for locals, which made me lose a day and I had to spend an extra day in the country to apply for an extension at the nearest prefecture. No visa needed for Hungary as far as I remember.

All this to say that as an American I do not recall any visa application for travel as a tourist in Western Europe. My parents spent 15 years in France as apatrides, which meant applying for travel permits whenever they wanted to see family in Germany and Switzerland post W.W.II. My parents applied for American citizenship as soon as they could not out of patriotism but for the convenience of the American passport--no more visa applications to this or that country within Western Europe, starting in 1960 for them.

The 1986 visa requirement sounds very weird, especially as it was imposed after a legal non-visa entry to the country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO