American Cemetery

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Teresa

American Cemetery

Is there an American Cemetery in Nettuno or somewhere closeby? I may not have the name correct, but it is on the coast south of Rome on the way to Amalfi. I want to show my 13 year old son the sacrifice that was made for freedom.<BR>If you are familiar--is it worth the visit?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Bob

Search the web. The US government has a list of all US military cemetaries. I found one this way.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:45 PM
StCirq

There is one in Anzio, which is not far from Nettuno, memorializing the Americans who fought in the battle of Anzio. I don't believe there is another one in Nettuno. Like all foreign American cemeteries, it is beautifully maintained and well worth the visit. There is also a British cemetery in Anzio dedicated to the same battle.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:45 PM
David

This web-site lists alot of the American Cemeteries:<BR><BR>www.abmc.gov<BR><BR>I've not been to one in Italy, but I've been to the one in Cambridge, England. I took my niece 14, nephew 13 and dad to one in Fere-en-Tardenois outside of Paris. They were both well done and interesting. Inside the monument at each one was a huge stone and metal map showing the significance of the area. I'd recommend visiting one.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Grinisa

Actually, the American cemetary is in Nettuno, not Anzio. It is on Piazza Kennedy, about one mile from the church in Nettuno dedicated to Santa Maria Goretti. We visited it in July and it is beautiful. There is a museum about WWII in Anzio.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:05 PM
StCirq

Grinisa: You are absolutely right - we wandered around looking for it for so long, we lost track of where we were. The British cemetery is in Anzio - the American one, just next door in Nettuno. Sorry for any confusion.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Jinx Hoover

The Sicily-Rome Cemetary lies at the north edge of the town of Nettuno, which is immediately east of Anzio, 38 miles south of Rome. The cemetary can be reached by auto from Rome along the Via Cristoforo Colombo which runs into Via Pontina (highway 148). Drive south approximately 37 miles and exit at Campoverde/Nettuno. Turn right to Nettuno, continuing 5.5 miles to the cemetary. There is hourly train service from Rome to Nettuno where taxis can be hired. 7,862 of our military dead are buried there. In addition, 3,095 of our missing are memorialized.<BR>This data was taken from The American Battlle Monuments Commission booklet that you can obtain at any of the U. S. cemetaries overseas.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Jinx Hoover