American Hotels in Prague?

Aug 30th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

American Hotels in Prague?

Has anyone stayed at the Prague Marriott Hotel or the Four Seasons? Any suggestions for other American hotels with a good location and five star?
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Hi
haven't been there yet, but I've been compiling info and the Four Seasons seems to have uniformly high ratings and good comments, for location and amenities.
click at the top of this page for Hotels, and look for info. Alternatively, just search on it by name on this message board by using the little text box above.

tripadvisor.com also has good comments
Aug 30th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Those are the main ones I know of, although I believe there is a Sheraton, also, although I don't know if it's 5*. There is a regular Marriott and Renaissance. I think the Hilton and Radisson SAS may be 5*. The Marriotts and Four Seasons are the best location IMO. I wouldn't expect Americans to be working in them, or the manager to be American, though.
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Not a Marriott, buy my husband and I just got back from 5 days in Prague and we highly recommend the U Krale Karla. It is amazing, great location, great views, great service (all the staff speaks english), and very affordable. Our room was $150 a night with breakfast included. It was great!!!
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:59 PM

I believe you meant to ask if anyone had suggestions for "North American owned/run hotels", as the Four Seasons is actually a Canadian managed chain.

I know . . . splitting hairs . . . but I had to comment.
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:15 PM

Sorry I cannot comment on Prague hotels however I am mystified/curious as to 'why' it has to be an 'American' Hotel? What is wrong with European owned hotels?

Strange!
Aug 30th, 2003, 10:35 PM

Really, why would you want to stay in an American Hotel..You can do that at home.
Aug 31st, 2003, 08:27 AM

The Four Seasons in Prague is probably the best hotel in Prague in terms of location and facilities. It just re-opened in late June after being closed for more than a year. It was flooded during the severe floods which occurred in 2002, a victim of its own good location on the river.

The Marriott and Renaissance, while nice hotels, would not be in the same class as the Four Seasons, which is a luxury hotel. I have stayed in both the Renaissance and the Marriott several times(they are across the street from each other), and found them both very good standard-issue international hotels. The Renaissance is a bit smaller and a little bit quieter, IMO. Their location is good, near to Wenceslas Square. IMO I would prefer to be on the river, so if your budget allows, I would choose the Four Seasons over either the Marriott or the Renaissance.

My favourite small luxury hotel in Prague is the Riverside Hotel, which I have never seen mentioned on this site. It is on the river. Many rooms have river views, and the upper floor rooms (esp the junior suites in 604 and 605) have beautiful views of the castle. It is within walking distance of two main tram lines, and about a 15 minute walk to Charles Bridge. (The hotel is across the river from the modern "dancing building" (also sometimes called the "Fred and Ginger Building") for those of you familiar with Prague. There is not much in the neighbourhood in terms of restaurants, but it is so convenient to the Charles Bridge and Old Town areas that this has never been an issue for me. It is small, abut 50 rooms, so you get very good service. It is an old building very nicely restored and decorated in somewhat modern style. Take a look at riversideprague.com. They are a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World, go to slh.com.

Riverside Hotel
Janackovo nabrezi 15
Prague 5

With regard to the debate of "American" versus other hotels, I live in Europe and travel extensively. IMO there is no difference between a 4/5 star hotel which is managed by an American brand and that managed by a European brand such as Dorrint, Steigenberger, Seiller, Le Meridien (which is actually Japanese-owned), etc. one. The level of service, the facilities and the amenities are all the same. Also as someone above pointed out, the American brands are staffed by Europeans. In the case of the Marriott and Renaissance in Prague, they are owned by Czech companies and only managed by Marriott. If you go to 3 stars or pensions, you will certainly get more of a local flavour; but for business these are not as convenient IMO. Also, some people simply like 4/5 star branded hotels, regardless of where the brand originates.