Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I On The Right Track? Paris to Venice Overnight Train Questions

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Mrs. Maitai (aka Tracy) and I are now thinking about taking the overnight train from Paris to Venice in December (the cat puppets are calling us), but I am a little confused (yet relatively sober) regarding the difference in seating/sleeping options.

How far in advance can you book? As an experiment, I just tried 59 days from now and the SNCF site gave me a Special price of 140 euros for a Non-Smoking, Sleeper, Seats 26 and 25. Is that a sleeping compartment for two or just two seats? I thought the regular price for a sleeper was 320 euros for two, so if you book really early can you get a deal?

Also, Tracy might have a friend joining us for this leg of the trip. Are there sleepers for three or just couchettes, what is the difference and are there couchettes for three?

I looked at past posts and websites (seat61.com, etc), but obviously my train side of my brain is giving me problems this morning (bet it was those damn martinis last night). If someone could lay out options for this journey, it would be greatly appreciated. Merci and Grazie!

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geneva - Venice night trains can be reserved from 3 months in advance. Very possibly this is universal in this part of Europe whether Swiss - Italy or France - Italy, I guess.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I tried to enter sncf site but it does not work with my pc now. I can tell from the Swiss site : the night train Paris Bercy to Venice has a dining car. That's nice. GVA-VCE does not. Often too expensive for the quality but nice to have an option to a picnic. I do like being served on the train.

The followings are about the GVA-VCE night train but I assume your train would be quite similar, otherwise, just to give an idea.

- It has sleeper coaches and couchette coaches.
- Sleeper coaches has compartments with one or two beds. This is more like 1st cls although you can take this with 2nd cls ticket. Supplement is a lot.
- Couchette coaches have compartments with 4 "beds" or 6 "beds". They are also called T4 or T6, T standing for tourist class. This is obviously 2nd cls accomodation.
- This may not always be the case but there are sometimes compartments with 3 beds. I'm not sure if this is regarded as sleeper or couchette.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:59 AM

And again from Swiss site: Paris-Venice night train (EN221) has only sleeping coaches and no usal seats, just like GVA-VCE.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. You receive the Phi Beta Kappa train reward.

I like the dining car option, too. Maybe Tracy and I will play Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in North By Northwest.

Any other train gurus who can come to my aid are greatly appreciated. Has anybody done this particular trip?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Excelsior coaches, supposedly plush but plagued with problems like backed up toilets, have been removed from these Artesia night trains and now serve only Italian domestic routes.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

"like backed up toilets"

Now there's something that will keep me in the BarCar.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
ira

Hi Tom,

At the SNCF site I found a fare of 120E pp in a 6 person 2cl couchette; 140E pp in a 3 person T3 cabin; 160E pp in a 2 person 1cl compartment for 23/06/2006 on the Artesia train leaving Paris Bercy at 20:28.

I did not see 70E pp.

Is there a particular reason for not flying www.myair.com from Paris Orly to Venice Marco Polo for 70E pp?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM

We reserved a T3 from Venice to Paris. Well, actually from Bologna to Paris because Venice was sold out. I think there are limited T3's. Not positive, but we got the last one available from Bologna (booking about 6 weeks ahead for late May). This works out fine because we will get to spend the day in Bologna. I think it was around $175 each, so the price you're getting seems good.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM

<At the SNCF site I found a fare of 120E pp in a 6 person 2cl couchette> this would be 240 euros for 2 in a 6 person compartment (T6)
RailEurope has on their site prices for the same of $268 - which is lower than 240 euros ($335) - In case you can't get a cheaper fare, check with BETS (800-441-2387) to book these in the US - though they include RE's $15 reservation fee (for a total of $283)- but seems you could find some special on the Italian for French site if it's available. If 140 euro is for two that's a bargain, if not RailEurope is actually cheaper??? Hard to believe.

$304
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:50 PM

The night train from Paris to Venezia has T3 sleepers, 4- and 6-berth couchettes, and a restaurant car, but no ordinary seats. The T3 sleepers have three bunks, but they can be reconfigured to become a 2-berth or single-berth compartment, depending on the fare paid. The compartments have a wash basin. Couchette compartments are simpler, have no wash basin and you sleep in your day clothes. In a six-berth compartment, you may be sharing with strangers of either sex. The restaurant car is open for dinner and breakfast, and drinks and snacks are available at a bar.
The night train will often be quicker than flying which will take a morning or afternoon. The night train takes you from central Paris to Santa Lucia station which is right on the Grand Canal. If comparing fares with flights, also consider that flying would mean spending an extra night in a hotel in Paris or Venezia, neither of which is a cheap city.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Ira - Taking the train because we don't lose any daylight time, and it seems like a fun thing to do....once.

HipVirgoChick - If I gather correctly, the T3 is a couchette for three people and not another Arnold Schwarzenegger film. We might opt for that if Tracy's friend goes.

Thanks.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalQ and Geoff.

Geoff. So we would be the only three people in the couchette and I assume it locks when we go have cocktails...and we will have cocktails. I appreciate your insight, and I think right now I'll lean toward the couchette. After a few glasses of wine, sleeping is never much of a problem for me.

I also agree that taking the train beats the plane for the very reasons you stated.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM

The T3 is a sleeper rather than a couchette. The difference is the wash basin, space for hanging clothes, more comfortable bunks with full bedding, a carpet, etc.
The compartments can be locked from the inside. If you want to lock it from the outside while you go to the restaurant, you ask the attendant to do it. Each carriage has an attendant who will look after your ticket and passport during the night (the passport can be checked at the Swiss borders). He serves a glass of sparkling wine after the train leaves, and brings coffee when he wakes you in the morning. Stewards from the restaurant car take reservations for dinner which usually has two sittings; if the first sitting is full, you have to wait for the second sitting. There are no fixed times for eating breakfast.
I've used the train several times over the years, and it is one of the more civilised overnight journeys in Europe. The morning arrival in Santa Lucia station can't be beaten.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We did opposite direction Venice to Paris in a 2-person private cabin. We had a wonderful time! We brought our own food along, purchased both in Venice before we left and at the train station in Milan when we transfered onto the night train. Beer and wine, a nice meal, and some snacks.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Geoff and Suze! Sounds like a neat experience.

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Too bad we can't meet for cocktails

Well, I'll be sure to report back on the experience. I'm really looking forward to the fun!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Have done the Paris to Venice night train with a companion in a sleeper for two and Venice to Paris in a couchette shared with others I did not know. Sleeper is definitely better in terms of comfort and privacy, but it is still a train so don't expect a lot of room. Have not seen the sleeper for 3, so can't comment on that arrangement.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM

My cousins and I had the 3-up sleeper from Copenhagen to Frankfurt 20 years ago and were very comfy. Quite a treat, especially breakfast in bed before arrival. Would love to try Venice to Paris sleeper next year but husband is a foot taller than me. Do you think a 6'1" broad shouldered man has a chance of a decent night's sleep?

Merci,

Scootoir
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:22 AM

I was in a similar EuroNight hotel train from Milan to Vienna in January. My T3 cabin included a wash basin and a cleverly designed night pan so there was no need to leave the cabin for a pee in the night. This was the best overnighter I had up to that point after using night trains in France, Spain, and Portugal. I traveled with a EurailPass and paid 35 euros extra for the bed, a steal. Bring your own wine, cheese, pate, bread, and oranges on board to save money. I love the night train!

I traveled in January, reserved the bunk a few hours before departure, and had the cabin to myself. If you are bumpimg into the Christmas season you might want to reserve earlier. Italian trains get VERY busy during Christmas week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -