Search

Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast or Cinque Terre?

Hello!

I've a trip to Italy planned in the first week of June and I'll be traveling to Italy from Switzerland (most likely since it's not confirmed yet).

I've seen a number of pictures of Cinque Terre and I really love the scenery - how the houses are perched on the cliffs and all. My problem now is, I've 4 days to spare in either place, and I'm not sure which would best suit myself (and my SO) since both places seem rather similar in terms of environment.

I'll be stopping by Florence for 2 nights (I was there previously for 3 nights), then going onto Rome for 3 nights (I was there for 6 nights the last time). I have another 3 nights to spare before flying home from Rome. I'm also planning to make a trip to Pompeii during my stay in Rome (if I'm not going to Amalfi).

My purpose of visiting either place is:
1. Scenic spots to take photographs
2. Have romantic strolls with my SO, and to just soak up the sun/sea
3. Some mild hiking
4. Good food (of course)

I've read reviews that CT is overly infested with tourists, but I've not done enough reading on Amalfi to verify if it's the same there. Any thoughts anyone? Will both places be extremely crowded in the first week of June?

My entire Italian itinerary is pretty much malleable since I can spare about 10 days for Italy and I'm going to Florence/Rome to revisit places I really liked my last trip there and to explore new places. I also love history and architecture as well as nature, if that helps
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Both regions will be packed with tourists. Both are lovely though so don't be put off completely by that. If you want to hike then CT is generally considered the perfect spot for that, and I'd have to agree.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is more, and more varied, hiking on the Sorrentine Peninsula.

http://www.summerinitaly.com/plannin...ento_capri.asp

http://www.amalficoastweb.com/amalfi...ing_guide.html
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 11:24 AM

The Amalfi Coast would definitely be my choice. It is spectacular and one of the "must visit" areas of Italy. Or alternatively why don't you base yourself on the Island of Capri and perhaps take a day trip to Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano etc. Capri ticks all your boxes with romantic walks, wonderful scenery and good restaurants. Tourits and Italy are a fact of life and the world goes there for the same reasons as you want to, so don't be deterred.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Pizza or pesto?

Not many "strolls" in le Cinque Terre, or "mild" hiking. But Amalfi is a LOT of staircases. If you get out le Cinque Terre, there is varied hiking on the Italian Riviera. But in either place, it's not mild, especially in June, when the sun is blazes. Both are "infested" with tourists. If you want to get away from that, go to Cetera or Cilento.

If architecture and "history" mean a lot to you, there's more Roman and Greek stuff in better shape in the Amalfi.

There are no "must visit" areas in Italy. Tourists are only a "fact of life" in a very tiny percentage of Italy, which is no more beautiful than the other parts so far as I've seen.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

to jean: thanks for the links!

to all: thank you for the advice, it really helps me to make up my mind! btw, i come from near the equator where temperatures hit >30degree celsius most of the time, so Amalfi will be rather mild

i've another additional question: i'm hoping to cover the following places in 4D3N (full days)
Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento, Pompei/Paestum/Herculaneum (I havent decided which 'ruin' to visit - any suggestions?) and Positano. Is this packing too much in 4 days? After reading downunder's post, I'm even thinking of adding Capri. I've read a number of itineraries which visit similar places, but I'm not too sure how rushed this will be. Using common sense, I think it's way too much for just 4 days, but I've no idea which to remove based on what I've read so far, because all of them seem to fit my criteria!
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 01:43 AM

It's always a personal decision that has to be based on your own interests. For history, I would not miss Pompeii/Herculaneum (can be combined in a day) and Paestum; for hiking and superb views, Ravello. Sorrento is totally overrun by mass-market tourists, largely from the UK, and Positano by upmarket tourists, chiefly from the US. I personally found Capri missable. Amalfi often gets a bad rap, because it's the only town on the coast that has parking for tour buses, but I found it more "real" than Positano, and I'd probably base there. It's also about as convenient for transport as any place on the coast, because it's where the bus routes start, to Sorrento and Pompeii in one direction and Salerno and Paestum in the other, and in season it's also well served by boats in both directions.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Zerlina that the decisions are yours to make.

We enjoyed Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum quite a bit. We also preferred Amalfi over Positano, but it's the farthest from everything else on your list with the exception of Ravello. So, you trade charm for travel time, and in a relatively short visit time is precious.

I wouldn't miss the archeological museum in Naples, and I'd choose one excavation or the other, not try to visit both on this trip. You could combine one with the archeo museum in a single day.

If you plan to spend much time hiking, you'll have to pare down your list significantly, although you can spend a day on Capri hiking from end to end.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

thanks guys, your comments really do help because it's easier for me to sieve out information from the internet based on the advice given