alter peter and frauenkirche in Munich

Jan 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

alter peter and frauenkirche in Munich

We have a huge list of things we want to do while in Munich--day trips, museums, etc. And now we have just been told that we shouldn't miss the Alter Peter and the Frauenkirche.

I can't find much about them in the guidebooks (or on this forum!).

Can anyone tell me a bit about them? Are they both close to the Marienplatz? How long would it take to visit each of these?

We don't like to pack too much into each day, and we see our time getting more and more "booked".
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:12 PM

The Frauenkirche is quite near the Marienplatz, and a visit of 1/2 to 1 our would be enough, but try to visit the crypt. The church is beautiful and should not be missed. It's off to the left as you face the town hall on the Marienplatz--you can see the dome-topped steeples.

Here's one of several sites with more information:

http://www.aviewoncities.com/munich/frauenkirche.htm

And here's Alte Peter:

http://www.aviewoncities.com/munich/peterskirche.htm

Enjoy your visit to Munich, a wonderful city.
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Both are so close to the Marienplatz that you practically trip over them

The frauenkirche has those famous twin onion dome towers that you see in just about every skyline view of Munich and the views from the top are terrific. There is an elevator and for a few euro you can go up to the top of one. The church has an interesting legend about the architect making a deal with the devil to get money to build the church.

Around the back of the frauenkirche is a nice little cafe called Andecher am Dom which has good food and a nice outdoor seating area - very comfortable. It also served beer from the Andech's brewery, which was our second favorite beer from our 2 week trip.

Old Peter's church has another great tower to climb - although this one you actually have to climb the entire way, so wear good shoes. Worth the climb and really interesting to go up the inside of this old tower.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

underhill and j correa,
Thanks so much for your input. I am definitely adding both to the itinerary. Since they are not heavily hyped in the guidebooks, maybe they won't be so overrun with people (we are going in August--can't help it). And they both sound like they are definitely worth out time. Your comments were very much appreciated!
Jan 24th, 2007, 10:07 PM

hi there,
funny, the Frauenkirche is "not heavily hyped in the guidebooks" - it is THE church in Munich, and one of the famlous landmarks in town. If the "Asamkirche" is also not in Your book, cancle "Alte Peter" and take a look there. It is just 5 minutes to walk from Marienplatz and takes just 15 min to look at as it is very small - but very worth.
have fun
Gar
Jan 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM

Hi caligirl, Not to go against the flow or anything, but we were actually quite disappointed with the Frauenkirche. Yes, it is the most distinguishing structure on the Munich skyline, but inside it is pretty plain compared to many other churches in Munich. That may explain why the guidebooks don't say a lot about it. Of course it could be that I was grumpy (we were there during the heat wave last July), it was thronged with people (be warned - it probably will be in August too) and we were turned off by the fact that people were being incredibly noisy and disrespectful - we walked in and it sounded like an auditorium during intermission. I really got the feeling that everyone was there because it is THE cathedral in Munich. The other churches we visited were much quieter and much more beautiful.

So visit the Frauenkirche, yes, but don't miss out on Munich's other treasures...St. Michaelkirche (understated exterior but gorgeous inside), the Theatinerkirche (next to the Feldherrnhalle, with the most amazing all-white interior), St. Peterskirche, and the Asamkirche mentioned above, to list just a few.

I also recommend going up the Rathaus tower, from which you can look down at Marienplatz and see most of the churches mentioned above.

Have a great time in Munich!
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:25 AM
JN

The Asamkirche is on Sendlingerstrasse, about five blocks down from Marienplatz. Definitely worth a visit. You'll be amazed that every inside square inch is adorned with gold, marble or gems. We could hardly believe it.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM

The thing about the Franenkirche, which is Munich's cathedral and seat of the Cardinal Archbishop of Munich-Freising, is that it was heavily bombed in the air raids in the last war and had to be virtually rebuilt, like so many historic churches in Germany. Baroque decorations that used to adorn those churches were not re-created but instead the restorers left the interior quite plain, often with some startling modern art.
Jan 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Hi Alec, I appreciate your response as I live in a city (Stuttgart) that was also virtually destroyed in WWII and the largest church here was rebuilt with a very simple but nontheless visually stunning, modern interior. So my comments about the Frauenkirche are made primarily in comparison to the other churches in Munich of interest to the visitor with a limited amount of time, and were not meant to denigrate the Frauenkirche. Actually, my biggest complaint was the behavior of the people in the cathedral, rather than its lack of decoration.
Jan 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Caligirl, When you visit the Alte Peter church be sure to see 1) the pictures of what it looked like after the bombing in WWI. Just a couple of walls were left standing. The Pictures are on a column at the back of the church near the entrance closest to Marienplatz. 2) Check out the relic of saints bones that has jewels for eyes...pretty creepy.
Jan 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Caligirl, When you visit the Alte Peter church be sure to see 1) the pictures of what it looked like after the bombing in WWII. Just a couple of walls were left standing. The Pictures are on a column at the back of the church near the entrance closest to Marienplatz. 2) Check out the relic of saints bones that has jewels for eyes...pretty creepy.
Jan 25th, 2007, 11:07 AM

We were in Munich during that heat wave in July too - wasn't it fun? LOL.

In august, it might be worth going to the top of the towers just for the breezes - LOL.

