Search

Ambitious First Day?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 10:39 AM
gig
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambitious First Day?

We will be traveling from the US and arriving into Shannon in the early morning. Is a drive to the Cliffs of Moher and then onto Galway too ambitious of a plan for the first day of our 13 day trip to Ireland?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 11:14 AM

gig,

I think this is doable though I wouldn't try for any further.

It depends a good bit on how long you've been flying (from the west coast we are 10 hours in the air), how well you sleep on the plane (we can't) and what time you get in on the day.

Sorry that really wasn't too clear of an answer. Hopefully, you'll be fine. Is there a reason you want to get to Galway on the first day? Reservations perhaps?

Wendy

[email protected]
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Gig, I agree with waffle18. A thing to remember about Ireland, is that the roads generally (excepting for the major highways crossing the centre of Ireland) are not similar to the English motorways/A Roads etc. So it does take longer to complete journeys along the coastal roads.
I would suggest taking M18 from Shannon Airport to Ennis, then N85 to Cliffs of Mohr, then either R479 coastal road, or better still take N67 through Lisdoonvarna (Kilfenora not far away and worth a side trip) to Galway. Do try & drive through The Burren. We stayed in a B&B on The Burren, and it was so windy that night, we thought the house was going to blow away. We had dinner that night at Vaughans Pub in Kilfenora, so basic, and so interesting. Bare floorboards, friendly irish folk, no other tourists, lanterns around the walls for lighting, and one wet dog hogging the open fire place.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 12:42 PM

We had no problem doing exactly what you describe when we were in Ireland in May 2003. We had originally planned to see the Cliffs, then overnight in Doolin. However, the drive was easy. We say the Cliffs (remarkable), stopped in Doolin for a pint (it is a small town), wandered around the Burren in the rain, had some tea in one of the small towns in the area, and headed into Galway for the night. Aside from traffic in Galway being a mess (construction and normal traffic), we enjoyed our stay at the Atlantic Bed & Breakfast!

Any other questions, let me know!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:54 AM

You should be fine gig. That's probably right around two hours of driving with plenty of places to stop in between. If there is a beer lover in the family, stop in the tiny town of Inagh on the way to the cliffs and have a pint at the Biddy Early microbrewery there. It's fine stuff. A stop at the cliffs should wake you up and from there, you could stop at the Poulnabrone Dolmen, perhaps a stop in Ballyvaughan, then Dunguaire Castle. All of that stopping will keep you awake with the longest drive being from Shannon to the Cliffs.

We'll be there in May also, probably arriving on the 13th (Yikes, I just realized that's Friday the 13th).

Bill
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:27 AM
gig
Original Poster

Bill,

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions! We will be arriving a week earlier than you. Hope your trip is enjoyable.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Hi gig:

We'll be headed north eventually making it to Donegal and then circling into Dublin. The plan is still rough, but for me, the planning is the fun part.

Bill