Amalfi coast itinerary help!

Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi coast itinerary help!

Hi all, it's been a while since I have taken any major trips and posted on Fodors but I am so happy/excited to be back to planning trips again! I have received a lot of help on this forum in the past so hoping for the same!
It is late to be booking Amalfi coast accommodations for Sept but DH has his heart set on it. It has been very challenging finding hotels, especially while trying to stay under $500 per night.
We arrive in Naples on Sept 12th from Boston, looking to return on Sept 21st or 22nd. Hoping to buy the tickets tomorrow, the fare is lower on those dates on Aer Lingus. This is the itinerary I had planned but doesn't look like it's going to turn out that way! I am also open to suggestions about how many days we should spend in each place and in Amalfi as a whole.
12th Naples - 1 night. Pvt taxi to the Amalfi coast on the 13th with a stop to Pompeii on the way.
Amalfi- 3 nights
Ravello - I night
Positano - 2 nights
Capri - 2 nights. (Ferry from Positano)
Naples - 1 night
I realize it's a lot of moving around but I am not too much into day tripping though we could do Ravello from Amalfi instead of staying a night.

However, my hotel bookings don't quite line up! Here are the refundable bookings I have so far..
Sept 14th - Ravella - Villa Piedimonte
Sept 15th - Positano - Hotel Eden Roc (my splurge since it was only available for 1 night & it sounds amazing!
Sept 17-19th Capri - Relais Maresco
But that only gives me 2 or max 3 days in Amalfi if we do that in the beginning from the 12th to the 15th and eliminate the first night in Naples.& the night in Ravella.
Ideally, if I could do the 13th & 14th in Capri (ferry from Naples), I could add Amalfi after Positano & skip the night in Ravello if needed so it would be
12th - Naples
13th & 14th- Capri
15th- Positano
16th-19th- Amalfi - Hotel Bussola (available on both sets of possible dates)
19th - Possibly a night in Salerno or Ravello
20th - Naples - flight out would be 21st morning.

Does that work? The problem is that I am not finding any suitable hotels in Capri, would definitely like a seaview and a minimum 3 star accommodation, a B&B is fine too. I have some knee issues, nothing severe, but would rather not stay somewhere with too many steps or a long walk, hence the longer stay in Amalfi.
BTW, has anyone stayed at La Bussola? Thoughts?

If we do not visit Pompeii at the beginning of the trip, we would want to stop there on the way back.

So basically I am looking to see if there are any other possible itineraries that might work with the hotel reservations I do have and if anyone can suggest hotels that may be available for our dates that do not show up on booking.com etc.

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:32 AM

Ravello is so close to Amalfi that I'd just stay in Amalfi another night and take a cab up to Ravello once or twice (worth it!).
Visit one or both of the villas in Ravello. You'll walk a lot, but not a lot of stairs once you're there.

If you don't like steps, Positano is going to be a tough one for you. It's ALL steps! (but worth it!)
Amalfi is a nice base for visiting the rest of AC and a good ferry stop as well!
A cruise up the coast from Amalfi is a great way to see it from the water as well!

I like the idea of stopping at Pompeii on the way back to Naples (do it early to avoid the heat) and then visit the Archeologic Museum in Naples after visiting the ruins. It ties things together nicely.
You can find the same guide to do both, and it makes for a great day (with a pizza in Naples for lunch).

Not much help on on Capri, but be prepared to pay a premium for everything while there.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks alandavid! All good advice!

Still struggling to see how I can make this itinerary work with the dates I have!
Seems like I may have to change my hotels so any off-the-beaten-track suggestions are recommended especially in Positano & Capri. Trying to get input from someone who has been/stayed there since accessibility can be a challenge!!
Also, anybody care to comment on La Bussola in Amalfi?
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 02:07 PM

For Capri we stayed at La Minerva and really enjoyed it. I have no idea what the rates are for your dates but every room is different. When we were there some levels had elevator access and some had a combination of elevator and steps so you'd want to check out the details on that. It's family run and very charming. Wherever you stay, check to see if they have someone to meet you at the marina to take your luggage to the hotel so you don't have to cart it with you up the hill.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 03:00 PM

