Amalfi Coast - Late March

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast - Late March

My wife and I are planning to go to the Amalfi Coast for our first visit on the 28th March (we can't travel later in the year). We are wondering what to expect in the way of weather and if the weather should be a factor in deciding where to stay?? We would stay for five nights before heading to Rome. We are hoping to relax, enjoy the sights and get to know the people and the area a little. We like to walk but can't do major hikes.

Any recommendations would be helpful. We are hoping to stay in a place that is not overun with people and traffic - maybe it will all be this way at that time - we don't know. Prices seem a bit lower now so we could afford something in the way of Santa Caterina in Amalfi.
We will read the posts for restaurants and things to see, but if there is anything generally unknown that you would advise we would love to hear about it.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM

I cannot guarantee the weather, but I would have no hesitation about visiting the area at that time of year. SC in Amalfi is fabulous. Just know that you need to walk from the hotel to the town, which will take you about 10 minutes; part of this is along the main road. I have done it and it was not a problem.

Another option, closer to the town, is Luna Convento. I visited both and, all things being equal, I would choose SC. LC is likely less expensive, though.

http://www.lunahotel.it/

One more option, if you do not mind relying on the bus to take you into town, would be the Belvedere in Conca dei Marini:

http://www.belvederehotel.it/amalfi-...ei-marini.html
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Dear ekschunchy,

I read your wonderful trip report from last year and I hope to enjoy many of the places/restaurants you mentioned. We looked up the Floridiana but they appear to be either closed or have no vacancies for the time we can go. Both SC and LC have rooms.

We are a bit intrigued by what we have read about Ravello and wonder what you might think about that as a base.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I amsoo glad you enjoyed the report!

I think Ravello is a bit out of the way. If you wanted to do a lot of relaxing around the hotel pool it would be good. OR if you plan have a car. But I would not have to rely on the SITA bus to travel from Ravello for excursions everyday. (Although there are many walks you could do from there.) I would look on the coast. The Belvedere, which I liked above, appears to be closed for your dates.

Between LC and SC it is a difficult choice! LC gets points for location, but service and rooms will be nicer at the SC. The SC is in a class above the Luna.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I don't think there will be a lot of relaxing around the pool in March. the wether may be plesant or it may be chily and rainy. It shuoldn't be crowded, and infact, some hotels and restaurants may not be open for the season yet.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

No! We weren't planning on bringing bathing suits - just not running around to too many places. There seem to be different opinions on whether Capri is worth a day trip or a short stay. We wouldlike to take a nice boat ride to see the coast from the water ( we will have windbreakers)

Ek...Thanks for the info on the SC. I also read the postings today re: the Rome trip. It made me realize we would do well to have a guide for the three days we will have in Rome. (assuming we don't decide to eliminate Rome and have 8 nights on the Amalfi Coast)
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM

NYT: That was my point. You cannot relax around a pool in March, so I would not stay in Ravello.

Blej: You could go either way. I think a trip that combines Amalfi with Capri would be idyllic. On our most recent trip we decided against visiting Capri for one day. But you have time to stay a few nights.

I think a guide for at least one day in Rome would be good. Barring that, a walking tour with a small group..let me know if you want ideas.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I've been there at the time you are considering and the days were beautiful, sunny, blue skies, warm in the sun, great weather for walking, temps generally in the 60s. However, the nights were quite cool, cold even, and you might want to take this into consideration when deciding where to stay.

We had no heat in our room after April 1, and were told it's common for heat to be turned off then. One person even told us it's required - have no idea if this is true or not. Even cuddling close, under what extra blankets we could get, and wearing thermal underwear, socks and extra sweatshirts to bed, we were cold. And stepping out of a hot shower into a freezing cold bathroom in the mornings was excrutiatingly exhilarating. You might want to make sure your accommodation will provide heat for you if requested.

Another thing, the days are still somewhat short then, and it will likely be getting toward dark by the time you want to head out to walk someplace for dinner, and definitely dark when you want to walk back to your lodgings after. This is not a problem if you're in town and restaurants are nearby on well-lit streets, but not so pleasant walking along poorly lit main roads with traffic.

Capri is worth a day trip or a few nights or a week or a month! But that's just my opinion - I've returned over and over again and can't wait to go again in May. Here are some of my photos, if you'd like to see why I like it so: http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c812668.html (I feel the same about Ischia: http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c814381.html and Procida: http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c1544804.html But that's beside the point, of course.) You may be able to get there for a day from Amalfi, and you may not, depending upon the seas.

Have you considered staying in Sorrento or along the Circumvesuviana and visiting Amalfi, Ravello, etc. on day excursions by bus? Easy enough to do and you will be better positioned to get to Capri if that's what you want to do. I stayed in Vico Equense a few years ago. Vico has its own stop on the Circumvesuviana, about 10 minutes ride from Sorrento. Clinging almost perilously to the cliffs, it is an unspoilt small town with fine views over the Bay of Naples. Picturesque narrow streets, interesting churches and walks through the olive groves in the hills above the town make it a lovely place to stay: http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c1661993.html
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was there the middle of April last year, and wouldn't have wanted to swim! But I was also glad to not have terrible crowds.

If you have the money and don't mind moving, I would consider a one night stay in Ravello just for the fabulous views, but not longer. I would also recommend staying on Capri for 2 or 3 nights, as it felt quite different after the day-trippers left. Or at least take one of the walks. My Capri pix are here - kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/519560 - password "capri".
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I can feel everyone's passion for the places they like. Each post leaves you feeling like you are there and want to return. We have suffered in the past from moving around to two many places. For this trip I think we are moving towards staying in one place (pardon the pun) while on the AC - in Amalfi. We will certainly visit Capri. Part of the reason is that we have 10 nights altogether and are now considering traveling around Puglia for the last five. That will likely require two more accomodations.

I had thought we would fly in and out of Rome because there are some very low fares in March. However there are also good fares to Naples and my wife does not want to go to visit Rome this trip. We both like touring the countryside and after reading the Puglia posts we are intrigued. I will likely post separately for this but we are thinking of driving north from Amalfi to the coast and as far south as Ostuni and Matera before heading back to Naples.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for making you suffer a wrong "two". There were just too many of them.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM

I think that would be a terrific trip! I would have done something similar myself last year if I had had 10 nights.
(We only had 7 nights)

Here is a thread I began in the preliminary planning stages; maybe there are some helpful nuggets within:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tum-puglia.cfm
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Hi there,

Well, besides the fact that I live in Positano, on the Amalfi Coast, I think it pertinent to mention that Positano is perhaps the best place to base oneself if you're wanting to then go and explore nearby towns, i.e. Amalfi, Ravello, Sorrento, etc etc. The SITA bus links the towns, though at the moment, and for an indefinite period of time at this point, the main road heading towards Amalfi is closed for 1 km. You can take the bus to Praiano, then you have to walk a kilometre and get on another bus to continue the ride to Amalfi.

At that time of year the ferries very well may not be operating from Amalfi or Positano - and you need a ferry to get to Capri. They are already operating between Sorrento and Capri, so again, staying in Positano, which is closer to Sorrento, would simplify travelling logistics somewhat. You could take the SITA bus to Sorrento and take the ferry from there across to Capri.

If you'd like a few suggestions on accommodation options in Positano, let me know.

The weather could play havoc with your plans and if the sea is too rough the ferries won't operate. The private excursion companies aren't opening, for the most part, until just before Easter, but doing an excursion along the coast and to Capri is fantastic....maybe another trip!

The Amalfi Coast and Capri are quiet at that time of year so you needn't worry about being over-crowded. Most hotels, restaurants & shops are closed until just before Easter, except for Sorrento, which being a bigger town, is generally a hub of activity.

There are WONDERFUL walks you can do around here! Depending on our level of fitness and/or length of time you want to be out walking, relevant suggestions can be made. Talking about walks, the best of Capri is also found out walking...You queried the need for a guide - check out Positano Adventure Walks for more info.

PUGLIA

I haven't read any of the posts for this area, but I was there last year and loved it!

From Amalfi you'd have to head towards Agerola in the moutains and cross over there to join up with the A3 highway, or drive the coastal road down to Salerno and join up with it there.

The A3 then heads south and you'll need to continue east and across country along the S407 - E847. Matera is just too special. We stayed at a fabulous B & B called La Locando di San Martino right in the heart of the 'sassi' - our room had been part of a church (deconsecrated!). Lovely rooms, great buffet breakfast, friendly, efficient service. Matera is in the region called Basilicata, which borders Puglia.

Puglia is full of interesting places to explore and drive through: Alberobello (interesting architecture, but tacky Chinese junk up for grabs everywhere), Monopoli, Polignano, Ostuni, and all the places inbetween - it's lovely driving through the countryside - 500 year old gnarled olive tree's stand routed in red soil like ancient sentinels - people are open and friendly and prices more reasonable.

When you drive back to Naples, try plan things so you don't arrive on the outskirts of Naples in the dark - the road signage is not great and it can be quite disconcerting trying to find your way around, + there are roadworks in progress on some of the roads, just to complicate things...and let's not forget the crazy Napoletan drivers!!

Sunset at the moment is at 18:00 so by the end of March you'll have at least an extra half an hour - and the clocks will change around then too, giving you some extra daylight.

Hope this all helps!

Best regards
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Hi blej...thought about this some more and thought to add these thoughts:

We've have so much rain here, more than anyone can remember falling during a winter, and as a result there have been a lot of rock-falls (this is the reason why the section of the main road is closed at the moment - there's a large part of the rockface threatening to fall).

I mention this because the walks in the mountains, to someone unfamiliar with them, could be potentially dangerous. I'm not mentioneing this to frighten you off, but rather that it would be wiser to do them with someone who really knows the terrain.

I love doing the paths - as does my Beagle pup! The natural beauty is something to behold, the views breath-taking, the fresh pine scents envigorating...the best kind of therapy!

Regards.