Amalfi hotel

Old May 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
rml
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi hotel

will be in amalfi in Sept for 2 days. would like hotel with ocean view , if possible access to beach and walking distance to town. any suggestions...
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Price range?
Old May 14th, 2010, 04:03 PM
rml
Original Poster

$150 to $200 i know i am probably asking for alot! thanks
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM

If you are staying in Amalfi town the

http://www.hotelilnido.it/

is great. We stayed there in 4/08 for 90E, balconey ocean view. It has best view in town. Owner was great help. Even parked our car couple of times. Would not hesitate to stay again. BUT is a serious hike from heart of downtown for 60+ like us. We had place to ourselves so it was not a problem to drive down and park. Wife sprained her ankle two weeks before we went so walking was not possible.

Amalfi town is very pleasant place with good eats, BUT is white knuckle drive into and out. Takes close to an hour to drive a few miles. Fortunately was April so there was little traffic. Did have Rick Steves moment when met a bus and other drivers got out and coached us. We have driven all over Italy since 1986 and this drive was the only one which has intimidated us. Take a bus or hire a driver so u can enjoy the drive. Best views are from the ferry so try to work a ferry trip in.

Knowing what we know now, we would have stayed in Sorrento.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:11 PM
rml
Original Poster

charlesg thanks!just checked out hotel il nido your right what beautiful views. about how long does it take to walk to town and is it safe to walk at night.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM

We never walked it, but am guessing it's about 1/2 mile. There is a tunnel about half way and I think it has pedistrain walkway (i think there is a tunnel). There are also stairs near the tunnel that you can walk down and go along the water. Is uphill coming back.

Do a google satellite view of Amalfi. Il Nido is on left, west, u can see how far it is.

We drove in from the Salerno side twice and it took at least an hour. The tour buses go west to east so you meet them head on that way. And you are on the inside of the road and not hanging out over the water when u meet a car.

There a side road not far from Il Nido that comes out very close to Pompei. Is a little scarie going up the hill but once you are on top it is not bad.

If you go to Amalfi and want to see Ravello, u can't drive to it. We didn't know that until we tried to drive up. Bus goes there from town square.

Ferries run from Amalfi to Positano, Sorrento, and Capri. I think there is one to Salerno too.

It rained half the time we were there. Hope u have better luck. Have had rain at least half the time on last 6 trips. 2 to France, 1 in Bavaria, 3 in Italy. We go in April and September. Thinking about hiring out as a rain maker. We're going back to the lakes and probably Tuscany last two weeks in Sept. Glad we went to Amalfi but we are more mountain types and have to make ourselves go somewhere other that Tuscany and the lakes.

my email is [email protected] feel free to ask any other questions. Happy planning and never pass up a WC.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM

forgot. you are safe. we feel safer in Italy than we do in Houston. I had rather drive there than here. In Italy u know exactly what the drivers are going to do. They pull out in front of you, they tail gate, they whip in and out, etc., so you always know to be ready. At least they don't have suvs.
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:08 PM

I stayed here on my last trip to Amalfi. See if it meets your price range for your dates. I recommend it VERY highly. It is just off the main street in Amalfi, so within steps of shops and restaurants, yet there is no noise if you take a room away from the street. The staff are exceptionally lovely. You can walk to the beach in 5 minutes:

http://www.hotelfloridiana.it/en/index.asp
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 04:39 PM

I am also considering going to the Amalfi Coast and staying in Amalfi. I am looking for a hotel close to the beach with a nice view and a balcony in the same price range. We would be taking public transportation and I was wondering if either of these hotels are close to the bus/ferries. If not, can you recommend a hotel that is close to the bus. Is there only 1 place to catch the bus in Amalfi? Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:03 AM

Hotel Floridiana is about a 3 minute walk to the main road and the bus stop; all of the buses stop in the same general area on the main road; there are subtle distinctions between the areas at which they stop, depending on the destination, but you can find this out once you arrive.

The walk to the beach is also about 3 minutes. You can have a room with a balcony but there is a view only of the town, not of the sea. Nevertheless, it is a terrific place to stay in Amalfi. The staff speaks perfect English and will go out of their way to assist guests.

Amalfi is small and almost all of the hotels are within a few minutes' walk of the buses, ferries, and the beach. If you do not mind steps, you could try this hotel; they will carry your luggage for you:

http://www.residencedelduca.it/eng/index.htm

This hotel is closer to the sea, and has rooms with sea views:

http://www.labussolahotel.it/

This gets good reviews and is in a great, convenient location:

http://www.lanticoconvitto.com/
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:09 PM

EKSCRUNCHY: Thank you so much for the information. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I was reading your trip report yesterday and now I am sure Amalfi will make the perfect base for our trip to the Amalfi Coast. I will look into the other hotels your suggested. Do you know anything about the hotel fontana?

http://www.hotelfontanaamalfi.com/
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Sorry, Deb, I do not know that one...
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:41 AM

This looks worth investigating.

Central location; double room rates from 100 to 150 euro depending on size and season; wifi;

http://www.residenzaluce.it/default.asp?l=2