Am I on the right track planning our trip to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Northern Italy for my husband's 50th. We'll be going either in Jan. or Feb. We'll have up to two weeks, including travel days. I'm thinking of flying into Florence, spend a couple of days, drive or train to Tuscany region for a few days,then to Venice. I'd also love to see the lake Como area.

We're used to a break-neck pace when we're with the kids, and will actually be taking the whole family back to Italy in June. I want this trip to be more leisurely which probably means dropping one of the destinations mentioned, just not sure which.

Would appreciate your opinions about travel in Italy that time of year. I want to avoid Carnival in Venice; other than that I'm an open book.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
TVY

The Lake Como area may be a bit cold in January. My husband and I have traveled frequently in February, and usually have very nice weather, crisp and sunny, not too much rain, but then again you never know. We usually fly into Milan, do Como and drive down to Tuscany and back to Milan to fly out. Once, about 10 years ago we did half of our trip driving and half by train, and found that we really preferred the freedom you get when you are driving yourself, plus much more convenient with luggage and such. One more note, I don't know if you are a shopper or not, but mid to late January has the twice yearly sales, so that may or may not be a consideration for you.

We're actualy planning to go again in May, so if you have any questions let me know. Good luck!
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Hello Jayne, well actually Florence is in Tuscany but I am thinking that perhaps you mean the countryside?? In that the weather patterns have not been consisted in Italy it is hard to know whether you will have a lot of rain or not. I would assume there will be some rain so personally I would want to be staying where indoor activities could be enjoyed versus say staying at place out in the country where there wouldn't be much to do if the weather is cold and/or rainy.

Lake Como area is beautiful but is there any chance that you could go there in June? The weather would be more conducive to enjoying your time there then in Jan. or Feb.

I have no idea where you have been before. There is Sierra, Lucca etc., just to mention two cities.

On the way to Venice there is Padova, Bologna, Ferrara etc. and of course Ravenna. Verona is close by.

With two weeks including travel time you will have 12 days for Italy. Personally with not wanting to be rushed, which I can certainly relate to, I would plan on staying in 3 different places at the most. The first day when you will be in Florence will no doubt find you with some jet lag. Perhaps, just a thought, stay longer than a few days in Florence and do day trips to Sienna (via the bus which is by the train station) and another day trip to Lucca (by train).

Then you could take the train headed to Venice and perhaps stay overnight in Bologna and then continue on to Venice.

I just noticed that you haven't said where you were thinking of departing from so just a thought. Perhaps you might consider flying into Venice and working "backwards" and flying home from Florence. Most flights out of Venice seem to be so early in the morning so that might be more relaxing for you. Best wishes.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM

That is really not the time to head for the northern lakes (which are in the first foothills of the alps) or the tuscan countryside - which will be mainly brown and crunchy. Although not full winter as you find in much of the US it will likely be chilly and rainy - and snow is possible - een as far south as rome.

I really would either plan the trip for May or June - or head to the very south of Italy for more comfortable touring weather.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks--all of your info is very helpful. I will plan to rule out Lake Como--I figured as much about the weather.

Thanks for the tip about flying out of Venice. We will go open jaw so will plan to reverse the order.

We are pretty much resticted to Jan or Feb for our travels and actually like traveling off season when possible. I'm going to be taking our three kids to Budapest, Vienna, and Switzerland in June and meeting my husband in Florence and traveling to Rome which is why I want to cover Northern Italy on this trip. We've never been to Italy so even if the weather is a little dreary, it would be much worse with three teens bored with the country side!

And yes, I love shopping so that will influence our travel dates!
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 01:17 AM

Hi Jayne - I spent a week on Lake Como in February a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

We were lucky with the weather and had blue skies pretty much every day. The mountain tops were snow covered and it was wonderful.

I certainly wouldn't exclude it if it's high on your list. You could well have better weather there than Venice ...

Steve
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:41 AM
ira

Hi J,

With 2 weeks in the Winter, I suggest: fly into Venice - 4 nights, train to Florence - 5 nights (daytrip to Siena and one to Bologna), train to Rome - 4 nights, fly home.

>will actually be taking the whole family back to Italy in June.

That would be a good time for the Lakes and Tuscany.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Hi Jayne,
I took my sister & brother to Venice last Feb and while it was cold and rainy, they still loved it. It's a place like no other and off season is nice. I was also there in April, much better weather, but more people.

I would also recommend Lucca, right near Pisa. You really get a feel for a walled Medieval town and it's a nice change from the big city. They have a nice walking/biking path around the top of the wall. We really enjoyed our quick side visit here and I wished we had stayed longer.

Good luck and have fun!