Am I Nuts?

Dec 28th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Am I Nuts?

Yes, I probably am! Here's what I would like to do if it isn't too crazy for 2 50 somethings, who like to be independent travellers.
We are planning a trip for late spring. The definite plan is to spend 5 days in Slovenia and Istria. We have 5 more days and I would like to spend 3 days in Budapest and 2 days in Vienna. I just don't know if that makes any sense. It looks okay on the map, but I'm really no good at geography. Whats the best way to get from there to Lake Bled? Train, car, bus? Is it a scenic route? Looks like it has to be. Should we go from Vienna or Budapest? Am I nuts, or is this something anyone would think is a rational idea? Thanks in advance. I'm trying to get my DH to dump his idea of doing a cruise of the Greek Isles after Slo & Cro. I don't think I would need to rent a car until we get to Lake Bled, but again, this idea just popped into my head, and I don't know.

Dec 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM

From Vienna to Bled is about 6 hours by train, changing in Villach. If you went from Budapest to Bled, you would have to go via Vienna.
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick reply. So I guess we would start in Budapest. Have you taken the train from Vienna to Lake Bled? Is the train the best way to go? I Imagine its a nice ride, right?
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:21 AM

I'm trying to get my DH to dump his idea of doing a cruise of the Greek Isles after Slo & Cro.

Why????
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

The Greek Isles cruise starts in Venice, where we have been a few times. The only stop that interests me is the 1st stop at Split, Croatia. From there we stop at Santorini, (been there), and all we really did was shop. Plus we stood in line almost 2 hours trying to get back to the ship. I'm not a big beach person, so when we return, we'd probably just shop again. The other 2 stops are Corfu and Kathakalon. I hear Corfu is very nice and the other island, we can barely find any info on it. I'm not that into cruises. My husband likes them much more then I do. We also stop in Naples which is fine because I love seeing more of the Amalfi coast, but still its only a few hours. We have done 2 European cruises. Both were too long for my tastes. This 1 is only 7 days, so I'll go along with it, but my prefence is to see Central Europe if I can convince him. I want to save the cruising for when I can't get around easily on my own.
Dec 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM

I totally hear you zwho about the cruises. My favorite thing in Santorini is sitting on my terrace sipping wine as the sun dips behind the caldera then eating dinner at some wonderful little taverna, not standing in line to get back on the ship and eat the same steam table food that we were offered the last five nights and then ooh and ahh as they dim the lights to bring out the flaming desserts.
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I'm still not sure if trying to do about a week in Budapest and and Vienna and the other "about" a week in Slovenia and Istria is a smart idea. I know that with the budget airlines in Europe now I could put together Amsterdam and Sicily if I felt like it, but I want this trip to have a certain flow to it and on the map it looks okay. I mean, they're all in about the same area. Maybe I should have titled the post more specifically. Oh well, hopefully someone will see this and help. Thanks.