Amalfi Coast Question

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast Question

I will be traveling to the Amalfi coast at the end of May. I will be leaving from there to go to Rome for three nights. There is a 1000AM ferry that departs Positano for Salerno where I will be taking a train to Rome. If the train departs Salerno at 1142AM, will I be able to get there in time to make the train? Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Certainly you must have a predicted arrival time, or a transit time, for the ferry. I haven't taken that ferry before, but my guess is that if it is nonstop, it will take at least 30 to 45 minutes. Then the real problem begins, getting to the train station from where the ferry lands. It sounds to me like a tight connection. From the port to the train station at Salerno is less than a mile as the crow flies, so you would have a chance if you grab a taxi and don't encounter any traffic delays. Good luck.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:03 AM
ira

Hi tm,

AFAIK the ferry from Positano to Salerno takes about 70 min.

It's about 10-15 min from the dock at P.zza della Concordia to the train station.

The only problem is that ferry schedules are less reliable than train schedules.

You will make both the 13:42 ES* and the 12:49 IC to Roma Tiburtina.

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I can walk that stretch in hardly more than 5 min, although might need a LOT of time getting oriented and tix in the station. Don 't waste time looking for a taxi; there is only a short driveway in that direction and you have to mostly walk anyway. Be first off the boat and walk straight inland. The station is just out of sight (verify with maporama or...)
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:52 AM

In the car, we headed west, then south on the Autostrada, A16, then A30, to Salerno. At Salerno, we followed the “Amalfi Coast” signs to the coast road. And yes, Europe's Most Beautiful Stretch of Coast did not disappoint us!!

This coastline is dotted with small picturesque villages and towns stacked precariously on steep, pale rocky cliffs plunging sheer into the the Mediterranean Sea. Legend has it that Hercules loved a nymph called Amalfi and when she died, Hercules buried her in the world's most beautiful place and, in her honor, he gave the place her name.

By car, this road offers some dramatic and breathtaking scenery! (I loved Southern Italy). However, the super narrow serpentine road that winds around the cliffs is by no mean easy to drive! We were watching the mirrors at each corner for on coming cars prior to turning right (clockwise) around blind curves! At some places it is so narrow that two vehicles can hardly pass and have to back up to yield way to each other. And if a bus is coming down the road.. yikes!!

At Amalfi, we turned inland and took the mountain road back to the Autostrada A3, then onto A1 and back to Roma.