Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are going to be staying in Positano for 5 days in Aug. I read many of the posts about places to go but except for Pompeii, I haven't seen anything about what to SEE. What exactly is there to do or see in Ravello, Amalfi and Sorrento or are they just quaint villages to walk around. Would we want combine any for a day or half day, i.e. Pompeii and Sorrento?
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM

There are a few interesting churches in Ravello but most people go there to look at the view from the Villa Cimbrone. In Amalfi, there is the Duomo with an interesting museum attached to it. The tomb of the apostle Andrew is in the crypt. Between Positano and Amalfi is the Grotta Esmeralda. Not as famous or as beautiful as the Blue Grotto on Capri, but a nice diversion. I haven't been to Sorrento in many years, so I'm not sure what there is to actually do there. Beautiful views though of the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. You can easily combine Pompeii and Sorrento and Ravello/Amalfi/Grotto Esmeralda.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM

After visiting Pompei, you can hike Mt. Vesuvios. You can also go on a sail boat along the coast and look at it from a different perspective. There are tour operators that offer these activities. Spend the day visiting Capri, ride a taxi up and walk down. Incredible views! You'll have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM
kja

There are a number of wonderful things to see and do in these places. You might want to check out some travel guidebooks to learn more. Enjoy!

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas.
Ginisa, what is the best way to connect Pompeii and Sorrento, I was thinking of that if possible. Could we take a boat from Pompeii to Sorrento, or since we will be in Positano 5 days, would it be better to just go another day by boat Positano to Sorrento for a half day.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Also, Lalylori, that sail boat ride sounds great, where would be get it and I assume we would need reservations - I will get a guide book too.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM

By all means, do not miss out on the Isle of Capri while you're on the Amalfi Coast! (Preferably an overnighter.)
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM

There is no ferry stop at the town of Pompeii as far as I know. Both Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi are served by the Circumvesuviana commuter train, which runs very frequently. I would take a bus to Sorrento in the morning but immediately change to the local train and see Pompeii before it gets too hot. After your visit, you can either take the train to Sorrento and spend the afternoon there or take the train into Naples and see the wonderful archeologic museum which has many artifacts from Pompeii. You can take a ferry back to Positano from Naples in the evening.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM

Hi Joodeep - There are a lot of boat tour companies in the POSITANO/AMALFI area.

Here are some links:

www.gennaroesalvatore.it
www.lucibello.it
www.bludream.it

www.bluestarpositano.it
www.coopsantandrea.it
www.ladolcevitataxicharter.com (Amalfi)

www.mitopositano.it/barca.htm
www.amalfisails.it/index1.html
www.starnet.it/ornsay

www.cassiopea-positano.com
www.amalficoastlines.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM

To me it is just about lazing around enjoying the beautiful surroundings, swimming, eating, drinking & sleeping.