We didn’t stay in Positano, but did a lot of walking there, steps and more steps, so look carefully at your hotel. Things are not that far apart, so IMHO, you do not need to change hotels so often.
I also would put Pompeii at the end rather than the beginning of the trip.
Although there is a longer walk from the train station, Herculaneum is much easier walking than Pompeii, just as interesting and beautiful.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 06:13 PM

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...lctg=181797022

interesting article.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 09:52 PM

Ive stayed in Positano and do not like steps. There were 100 down to our apartment and we had porters to carry our luggage -that is what usually happens.They carry the luggage on poles. From our apartment ther e well over 150 steps to the beach..So unless you get one of the expensive hotels with a lift to the beach I would avoid Positano.
every cafe or restaurant or store involves using stairs.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your plan if it rains for your one day at a location? What is your plan if weather prevents ferry access to Capri? Or. worse. leaving Capri?
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sassafrass, that was very helpful!

AJPeabody, I was going to ask that question - how often do ferries get canceled??
That is one major concern!! Rain we can deal with but the ferry from Capri to Positano is critical!!

This is what I have so far:

Sept 12th - Arrive in Naples
12th night ?? Stay In Naples? Ferry to Ischia?
13th & 14th - Capri - Dasa Dana Capri - 2 nights
15th - Positano - Hotel Eden Roc 1 night
16th-19th Amalfi La Bussola Hotel 3 nights (Hotel Luna Convento is an option too, though more expensive.) Opinions?
19th ? Add a night in Amalfi or stay in Ravello? Elsewhere? Maybe Salerno?
20th - Drive to Naples via Pompeii Night in Naples. Any hotel suggestions?
21st - Fly back to Boston.

How does this sound?
If there is a probability of ferries being canceled, maybe go to & from Capri a day earlier, but that means we have to find another accommodation in Positano!

Would appreciate any opinions, suggested modifications, and suggestions for filling in the two gaps. Thanks all!!!

Old Jul 4th, 2022, 12:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We also had a great experience on Capri at La Minerva. Absolute perfection! Great views, away from tourist crowds, near excellent restaurants.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

La Minerva is not available for our dates. And seems out of our budget in any case, looking at some of their rates for other dates.

The hotel in Positano told me that even if the ferry to Positano is canceled, it usually will still go to Sorrento, does anyone know if this is true?
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 09:52 AM

On Capri, We stayed at La Minerva Capri one street/ walkway from the via tragara; and the location very pretty and easy short walking distance to Faraglioni, Pizzalungo hiking trail, Capri town boutiques, shops, and restaurants, Agustus gardens and the monastery . Very beautiful walkable area. Lots of hotels in different price ranges in this area. Friends stayed at Hotel Flora which was less than La Minerva and they liked it. I would suggest to stay closer to this area than Marina Piccola in my opinion. It will be crowded with day trippers during the daytime, but the whole island is crowded during the day. From Marina Piccola will have to get a taxi to basically everywhere. And its very very hot there (and if Positano) during the day so factor the heat into your ability to walk everywhere (we were there in late September/ early October). On Capri and in and around Positano you will literally be walking everywhere and lots of stairs. I loved it, but I love walking. ON Capri, make sure your hotel/accomodations will have someone meet you at the Ferry and take your luggage for you and hopefully direct you to the funicular or a taxi. (most hotels have like bell captains that meet you at the ferry (name of hotel is on their cap) and take your luggage for you), but you wont see your luggage for a few hours in some cases so make sure you have what you need on you / with you. La minerva has a service where they meet you and walk you through town to the hotel. A great orientation. We stayed 4 nights on Capri and it was not enough. Lots to see and do in Capri; fantastic scenic hikes/walks etc. Anacapri a day trip was lovely also. We also stayed 4 nights in

