Amalfi: too crowded in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to rent an apartment in Amalfi for a week, and because of work constraints we won't be able to go until late June.

We intend to hike, eat, and explore the villages, and relax in our apartment. We're not too into beaches or nightlife, and we plan to take buses/ferries and won't have a car. We're fit 30-somethings who live in a big city and tend to walk a lot all year round.

My question is about the heat and the crowds. I've read a number of posts where people advise against visiting during the high season. Is Amalfi really that unpleasant in late June/early July? I'm thinking an advantage is more ferries and ways to get around, but do you end up waiting in line forever to buy tickets Are the hiking paths totally crowded in the high season? It looks like the highs are in the upper 80s, which is close to what we have in Chicago, but I suppose that's a bit warm for a 5-hour hike to be very comfortable.

I'd love to hear from folks who've visited (and hiked, if possible) during the high season.

Thanks so much!
Melissa
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been in mid to late June and the highs were closer to mid to upper 90's. I've also been late March/early April and the highs were close to 80 and the trees were already full of lemons. I'm not sure why you are equating Chicago temps with Amalfi.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Hi Melissa,

We were there early July last year. You can probably find the trip report under my userID, but we had no problems. It was fairly hot, but as we walked around, we took breaks. We used ferries, busses, and trains to get everywhere and found it very convenient and easy. It was crowded, and we never encountered a time where we we could'nt get onto a bus we were waiting for.

Have fun.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've been there at the end of June and early July and found the weather great. Yes, it was warm, very warm, but not that intensive humidity you get in Chicago. I'd say more like a cross between U.S. east and west coast (mild humidity). I'm from L.A., so I'm okay with heat, just not the clawing Washington D.C. in the summertime heat where you can't breathe.

We did no hiking, so to speak. Just walking was kind of a hike, especially in Positano. You'll also be there for the Montepertuso (a town located above Positano -- meaning "Hole in the Mountain&quot Madonna festival, which is so much fun, with fireworks display (it's supposed to be a reinactment of the fight between the Madonna and the Devil) and the town's people's orchestra playing outside the local church. Lots of street action, food, and cheap stuff to buy. Love those Italian festivals!
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:05 PM

Great question -- I was wondering the same thing. We will be in Positano in late June and I was worried about the crowds.

Surfergirl, when exactly is the Montepruso Madonna festival?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
July 2nd for Montepertuso -- I think it's the same day each year. In Amalfi, there's fireworks and music marking the miracle saving Amalfi from a pirate aroudn June 27th.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM

I would suggest "far from the madding crowd!" but, then, I say "better in June than never" so, please, enjoy Amalfi Coast, you will appreciate it.

Ciao.

Vincenzo
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM

Thanks, SUrfergirl,
we will miss both, however, as we will be too early.

I agree, vincenzo,
better June than never!!
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Have been there twice in late June and early July and it was very, very hot. High 90's and humid. Our tour guide said it was the "African Bubble" and these temps were above normal. But all three times in Italy during that time of year, they said the exact same thing. We still enjoyed Italy even with the heat and crowds. If that is the only time you can go, then be sure to do it. Better than sitting at home.
dave
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

This is great feedback, thanks! I was leaning on the "better June than never" side of things, and think having a week and an apartment will allow us to have a less hurried pace and make alternate plans if it's just too hot to hike some days. I'll also make sure we get an apartment with air conditioning!

I'm surprised but glad to hear that the humidity might be less than what I'm used to here; it really does make a big difference.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in!
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Late May and early June are great times to visit the Amalfi Coast
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM

I've been to Amalfi and other resorts on the Amalfi Coast, always in June. Mostly it has been hot - consistently 28-32 degrees C - but one year the weather was variable and even sometimes chilly prior to the 15th.

The beaches are crowded with locals at the weekend, otherwise no problems. Although I have seen people (turning up at the last minute) not be able to get on a bus as it was full.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM

P.S. Just seen that ""better June than never" line - June is my first choice ! But not before the 15th
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Caroline! I've been to places in northern italy several times, but have never been to Amalfi and really want to make it happen this trip!