European cruise on the Danube

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a river boat cruise around September 2010. We need help to research this from folks who have lots more experience than I in the travel area. I contacted a travel agent in town about Chopin's 200th birthday and would like to hear a piano concert and some baroque organ music in a cathedral. The agent never replied or could not find the information. Should we purchase a tour like GCT or go with a ship company like Uniworld? Not sure where to research the rating or reviews from other who have taken a cruise. Thank you for any help.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 09:58 PM

We cruised from Budapest to Amsterdam last year with Avalon and one of the optional tours was a concert in Vienna. It could be difficult to find a concert of your choice within the limited time your boat is in a particular town.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM

We cruised the Danube with Tauck last October and it was perfect. Beautiful scenery, great ship experience and wonderful staff. I highly recommend Tauck. I think that they have a special music-themed cruise this year that should be just what you are looking for. Have fun.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM

I cruised the Danube in Dec.09 with Grand Circle (my 2nd with them) from Vienna to Antwerp. I arranged for opera tickets in Vienna online. GCT is much less expensive than Tauck and I think they do a fine job. I have also taken two Rhine Xmas cruises with Vantage which were quite nice also.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:09 AM

You can look at reviews for GCT's trips on their website - I'm pretty sure they are unedited, not just a sales gimmick. We did a Danube cruise Budapest to Prague, there was a concert opportunity in Vienna thru the ship and also in Budapest on our own. We were very pleased with GCT and loved Budapest - I'd suggest going early or taking the trip extension.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:18 PM

We did a GCT at Christmas on the Rhine and it was lovely. I have posted on their reviews for OAT and it was printed exactly as I wrote it....and is was an unfavorable one so it's not a gimmick. GCT is the older group.If you are in your 30,40 just know it will be a 50,60 and 70's group. The food was excellent, rooms spotless, and the crew was helpfull and friendly. I would definately recommend GCT for the River Cruise.