Amalfi coast with teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of going to Amalfi coast and Capri with our two sons age 13 and 19 in july. Would anybody recomend it? Or those destinations mostly for couples and honeymooners?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM
ira

Hi J,

When we stayed in Praiano, the local kids met every evening at the square in front of the church. Properly supervised, of course.

Your 19 year old will find people his age at the local restaurants and the gelato shops.

You might find the AC part of my trip report helpful.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:23 PM

We took our kids ( now 17 and `14) to Sorrento, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast two summers ago, and they still rave about it.

We split our 12 days between Sorrento, Capri, and Positano. Of those destinations, Sorrento, although tacky and overrun with tour buses, was the most appealing for kids. It has a wonderful old town to explore, as well as a marina where artists set up for the day. In addition, it makes a good base for easy connections to Pompeii ( train ride is about 30 minutes) or Capri ( about 25 min. by hydrofoil). We found that a lot of teens hung out at night in the old town and also in the main square, Piazza Tasso. There were also quite a few internet cafes available.

Positano is beautiful, dramatic, and does cater to couples and honeymooners more than families. But it's definitely worth at least a day trip ( I'd recommend taking the boat) from Sorrento. Positano is a city of stairs- and you have to be prepared to climb back and forth uphill and down to most destinations.

In Capri, we did a wonderful private boat tour of the island,which included a trip to the touristy but well-worth it Blue Grotto. Sometimes due to water conditions, it's impossible to get into the grotto, but if you're lucky enough to make it, the kids can swim inside, which is an amazing experience. Because of the colors of the grotto, your body turns a shimmery blue as you swim, and my kids just loved it. Also there's an enormous echo inside the grotto which is quite amusing.

There's also good hiking trails in the area, if your kids enjoy doing that. I would check previous posts by walkamalfi who seems to have good information about where these start.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip!