Alps and Autobahns

Jul 30th, 2002, 12:23 PM
anon

Alps and Autobahns

Opel Astra or Opel Vectra...

Which car would you pick for a one week rental in Germany - one person, but going all over, autobahns, Alps, you name it. I want a car that will get out of its own way.

both are 4 door manuals...

Jul 30th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Barb

The Astra is smaller the Vectra more engine power...if you are in Germany go for the bigger engine, everyone else is in a BMW, Mercedes or VW and they will have a distinct advantage over you... I was there for a while several years back and motor toured around Germany - I rented a BMW for $250 US for the week so I could have a little fun driving...ended up buying one when I got home....

Jul 30th, 2002, 12:35 PM
anon

thanks!

these run 280-320 a week. I will go with the bigger one, thank you. would be nice to get a Beemer. kemwel doesn't appear to rent them?

Jul 30th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Bob Brown

I have driven both Vectras and Astras in Europe. I would select the Vectra, but it is not as responsive as you might think. Get a manual transmission; it does not soak up as much horsepower.
The Astra I had last September even with manual transmission seemed to have trouble getting up and going.

Jul 30th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Mike

We rented a BMW 3 series diesel station wagon at a very reasonable price from Sixt Rent A Car. Check it out. They also have Mercedes & other gas BMW's.

Jul 30th, 2002, 02:06 PM
bmw

Careful, once you drive a BMW, you will not like anything else, and risk hating your own car once you return home.
When ours was resently totalled (520i) and we only wanted another one used but could not find one on the market at the time, we chose a Volvo sedan.
Sorry fans of Volvo, we know it is a very safe and good car, but we hate it.

Jul 30th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Alec

I own a Vectra and have owned and driven Astra. They are similar cars, and engines in the given class (1.8l, 2l, diesel etc) are usually identical. As Astra has lighter body, it tends to have slightly better performance and fuel economy (avoid underpowered 1.4L Astra). Turbo diesels are very popular as rental cars and both models usually have the same 2 litre engine (Vectra also has a more powerful 2.2L). Good torque and 30% better fuel economy and diesel costs 30% less than petrol (gas).
Of course neither car has the cachet or out-and-out performance of a Beemer, but I find them fast enough on autobahn, cruising at comfortable 80-90 mph and cost a lot less to rent.

Jul 30th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Mike

Go for the Beemer. You won't regret it.

Jul 30th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Adam

Get a BMW but don't rent it for a week-buy it on European delivery. There are huge savings (enough to pay for your trip) and you get to drive your own car around Europe. I just did it and I can't wait to do it again.

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Bill

We rented a Toyota Avenis from Avis at Munich Airport. A very nice mid-size a bit smaller than a Camry, but decidely larger than a Corolla. Plenty powerful for going up mountain passes (Grosglockner in Austria). Good looking too.

Jul 31st, 2002, 07:03 AM
Mike

I just returned from Germany last month and purchased a 525i on the European Delivery Program. Saved Big Bucks!! My only regret was as I was leaving the factory and heading towards the Autobahn, the BMW Rep told me to vary my speeds for the first 1500 miles, and not to go over 4000 RPM for the first 1500 miles. That meant that I could only go 100 mph, and everyone was passing me.

Jul 31st, 2002, 07:13 AM
Karen

In July I had reserved an Astra category car, and they gave me a Mercedes A Class. Sort of a mini-van without a front or a back, but not a Smart. Diesel and Standard, but on hills and on the autobahn it was not very peppy - we could not oevertake any cars on the Autobahn. IF there was an overdrive, we did not find it. Otherwise, not a bad car.

Jul 31st, 2002, 07:22 AM
Ann

Right now, you can rent a BMW 3-series for a week from Sixt for 272 Euro, or a Mercedes C-class for $222 a week. We just took them up on that offer about three weeks ago and had the time of our lives playing with the GPS directions, which even gave us hotel names, phone numbers, faxes and room prices for any city in any country we picked. What a hoot! All the German cars are quite well-equipped for the autobahn and handle SO much better than US autos, but if you can afford it, go for the fun. Check out the Sixt website (www.sixt-europe.com/main.php3) for all their specials by car class (even Audi TTs). It's a great company I've used many times and am happy to recommend.

Jul 31st, 2002, 07:26 AM
mj

anon,
Here's a lone voice for either a VW Golf or Audi A3 (Golf in Audi trim). If they're not available, get the Vectra - more get up and go than the Astra but still not very quick. And no matter what you get, make sure it has a manual trans..

Jul 31st, 2002, 09:13 AM
flygirl

sounds like the Beemer is the better deal. looks like I'll be using that instead, thanks...

Sep 6th, 2002, 07:36 AM
ttt

ttt

Sep 10th, 2002, 01:13 PM
John

Anon:

My email address says it all...however! What time of year are you going??? Winters and BMW's do not mix too well! If you want a winter machine, take the front wheel drive Vectra for the Alps!
JOHN

Sep 11th, 2002, 12:23 PM
flygirl

John, I leave Friday, thanks. should be just fine.

Ann, the car ended up being more like 520 for the week. Guess I should have reserved a lot earlier, eh?

Sep 26th, 2002, 07:05 AM
flygirl

I ended up with the Mercedes C200 diesel. It was a great car to drive - it didn't have oodles of pickup (although it did get out of its own way nicely) but it hummed along happily at 170 quite nicely. I maxed it out at 200 with nary a shudder.

it also had a navigation system which was really nifty. It got me to my friend's house in Munich, it got me to the airport - without even opening the atlas.

sixt is the way to go!! 520 for the week, all inclusive.