Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time in Italy, Dec/Jan, no car, 6 weeks. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (family of four with a 20 and 17 year old) are heading off to Italy in early December. We have six weeks in total. We arrive in Rome, where we have rented an aprtment for 2 weeks. After that, with no car, what? We're thinking Sorrento for a few days, Florence for a few days, Venice (is it a good place to have Christmas and is 2 weeks too long?), a few days skiing somewhere, and a few days somewhere else before heading back to Rome. It's a long way from Australia and we want to make the most of it. Can anyone suggest an itinerary? Thank you!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:10 AM
jay

Venice will be colder than Florence. Some people say that it can get windy. We will be in Florence for NYE. 2 weeks in Venice may be too long but there are also day trips you can take. We did 2 weeks in Rome over Christmas and had a great time but we did take a couple of day trips. Your trip sounds fun.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM

We just returned and can only speak for Rome and Florence. These two cities will be fine without a car.

There are small neighborhoods outside of Rome that are good for an afternoon stroll of window shopping, getting immersed in the culture. These are accesible by train.

We were in Florence for just a day, but I can see myself spending two weeks. From what I gathered, you can travel to many Tuscan towns via train.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:38 AM

I think I would do the two weeks in Florence or Sorrento. Venice is great, but the weather and the high tides could be a little hindering. A few days in Venice is a must, though.

You don't need a car in Italy. They have such a great rail system (www.trenitalia.it) that you can even go to small towns on the train or bus. You can take plenty of day trips from anywhere. You may even decide to rent a car for a day or two.

As for skiing....the Italian Alps has wonderful skiing! I don't know specifics, but I know my family in Italy goes there to ski. You can google it.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM

I have never rented a car in Italy, although one time I was with friends who did, and have never had any problem.

Your family has the luxury of time, and if you don't mind cold weather, I wouldn't skip Venice. The last time I was in Italy in winter, Florence was actually colder than Venice. So with weather it's always a bit of a guessing game. Bring warm clothes, though.

So, in short, I recommend the Big Three regardless of time of year. I would also include one or two hill towns. Your choice, but I found Assisi wonderful and very uncrowded in winter. It's easy to take the train from Rome. You could also see Siena (easy to get to by bus from Florence).

Hopefully, someone more organized than I am can help you with routes/itineraries/lenght of time in each place.

Enjoy your time in Italy!