Search

Amazing Race

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:08 PM
SW

Amazing Race

Anyone else watch the Amazing Race each week and just dream of how much fun that would be. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:18 PM
xxx

Well, a little bit of fun, but I can't imagine going all around the world to some of the top spots and never having any time to see anything. They make a big deal out of doing the one most touristy thing in each city, but the contestants sure don't get to see or experience anything. I'd find that frustrating.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Me

The locations are great, but frankly the game just looks exhausting to me. I don't think I'd actually enjoy participating.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:09 PM
no thanks

I think I'd end up ahaivng a meltdown like Flo. I much prefer to travel by letting the world pass me by...&amp; not have other contestants pass me by.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Julie

Oh my god, that Flo girl just totally lost it. I hated to see her win because her partner did all the work while she whined and abused him. It was funny at the end when he said the romance didn't work out. Talk about an understatement. Hope poor Zac gets as far away from her as possible.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Sherry

Even though the pace is like running-around-with-your-hair on fire, I think it would be awesome to travel to all those different countries. Watching is fun because it brings back all the memories from the places I have visited. (and it makes me want to visit other places even more!) <BR><BR>PS. I really wanted Ken and Gerard to win!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:28 AM
John

It was certainly a lot of fun to watch &quot;The Amazing Race&quot; this last season (agree about Flo; talk about a spoiled princess!). The best part about it is that you get to see and learn aspects of a country you wouldn't get to see otherwise. The program actually made me consider visiting VietNam. New Zealand was breathtaking; Namibia was mesmerizing. I never missed an episode. &quot;The Mole&quot; in Italy last season was another quite entertaining show.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:45 AM
x

ttt

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:56 AM
BeachBoi

I tape it to catch the scenery.IMHO, the shots are great especially the Vietnam episodes.Definitely made me want to go.Austria,Germany I thought also better than SOM shots.The Twins proved that getting TOO caught up in being the leaders can cost ya the whole race.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:40 AM
raisin

i enjoyed watching that show too although i missed some of the earlier episodes (I started watching when they were leaving Mexico)...and like everyone who prides their self-sufficience and independence, Flo shouldn't have gotten a penny! Zac deserved the million dollars all by himself!<BR><BR>Anyway, this is kinda off-topic but i was surfing the wintersilks website looking for those silk longjohns everyone raves about and guess who I saw?!---one of the twins---i thought it was pretty funny, but then again i'm bored silly right now...forgive me

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Matt

<BR>I love this show for many reasons which I won't go into. However, I thought the first series was the best as it was a new concept, no one knew what to expect (neither the contestants nor the viewers) and the contestants seemed to be in genuine awe and wonder of their varied surroundings, as well as much more courteous and respectful generally to their hosts than their later counterparts. The two subsequent series, including the one just past, seemed to be all about the money and the game, and seemed to show the worst of what people can be as tourists. However, I believe that a large part of it is in the editing which drives the ratings, and that things may not have really been as rushed and harassed as we were made to see. I loved seeing all the countries they visited though, and it brought back great memories of places I've been to such as Grindelwald, Cambridge, Paris, Fez, etc. Looking forward to the next series.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:42 PM
around

That show is fantastic! We're actually planning a trip to Portugal later this year because of it! Not repeling down Cabo da Roca however! When does the next series start? (by the way, we were Ken and Gerard fans as well)!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Anna

I've got to check out the wintersilks web site for one of the twins! I love the show, sent a tape in to try out but never got a call (not that I was expecting one). I don't think anyone could whine more than Flo -- Zach deserved all of the prize money. If I were selected I would suck it up and go with it - you know what you're getting yourself into when you try out. I wouldn't like running past all of the sights and not being able to enjoy them though. The race has to be really wearing physically and emotionally. <BR><BR>We actually traveled to Thailand last year after the first season of the Amazing Race inspired us (remember where they went rock climbing? The beaches were incredible and we even saw the route marker from where they were lowered into the long tail boats). We also found that travel in Asia is incredibly easy. We're leaving next week to return to Thailand and to go to Cambodia and VietNam - we were psyched when we saw it on the race. I started liking Ian more when they went to VietNam on the Race. I'm hooked on Asia now!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Giovanna

We got into the show several weeks after it started and enjoyed it very much. Agree with above comments re Flo; absolutely killed me that she won. Would also have been pleased if Gerard and Ken won, but no kudos for Ian and Terry? I thought they were superb, competing with all the &quot;youngsters&quot; and coming in first on several legs. Guess you have to be my age to appreciate how well they did!

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Matt

<BR>To be honest, I was rooting for Terri and Ian from about half way though the game, purely on the great way that they were playing it, given the obstacles they were up against and the lack of cooperation they were getting from the other players. From the many posts I've read on other boards about the show everyone seems to focus on their behaviour to each other, but if they've been married for 20+ years (and seemingly very happily, at that) what should that matter to anyone ? They were a great smart team, came through the challenges with flying colours and I can only hope to be able to do all that they did when I get to their age...in 15 yrs. ! Flo was awful to watch and Zach deserves more than all the money in the world for what he had to put up with. I agree Asia is great to travel within and I look forward to going to Thailand and Vietnam some day. I've been to Singapore, Malaysia and Tokyo and found getting around really easy and enjoyable. What countries/places would you like to see them go to in the next series (if there is one )?<BR>My vote would be any where in South America, such as Macchu Pichu in Peru. Can you imagine them arriving at a pit stop high up there ???

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Giovanna

Matt: Glad to see that Terri and Ian had another admirer. I too am curious whether or not another Great Race is planned. Anyone have any info?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:58 AM
natalie

I just love that show! It's fun to sometimes say &quot;look, I've been there&quot; and also shows you places you one day dream of visiting. 1st and this last season were my favs. I was hoping the older couple would win this time.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Shannon

I'm another fan of the show, but not a fan of Terri and Ian, primarily because they're about a year older than me and acted like they were 20 years older -- looked it too. If my husband treated me like Ian treated Terri -- man, you'd need more than their resident psychologist to help pull the stick shoved up his back-end.<BR><BR>Having said that, the places they show are awesome, but I agree it's disappointing that they don't have anytime to actually stop and see the places they're passing by.