Amalfi Coast: 30 Oct - 5 Nov

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are visiting Naples and the Amalfi coast area for our fifth wedding anniversary. We're flying into Naples and will spend a day or two there. Then we'll rent a car, stay in Positano for 5-6 nights as our base, and do day trips from there. Several hotels(on AC) have told me they are closing at the end of October, but fortunately our top choice is open and available. It has started me wondering if a lot of restaurants, shops and/or attractions may be closing as well. Do the ferries still operate? If so, are the schedules reduced? What about Capri? Thoughts?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Some hotels and restaurants are still open, usually the family run ones who need the money. This is also the time when they renovate for the next season. It is a down time for them and may have shorter hours. But it is still beautiful and you can enjoy the peace and quiet like the locals do. Everyone is more relaxed.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Positano will be quiet as it is mainly a beach resort but Amalfi and Ravello will be much the same but without the daytrippers,Capri can be reached from Sorrento or Naples subject to weather conditions.You'll find parking easier and if you are lucky you could get sunny days but be prepared for cooler evenings.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Some things will be closed and many will be operating on reduced schedules.

If the water is rough - which happens more often at that type of year the ferries may not run at all. It's possible you may not be able to get to Capri (or if the weather worsens get stuck there overnight) and it is quite possible that you can;t see the Blue Grotto - since the opening is so low you can get in only when the water is very calm.

It will have all the benefits and the detriments of a summer resort in the off season. there are some things you can't do - but there won;t be any crowds to fight.

I would pick May or June for the Amalfi coast. Or if you must go in November I would stick with cities - where cold, rainy weather won't matter so much.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
ira

Hi LW,

May I suggest adding a day or two to Naples and reducing the AC by a day or two.

Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius and Paestum are easier to get to from Naples, ans will make nice visits if the weather is chilly.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Leslie, those are the exact same dates we went to the AC last year. Our home base was Sorrento. The weather was sunny, warm and beautiful (not what I would consider beach weather, though we did see plenty of die-hard sunbathers). I didn't notice places being closed for the off-season - in fact, our first hotel choice was available. Sorrento had a good crowd. We took the ferry to Capri for a day. It was great.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM

If you are not a beach person it can be ideal and you will see the AC getting back to normality
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Our trip is only a few weeks away now! We'll fly into Naples on 29 Oct, rent a car and drive to Positano, base here for 5 nights, and do day trips from there. We'll go to Pompeii on our way back to Naples, then return the car, and spend two nights in Naples. Thanks for the feedback we've received so far. I've also read some great information on other posts, as well as several travel books. Any other tips, must-see's, must do's, restaurants, etc. would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if you can take a ferry from Positano to Capri at this time of year?
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

We were planning to rent a car, but now I'm reconsidering a combination of drivers, taxi's, etc. after reading some other posts. Our main reasons for renting a car are: transfer from Naples airport to Positano, stopping at Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius on the return to Naples airport, ability to explore when and where we want(flexibility is really important to my husband). We nearly always have a car when we travel except when we're staying in a city. Concerns about renting a car include: cost (rental, insurance and parking), my husband not being able to drink wine when we're out and about, my husband not being able to enjoy the scenery, me not being able to enjoy the scenery because I'm a nervous wreck!

Here's a rough itinerary:

29 Oct Arrive Naples airport 1330 - staying in Positano for 5 nights
30 Oct Explore Positano and do some hiking
31 Oct Explore Ravello and Amalfi
1 Nov Capri (weather permitting)
2 Nov Salerno(briefly) and Paestum
3 Nov Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius, then on to Naples airport(to turn in car if we have one)
4 Nov Explore Naples
5 Nov Explore Naples (leave at 1500)

Thoughts on renting a car? Thoughts on the itinerary in general? Thanks very much!