Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Private Driver in various parts of Ireland

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to Ireland next week. We land in Shannon and would need a driver to transport us to Clifden where we will be spending the first 3 nights at a friend's house. We would need a driver starting in the Clifden/Galway area for day trips and then to take us to Ashford. While in Ashford we don't need a driver but we do need a driver to take us from Ashford back to Shannon airport. Does anyone have any recommendations for a driver??
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Is there a physical reason you would cannot drive yourself? If not, renting a car and driving would be far less expensive. If you think you may have problems driving on the opposite side of the road, if say you are from the States, don't worry about it. It becomes very easy. Also, since you are arriving in Shannon, the drive out is easy and allows you time to get acclimated without heavy city traffic to contend with.

dave
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

daveesl- Thanks for your response. Driving on the opposite side of the street was our concern. Thanks for the heads up. I guess maybe we should consider driving on our own???
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM

I drove for the first time on the left on a trip to Ireland. It becomes second nature, since everything is 'setup' on the left side. Out in the country, there could be times where there is no left/right, just a track.

Only item to think about is manual or automatic. We had auto. I drive a standard at home. The standard driving 'bits' are also flipped. So I never had to try standard.

If renting, do consider getting the insurances.

Driving in Ireland is majestic. Some of the views are just breathtaking. Being able to stop and look at them, or to just decide to see an upcoming sight, was reason enough to want to have a car. Some photo moments included stopping to let sheep cross the road, valleys of multi-shades of green, and of course getting lost in the West lands, and not being able to read the Gaelic road signs.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM

It was several years ago, but we hired a driver who picked us up at the Dublin airport, transported us into Dublin for a few days' stay then came back and drove us literally around the island, back to Dublin for our return flight. It really was not much more than renting a car when you factor in taxes, insurance and fuel. I thought I would dislike not having my own wheels, but it was one of the most enjoyable trips ever. No worries about navigation or parking, drop off and pick up at entrance to places visited, driver knew ins and outs (when to visit, when to avoid crowds, etc.).
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM

The only weird part you have to get used to are the round-abouts and left hand turns. While they make perfect sense, at first they can be a bit daunting, but you'll quickly get used to them. Too bad they don't exist much in the US. As to the left turns, just remember to not cross the road when turning left. After a few, it becomes second nature.

Calculate your driving speed at about a 30-35mph average. Most roads are very small, but usually really beautiful.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM

I love driving on the left. I was nervous my first time, but just take it slow and easy and you'll get it.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thnak you all for building up my confidence. I will take everyone's advice and try it on our own.