Search

Amalfi Coast Itinerary July

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast Itinerary July

Hi All,

Well, thanks to all your help, I somewhat came up with an itinerary. Please do comment to let me know what you all think. I know it's a short trip but that is all we could do. The flights have already been booked.

Day 1 (July 2)-land at Naples airport and take airport bus to Sorrento-go to hotel, il nido. I estimate we should be there around 3. That evening, just hang out in Sorrento and go have dinner in Positano.

Day 2 - take the early morning ferry to Capri and then ferry to Amalfi around 3- 4 pm. Walk around Amalfi and go to Ravello, and then head back to Sorrento.

Day 3- go to Pompeii in the morning, leave luggage, and then go to Naples (museum if time), have dinner at one of the famous pizzerias, and then head to the hotel near the airport. Our flight leaves the following morning to Greece.

Please let me know if this seems OK or if I should switch something around. My plan was to switch Capri to Day 3 and then ferry to Naples in case the Blue Grotto was closed.

Thanks,
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Very ambitious itenary! Day 1?Doubt if you'll make it to Positano. Day 2?Don't think you'll manage Ravello. Day 3?....Well that's just cloud cuckoo land. BE REALISTIC!
Sorry, but having done all of these trips, in some cases, several times, I think your itenary is near impossible,certainly if you wish to experience any of your destinations.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

We have done very hectic itineraries below and I think we could manage this. I took a lot of suggestions from the board, many books, and travel agents.

We are just going to sightsee and hopefully go back later to fully experience each location if we can; this was not meant to be a week long resting trip..if that helps.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM

You have a very ambitious itinerary which would exhaust most mortals, so I'd suggest playing it by ear, and seeing how you feel once you arrive.

Also I think you may have underestimated the ease of getting place to place along the Amalfi Coast. Positano is at least a 30 min taxi ride ( expensive!) from Sorrento, about 45 minutes by boat depending on time of day, and probably longer by SITA bus since the bus makes many stops along the way.

We've had boats cancelled between Capri and Positano or Amalfi even on sunny days due to rough water or high winds.

And buses between towns often run late and are full depending on the time of year, meaning that you may have to wait for a few of them before you can even get on.

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. If you had to skip one of the 3 towns, Amalfi, Positano, or Ravello, which one would it be?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:20 AM
HKP

Beyond ambitious, unrealistic. All you need is one hitch and the whole stack of dominoes falls.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:29 AM

I think it really depends what you're looking for. Positano is gorgeous with outstanding views from the top of town, but it can also feel like tourist central, especially in the summertime.

Amalfi feels more like a real working town than Positano, but for me it doesn't have the ambience or the views.

Ravello's gardens should not be missed.To get there, you have to take a bus from Amalfi, and sometimes, as I mentioned before, those buses are packed.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM

By the way, when you're in the area, definitely go to Montepertuso for lunch or dinner. The views from many of the restaurants there are wonderful, and the food is amazing. Montepertuso is a small mountain village, about a 15. min taxi drive from Positano. Many of the restaurants arrange roundtrip transportation for guests staying in Positano, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM

Dear P,

I'm sorry, but honestly I think your plan is next to impossible. You would be extremely fortunate to accomplish 1/2 of it.

If you try know this: you will need advance reservations for all boats and ferries, or forget it!

Don't even try to use the SITA buses.

When you get to Capri, do not stand in the long ticket line, and then the long line for the funiculare. Take a private taxi from the marina to either Anacapri or Capri town which ever you are going first.

Watch out or you will be trampled by tour groups.

Buon fortuna!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM

Do you have any idea what the roads and the traffic along the Amalfi coast are like? I suppose you haven't.

Unless you have your private helicopter, the whole plan is impossible. Do you actually want to get off your car or boat to see places?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM

P67742,

Since you have such a limited time, I'd skip Capri, which will be swarming with day trippers during the summer months.