Positano and that was more than we personally needed. spent one day with a driver picking us up in Positano and taking us down the coast to Amalfi and stopping for views along the way. Then on to Ravello (beautiful views and walks through the villa ruffle and cimbrone gardens - stunning). That took up one whole day from like 10 am to 5 pm. Amalfi can be seen in one afternoon (3 hours in my opinion). also very crowded. another day in Positano I would suggest doing a boat excursion down the coast (blue star Positano boats) you can jump off and swim, they will take you to caves, beaches, Praiano etc. Beautiful. 3rd day in Positano can be spend walking around Positano up and down stairs; it wears you out so be prepared. I think rather than change locations and hotels I would settle for 3 nights somewhere, because you cant usually checkin til 4, then you have to check out before noon, its just too much moving and unpacking etc in my opinion.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

caprique11 thanks, that is all very helpful!
I believe our accommodation in Capri is close to Hotel Minerva, just a few minutes walk so hopefully the location is good!!
https://www.casadanicapri.com/about/
Thanks for your suggestion of the Blue Star boat tour from Positano, definitely seems like a great idea! Their schedule shows a stop in Amalfi, did they spend a lot of time there? (Since we will have already stayed in Amalfi)
We could do 3 nights in Amalfi & 2 nights in Postano followed by 2 nights in Capri. I planned 3 nights in Amalfi thinking we could make it our base (For a short period anyway) and do the drive up the coast up to Salerno with a pvt driver one day. I did want to spend a night in Ravello though, which means we would have to cut one night from Amalfi, do you think a night in Ravello would be worth changing hotels after 2 days?

I am surprised it was so hot end Sept, I was definitely expecting it to be under 80 degrees!!
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

caprique11 thanks, that is all very helpful!
I believe our accommodation in Capri is close to Hotel Minerva, just a few minutes walk so hopefully the location is good!!
https://www.casadanicapri.com/about/
Thanks for your suggestion of the Blue Star boat tour from Positano, definitely seems like a great idea! Their schedule shows a stop in Amalfi, did they spend a lot of time there? (Since we will have already stayed in Amalfi)
We could do 3 nights in Amalfi & 2 nights in Postano followed by 2 nights in Capri. I planned 3 nights in Amalfi thinking we could make it our base (For a short period anyway) and do the drive up the coast up to Salerno with a pvt driver one day. I did want to spend a night in Ravello though, which means we would have to cut one night from Amalfi, do you think a night in Ravello would be worth changing hotels after 2 days?

I am surprised it was so hot end Sept, I was definitely expecting it to be under 80 degrees!!
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 01:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed as I wrote above at La Minerva and had great meals at
Il Gerano and Le Monzú( in Hotel Punta Tragara. For more casual, in Capri Town, da Giorgio’s
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 10:57 AM

I would not change hotels ; Ravello is a very short cab ride up the hill from Amalfi. You could spend a long day up there, com back and change for dinner and go back up without the hassle of changing hotels in my opinion. Be sure to explore the Villa Rufalo and Cimbrone, spectacular iconic views from both places. Last time we were in Positano / Capri late Sept - mid October and had many days at 80 degrees or a few above. You are literally walking / standing so much of the time and that can factor into how hot you feel; no AC or very mild AC in most places. Contact Blue Star in advance and they will arrange a tour for you and can tell you stops, timing etc. They have a variety of tour options. Enjoy!
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:41 PM

We also stayed at La Minerva on 3 different trips~wonderful! Stayed at Amalfi for 3 nights and not impressed except for limencello with chocolate.
Ravello is spectacular at Palazzo Avino and the gardens in Ravello~Eternal shelf. Had a wonderful experience at Mama Agata's cooking class and met so many new people/friends.
We visited Positano on 3 different trips and had a great meal at Max's however I love antiques and homemade pasta which they serve.
Watch Nikki on Positano on youtube which is entertaining.

Sorrento~so so -would not return
Loved Anacapri and Villa San Michelle!!!
We visited Nice, Antibes,etc after Capri and not as impressed except for EZE!
To each his own and have a wonderful trip!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, the problem is that I have the Eden Roc hotel booked for Sept 15th in Positano, they have no other availability for our dates and I really want to stay there!!
Given that, I have 3 days before that, Amalfi made the most sense. Alternately, we could go to Capri first from Naples, take a ferry to Positano on the 15th and do Amalfi after that for 4 nights. Would it be worth doing 4 nights in Ravello instead of Amalfi?

I also discovered this morning that my hotel booking for Amalfi was for the wrong month so as of now, I have no reservations for Amalfi. Any suggestions for other websites I could try other than the usual Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Airbnb, Vrbo etc? I have spent hours on these!
Is there any local agency that may be able to help?

Thanks!