One of our favorite afternoons in Munich while it was so hot was spent along the river in the English garden. We bought beach towels and some snacks, found a shady spot, and hung out. Lots of people swimming and having a good time. Keep this option in mind if the weather is hot
Jan 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM

We are going to Munich, Prague, Vienna the beginning of April. My husband and I are bringing our daughter 17 and my other daughter and her husband are bringing their son 6. You seemed to have a good handle on what to see and do in Munich. Would you be willing to share your itinerary? We also are looking for suggestions on nice places to stay.
Jan 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

lindaskeen,
We've never been to Munich, but I'll be happy to tell you what we have planned. We are going with our older children (21 and 23). The itinerary is sort of rough--but here are some things we're hoping to see:

Alter Peter (especially for the view!), Frauenckirche, the Asamkirche (suggested in this thread by JN). We're hoping to spend a lot of time at the Deutsches Museum (museum of technology)--it sounds amazing. And also to visit the 3 art museums (pinkotheken)--old, new and contemporary art. Then, of course we're hoping to be at a cafe in the Marienplatz to see the Glockenspeil at one time or another.

Side trips will include visiting Ludwig's Neues Schloss on Herrenchiemesee (this is supposed to be one of the best of his castles--it is on an island in the middle of a lake). and hiking across the Alpspitze at Garmisch-Partenkirchen (this is a 1 1/2 hour drive each way--so many people would probably rather just stay in the area).

Neuschwanstein(the castle that inspired the famous Disneyland castle) is also a day trip (we will visit it on our way out of Salzburg though). It is supposed to be pretty touristy (and maybe not even the best castle to visit)--but we can't resist. We plan to hike up behind it, to see what is supposed to be a pretty spectacular view. You can buy tickets online ahead of time to avoid waiting in line--although this may not be an issue in April.

We've been told to be sure to eat at the Spaten Brewery and to visit the Hofbrauhaus.

We will also be spending a couple days at Tegernsee (lake just south of Munich) which is supposed to be beautiful. Hiking, swimming, etc.

Things we will probably have to cut out (but wish we could do) are numerous. But, they include visiting the Nymphenburg Schloss (in Munich)--I wanted to see the "Gallery of Beauties" among other things. Also visiting Oberammergau (near Garmisch) to shop for woodcarvings. The Richard Strauss villa is also in/near Garmisch.

There are so many other things to do. These are just the things I picked that would appeal to our family. Maybe someone else (who has actually visited these places!) can jump in and give some more concrete advice.
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Here is how we spent our time in Munich - it was hot as mentioned above, so we spent more time hanging out and less time visiting museums than planned - LOL.

Day 1: Arrived mid day, found the hotel and got settled. We stayed at the Hotel Laimerhof near the Nymphenberg Palace, which was great. Nice neighborhood, good hotel, nice people, the rate was only about 90 euros per night, and easy access to public transportation. We were tired from the flight, so we took it easy the rest of the day - walked the grounds of Nymphenberg palace and wandered around the neighborhood, then went to the a beer garden called the Hirschgarten, which was only about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It was Sunday afternoon and there were lots of people there - plenty of families with their picnics, groups of friends, etc. Really nice atmosphere.

Day 2: We stayed up the night before until a reasonable time before going to bed, got a good sleep and were ready to go. We went down to the center of town to the Marienplatz and wandered around a bit, then took the 11:30 Mikes Bikes tour, which was excellent - saw a bunch of things around the center of Munich, including the English garden, with lunch at the Chinese tower beer garden, which is the most famous in Munich. After the tour we got some ice cream and wandered around some more, had dinner at the Hofbrauhaus - food was decent, but we went more just to experience this crazy place. Lots of fun.

Day 3: We went back to the Marienplatz to visit Alte Peter church and climb the tower. Then explored the Viktulien (sp?) market, which is a big outdoor market right there. We spent the afternoon at the Deutches Museum. We had dinner at a place called the Andecher am Dom near the Frauenkirche, which was great, and then closed out the evening back at the Hirschgarten. The Hirschgarten was probably our favorite place in Munich. Just a great atmosphere.

Day 4: Not too much sightseeing this day - went to visit the local office of my husband's company and see some friends there. We also went to the top of the tower at the Frauenkirche this day. It was pretty hot in the afternoon, so we opted to nap at the hotel instead of sightsee. After sunset, we went back out, had dinner at the Hackerhaus on Sendlinger strasse, which was great. After dinner we walked around central Munich, mostly just people watching - lots of people came out after sunset when things cooled off.

Day 5: This day we went outside Munich to a small town called Freising to tour a brewery there. Nice town, fun to wander around, but it was really hot again, so we ditched our original plans and headed back to the English garden in central Munich since there is a river there that people like to swim in - we stopped at a department store and bought some beach towels so we could sit out and swim too. That was a fun afternoon, just hanging out and cooling off.

The next day we left Munich and headed to Nuremberg. Later in our trip, we spent a few days in the Alps, at which time we toured the Ludwig castles.

We didn't see everything we planned, like the art museums and the Residence due to the heat, but that's ok. We had a great time hanging around doing a lot of people watching.
Jan 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM

linda, We like to stay near the main trainstation so you have lots of choices of hotels. One to consider for the family is the Hotel Uhland. About a 10 minute walk for the tain staiton and from the Altstadt. It is very near the Oktoberfest grounds.

If the weather is nice you will want to go to the Englisher Garten (Munich's Central Park) and of course Marienplatz and the area around it. Nymphenburg Palace is nice to visit. especially the coach house with all the Cinderella coaches. I enjoyed the Deutches Museum (science and technology museum) on an island in the middle of the Isar river.
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM

I cannot help with the city (never been there), but just found a link to munich in this forum that I liked. could help

www.travellingbazaar.com/munich%201.html