Instead, get up early and take the first BOAT ( not the SITA bus which is a big pain in the neck!) from the marina in Sorrento to Amalfi. Explore Amalfi, and if you feel really ambitious, try to fit in Ravello either by grabbing a cab, or taking the bus.

On day 3, try to get to Pompeii as soon as it opens or in the late afternoon. It is broiling hot during the summer months.

Totally unrelated to this, I'd love to know what airline flies from Naples to Greece? We wanted to fly that route last summer, but could only find connections between Rome, Milan, and Venice to Athens. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Weadles. I will make some changes accordingly.

The flight from Naples to Greece is not direct. We do have a short (1.5) layover in Rome with Alitalia. We redeemed all miles via Continental FF miles EWR to Nap to Rome to Ath. Yes-I booked way in advance.

I guess I am trying to do too much. Last year, we squeezed in what was thought to be an impossible trip and it turned out perfect for us- 2 days each in Rome, Venice, and Florence-although we went in November when there weren't hoards of people. Hopefully I'll be able to cover a lot-if not, we'll just have to go back again.......

Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 02:58 PM

P67742,

Have a great time in one of my favorite destinations- the Amalfi Coast! Please post when you get back!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Sure, thanks. A few more months to go.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM

I agree with the other posters that if you are going to try this itinerary by SITA bus, the bus may very well throw a wrench into your well laid plans. I visited the Amalfi Coast last September and the SITA buses were packed, it took us 4 hours to get back to Sorrento from Positano. It should have taken about 1/2 an hour. The buses get so packed that the drivers will not even stop at the bus stop. Very frustrating when the 4th bus in a row whizzes by without stopping. You begin to have visions of having to sleep on the side of the road that night. If you do decide to use the SITA bus from Sorrento, get the first one in the morning from the train station or else you will be waiting in line or you may have to stand the whole way.

You will love the Amalfi Coast though, it is beautiful. I would recommend Positano and Ravello over Amalfi. The scenery is unbeatable. The first day, I would just hang out in Sorrento. I wouldn't even try the coast in the evening unless you have a car.

I love Il Nido. Have stayed there twice. Very nice and helpful staff and great restaurant. Hotel and restaurant are a good value.
Have a great trip!
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM

I agree with the others - this would be a difficult itinerary. We went in October and every place took longer than we anticipated to traverse because it was so crowded. Lines of people waiting for buses, traffic slow from place to place. We stayed in Sorrento & loved it!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I may try to hire a driver instead now. I will contact the recommended ones and see what they suggest. Maybe on Day 1-just hand out in Sorrento, and then on Day 2-if we do make it to Capri, I can try and reserve a driver for the evening after we get back-from 3-8 or so. Do you think that would be better?
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:03 AM

I had an idea. Don't know if "Pompeii at night" is still running, but when we visited Sorrento, we were able to go to Pompeii in the early evening and take a guided tour of the grounds. The tour is a bit tacky, complete with light show at the end (!!), but it was a good way to get in a visit and avoid the heat and daytime crowds. You might want to check with the Sorrento tourist office if this appeals.

If not, can't really imagine where you'd go w/ driver from 3-8, unless your hope is to to some of the towns along the coast and have him wait for you while you have an early dinner.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
ira

Hi P,

>go to Pompeii in the morning, leave luggage, and then go to Naples (museum if time),...<

What will you do with your luggage?

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I thought about trying to do Pompeii one evening as well. Definitely will check that out. I even thought about trying to fit it in the day we arrive but we would probably be tired and the Curreri buses are far more convenient than trying to change and take the train.

When we landed in Paris last year early in the morning, we were able to sightsee the whole day without any jet lag....I guess the thrill of trying to see everything and being in an amazing place kept us going.

Ira, I was planning to first go to the hotel. Apparently Holiday Inn has shuttle busses that hopefully I will be able to find....if not, then taxi. I don't mind payingout for taxi's being that our time is so short.

Although I would love to see the museum, if it doesn't happen due to time, we'll save it for a later trip.