tourist map of Rome

Search

tourist map of Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tourist map of Rome

I'm planning our trip to May 2006. We plan to spend a week and we are renting an apartment.

I've picked my apartment, and I plan to eenjoy several guided walks but I also want to wander through Rome on our own.

Can anyone recommend a detailed tourist map of Rome, that includes the locatons of fountains as well.
I have the Eyewitness Guide to Rome that has a whole section on Rome's fountains but I want a decent overview map of all of Rome's sections.

Hope someone recommend the name of a decent, maybe a website address to order the map.

Elizabeth
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM

In the last couple of years, I've taken to Lonely Planet books and maps. They are really good -- and are updated regularly. (check the copyright date on the books to make sure you are buying a recent edition.)

The maps are not unwieldy, neither are they as manageable as laminated fold-out ones, but they are very detailed showing the smallest streets. Not huge, but they fold-out a few times to show the metro area on one side, with a larger scale of the center on the reverse. Made of a waterproof, unrippable paper -- I find it handy to have a small magnifying device to read some of the print.

Here's what to look for (you can find them on amazon, barnes & noble or borders):

http://www.mapsworldwide.com/maps_18708.htm

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:40 PM

How close are you to an Italian consulate? I've used the local L.A. consulates for the best in maps...also go to Barnes and Noble for excellent and varied Roman maps..
Stu
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM

I used the MapEasy map of Rome...its rather "cartoonish", but had recommendations on restaurants and places to shop. Sort of like a triptic.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM

Hi luvtofly,

I just spent 5 days in Rome and used the Streetwise Rome map. It was great, detailed, easy to use with all the piazzas and site marked - and laminated. Couldn't ask for more.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:13 PM

We liked the Streetwise Rome map too. It is laminated with an index of streets, piazzas, etc. It's also a good idea to have 2 different maps. Probably your hotel might give you one map.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Another vote for the Streetwise map. I've used several Rome maps,and this one is the most detailed and durable.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Hi

I too love the Eyewitness Guides. But not really practical. For a recent trip to Madrid I think I may have worked out a near perfect approach. Refer to this link - http://www.frommers.com/images/desti...ttractions.jpg.
Print the map to a size you can read - A4 worked fine for me. Now on that map, number the sites you want to see - use red ink. Then on the back of that map list the numbers and make notes against them. These maybe your own notes or tips picked up from this forum for example. I did a seperate map for sightseeing, shopping and dining. You could incorporate all three on one map by using diferent ink colours. So for example using this map you visit the Trevi Fountain, buy some shoes nearby in a store recommended by a friend and then lunch at a restaurant around the corner suggested by a Fodorite. Easy!!

I found the Frommers resource is fantastic - it's extremely useful for time efficiency, budgeting and cutting down travel fatigue.

Trust me this system worked!
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:18 PM

There are two very detailed maps of Rome in spiral book form:

One is by Michelin, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

Powell's bookstore sometimes carry it.

The other one is "Roma Atlante Stradale di Citta" by Instituto Geografico Deagostini. I picked up my copy in Rome.

Not as detailed, but still great for walking is Berlitz map, very compact and folds very quickly:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

Mapeasy maps are good for finding approximate locations of stores and restaurants and landmarks. The locations are sometimes many streets off, watch out.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

I am not a fan of laminated maps. I like to mark destinations, or have someone place marks on the map as needed.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I haven't usd one for Rome, but I'm a great fan of the Knopf city guide maps. The first page is a map that breaks the city down into color coded areas and then the rest are in small sections that fold out, are heavy duty and also list attractions in the segmented area as well as restaurants. They are detailed enough, but you don't need to open the whole thing out and deal with an unwieldy map flapping around in the breeze.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I best walk-around map of Rome I've seen is the free map you get at the little tourist kiosques around the city.

I know there's (was) one neat via Corso and via Condotti as well as one in Testaverde.

Excellent map and you can throw it away when it gets too fray and start the next one.

Good size, folds, of course, good graphisc, etc
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:55 AM

I like Tripbuilder and have used it in other cities, but don't know if it is detailed enough for you. If you like, I'll try to remember to post back how well it worked as am taking it along (with guidebooks) on my trip in 2 weeks.

http://www.tripbuilder.com/

It appears that Tripbuilder now has minimaps, too.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Go to your local book store and buy a laminated map. It is the easiest to use and not cumbersome as it folds easily to expose only the area you need. I buy one for every european city. I like the Insight brand very well. Also B & B. That stands for Berndtson & Berndtson. www.mapmyway.com if you want to buy one online. They are all very similar and I highly recommend.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Myer already made my suggestion! This was for Paris not Rome but by far the most "user-friendly" map we had was the free one from the hotel lobby. We used that exclusively rather than the couple purchased and guidebook ones we brought from home.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Second on the MapEasy..!! Great Map, easy to read.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM

One thing I found was that what I consider a path between buildings was considered a road on the map.

I found this out when I knew I needed to turn at the third street. Since I had passed several small openings between buildings (streets), I was way pass my turn when I discovered it.

Whatever map you get, study it before you go. Mark locations of places to see and your routes. Also, consider making copies of just that days route on the map.