Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Am I being unreasonable? Looking for apartment for one month in Perugia.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for an apartment in Perugia for all of November 2006. My travel agent has suggested an apartment which is only $AUD 1,660.00 for the month but it has very minimal facilities. It consists of two bedrooms with three beds (there are three of us), an equiped kitchen with a table and 4 chairs, a bathroom and nothing else. The charge does not include electricity, other utilites, final cleaning or rubbish removal.

I have looked at all of the places suggested in this forum. I searched under apartment, Perugia.

I don't know the street but it is in the old part of town which does not allow any traffic. He does not have any photos of it.

I was hoping for a washing machine, TV and telephone so I can use my lap top.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I would find a different travel agent.

You should be able to view photos of any proposed rental, even if they turn out to be misleading photos. Utilities can cost a lot in Italy, and all those other items not included in the cost might b a costly surprise at the end of your stay. Have you searched any online accomodation sources? Perugia is a university town, so I would expect there to be many options.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Hello Ellenem,

Every single one I can find through Googling and searching all the travel forums plus slowtravel. Maybe I should call the tourist bureau? Agent said the extras should be between 200 and 300 dollars.

Ta for response.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:49 AM

Hi Monda - This might be a good place to start:

http://www.english.umbria2000.it/Def...ercaOspitalita

Otherwise I suggest you contact the Perugia Tourist office. Their e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Hello Steve,

Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for your suggestions. I searched them and I have been offered a number of apartments, one around the same price, one cheaper and one way more expensive. All of them have washing machines (or access to in the apartment building) tv, telephone and or internet access as well as being two bedrooms with 3 beds.

I sent my agent an email this morning asking him to cancel the one he had booked with a copy of two cancelation conditions from other agent's contracts as he implied he would have to pay a hefty cancellation fee if he cancelled the aparment at this stage. I cant see this being the case as we do not move in until the 1st of November.

Once again, thanks.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Neopolitan

Once you have signed, you are often obligated to pay a hefty cancellation charge. I've seen some apartments that actually require full payment at time of booking (even a year ahead) then keep up to half if you cancel -- even if you cancel 10 months ahead!
Rare is the apartment that will let you cancel no matter how far in advance without some sort of penalty.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I just glanced at www.vrbo.com for Perugia and there were many places...
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

I have not signed anything - the agent just sent emails back and forth. I think he misunderstood me and went ahead and booked it when I thought we had agreed that he would wait for a specified time and I would confirm whether or not I wanted the apartment. I have offered to pay any cancellation fee if it is reasonable. If it is not reasonable, then I will have to consider just staying there.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Neopolitan

So let me see if I understand this. You told the agent not to book you but he did anyway and now if there is a cancellation fee you need to pay it or stay there rather than lose the money?

I think you need a new agent pronto! Or simply do this on your own so there are no more miscommunications.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I think I agree - I have booked all the other apartments in Rome and Florence on my own. He is from Perugia and promised he would find me something really nice and reasonably priced for the month so I let him. He took ages to do anything about it and we must have just got crossed wires somehow. I dont want him to lose any money so if he has to pay a hefty cancellation fee, I guess I will stay there. I really wanted more facilities than the apartment he found has though.

I will give him a call tomorrow and see what is happening re having to pay a cancellation fee.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Neopolitan

OK, I think it's time to get tough if you are telling us the entire thing.

You are being taken advantage of.

You need to say, "Sorry this is costing you money, but I made it clear that I did not want to book anything until I was sure. This apartment is not what I am looking for. Thank you for your time, but this is not working."

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I want to to do that and yes I am telling it all but I do feel a bit funny about it. My husband says I am such a good Catholic I just like to feel guilty.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM

"I dont want him to lose any money so if he has to pay a hefty cancellation fee, I guess I will stay there."

Are you sure you want to bail him out for something you never asked him to do?

I would think that the owner of the apartment would not charge a fee to the agent if he really wants the agent to recommend the apartment in the future.

You're taking a big risk by booking something sight unseen. If this apartment turns out to be a disaster do you think the agent is really going to give a hoot about you? Don't count on it.

Personally, I would not risk taking this place, especially being responsible for unknown utility costs, unknown cleaning costs. It all reeks to me. I wouldn't even open any more of his emails.

Someone said VRBO has units available. If you're unfamiliar with VRBO, people (including me) have had great luck renting apartments through them.

Good luck. I'm curious to know the outcome.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

My agent cancelled the apartment with no charges and I am now looking for a place. Thanks to all.
Cheers