Amalfi Coast

Oct 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi Coast

We are 3 adults (2 seniors) and 3 grandchildren 18yrs to 13. We want to stay a few days in either Sorrento or Amalfi. Which has the most access to things to do for the children?
Oct 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
LJ

What time of year? the beach would solve all problems for my kids but you know yours best.

I took a group of teens to Sorrento on a school trip once...they hated it the first day, but then the rain stopped and they loved it. All the kitschy lemon-memorabilia items were a huge hit with the younger teens...the older ones were equally keen on the limoncello-based drinks in the bars!
Oct 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM

When are you going? From now on until the early summer, there isn't much to do for children. In summer, swimming is something they can do. Either would work as long as your hotel has a pool.
Oct 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

We're going in June.
Oct 24th, 2012, 12:27 AM

Sorrento would be my recommendation. Amalfi will get old after the first day for your grandchildren.

From Sorrento you have easy access to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Mount Vesuvius, Capri, the Amalfi Coast (including Amalfi), and Naples. Sorrento also offers better walks with fantastic views and is more vibrant in the evenings.

You could do a week in Sorrento and still not hit all the sites.
Oct 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM

I agree with Jim21.
Oct 24th, 2012, 08:48 AM

I have just returned from the Amalfi coast and heartily agree with jim21. We had 5 nights at the Hotel Mediterraneo in Sant'Agnello ( 20 minutes easy walk from Sorrento, or the hotel has a shuttle). The hotel has a very nice swimming pool with bar and restaurant with wood fired pizzas poolside. In the season you can descend to their swimming platform in an elevator and swim in the sea.

However, if the older teens are into nightlife you may be better to stay right in the centre of Sorrento itself.
Oct 25th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

we're going in june. Anyhotel recommendations in center of Sorrento--also restaurants--not fancy.
Oct 26th, 2012, 01:18 AM

Not sure of your hotel preferences or price range. We like to stay at the Casa Astarita B&B...www.casastarita.com/ It is located on the main street (Corso Italia) but it is set back so you do not get any street noise. For Sorrento it is moderately priced and their triples are not much more than their doubles. It is very popular so if you like it make reservations well in advance... particularly if you want two rooms. (Immediately across the street is a nice laundry where you can do your own or they will do it for you.)

There are many good restaurants in Sorrento. You should check out TripAdvisor...they do a great job of rating and ranking restaurants. Personally, we like Ristorante San Antonio... www.ristorantesantonino.com/ The food is very good, not great, but what we like the best is the rooftop garden.