Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Almost got scammed at Metro - do you know this one?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During my last trip to Paris I got off the Thalys at Garre du Noord. I headed down to the Metro area and was looking to buy Metro tickets to an address I had for my meeting.
I was standing and looking at the big map and a guy approached me in English and asked - "where do you need to go?" - I told him the address and be said No problem follow me. So he goes to the ticket machine which was rather far from where we are standing and starts to operate the machine extremely fast (rolling the roller, clicking the buttons lightning fast).
Then the machine shows €24 on the screen which I found very weird since I knew that a one way ticket is about €1.6 so I ask the guy why such a high price and he replies "because you are driving to a special district and its more expensive".
At that moments my internal alarm bells started ringing and I simply walked away. I looked at what the guy was doing and he did the same as with me and was trying his luck with another foreigner.

So this is the story...
Does anybody know this scam?
What would be have gained had I gone through with the scam ?
Would he swap the high price "fully loaded" ticket with an empty one? Would he run away with the ticket I bought ?
I'm not sure what the main punch line of the scam is...
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 03:26 AM

Assuming you were going to buy the ticket with your credit card he might have tried to grab it and run (I assume that's why he wanted a high value ticket).
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 03:43 AM

Oh yes. I saw that scam in September when we were in Paris. Someone offered us help with the machine but my husband declined. I stood next to the machine with the luggage for about 20 minutes while my husband walked back to the long line to purchase tickets from a booth. And this is what was happening:

The "helper" (and there was several who wore an official-looking badge) took the victim's credit card and "swiped". Then he told the victim that their CC would not work because it was not a French CC but that he would use HIS CC and the victim could repay in cash. That happened several times as I watched. The next day I happened to see a couple at the Lourve who I watched using the "helper's" assistance and asked them how things worked out for them.
The scam is that their 3-day ticket was actually a 1-way ticket to their intended destination.

I tried to post on Fodor's when we got home but was having a problem with the site so just gave up.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 03:49 AM

Yesterday saw on the BBC a scam at Stansted (probably other places too). 'Welcome to the airport - let me check your bags in, and I'll give you as a special deal, entrance to the First Class Lounge.' Arriving at the check in desk, you discover there is no remote check in, someone has just made off with your bags. I don’t know that there would ever be much in my bags to attract thieves, but there it is.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 05:02 AM

Good to remember that no one is hanging around train stations just to be helpful (sad, but true). I don't care how lost or confused I am....I never accept help from anyone who approaches me in a subway or train station or in an airport. There is usually an ulterior motive that doesn't lead to a happy ending for you. Glad you walked away!
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:23 AM

What denis said. Unsolicited "help" at train stations is almost always a scam. I don't even want to get into the mess a friend of ours experienced in Naples.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There are signs next to the ticket machines in the big train stations in multiple languages warning people not to accept "assistance" from strangers.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I never accept help from anyone who approaches me in a subway or train station or in an airport. There is usually an ulterior motive that doesn't lead to a happy ending for you>>

it's not just european stations and airports where people are out to trick you. at colombo airport they had trolleys wheeled by official baggage helpers wearing bibs stating Rs 200 per bag. [£1]. we didn't mind this as it was a way of helping the local economy and getting rid of our remaining rupees, but when he tried to charge us Rs 800 for our 2 bags, and we objected to that, he looked most affronted when we pointed to his bib with the charges on it!

we were also offered "help" at Termini station; we told them to "vai via" which worked very well. all the ticket machines have english information, just like ATMs.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM
cd

We were "helped" many years ago in the train station in France so it is not a new scam, not a good way to begin a vacation.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Well, just to offer a good experience, several years ago a person helped us buy bus tickets from a machine at Heathrow. Of course, this person came out from behind the counter so seemed quite official. And no scam occurred.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 08:02 AM

Once i saw an italian couple, studying the metro map on the wall of the Omonoia metro station in Athens,
They seemed to be lost, and since i speak italian, i offered my self to help them.....
I was totally surprised from their reaction, i got treated as a scammer......
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM

Agree never to accept help from a random stranger in any tourist venue. Why would they be standing around - if it's not a way to make money.

Accept help only from official staff that YOU approach. Or - if it's obvious the person has noting to gain.

In Germany we were offered parking places a couple of times by people pulling their own cars out - I guess because we had a car with French license plate and decal. But it was obvious they were locals who were leaving themselves.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
cd

Once in Istanbul we walked from our hotel to the Grand Bazaar. Shopped for hours and got completely lost, that is one HUGE, CROWDED place! A kind gentleman noted our delimma, approched and asked if we spoke French, we said no just English, he said sorry and left. But at least he tried. We then saw and hailed a taxi and asked to be taken to our hotel....a thief if ever there was one, his fare was a complete rip off! Not a good representative of his country.
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 09:24 AM

I help people all the time when I see them struggling with bags or buying tickets, or looking at a map. How sad to think everyone believes I am a scammer. I make sure never to touch their money and I always ask if it is ok if I help them.

Have been surprised at how rude some people are when they decline. You can decline in a friendly manner if you don't want help, especially since some cities are known for scams and others aren't, and Frankfurt isn't a big scam city.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi den,

>Good to remember that no one is hanging around train stations just to be helpful ...<

Exception to the rule.

We were trying to figure out how to buy tickets on the finicular in Haifa when a young man wearing a bright yellow vest offered to help us.

It turned out that he worked with (or for) the tourist office.

We purchased our tickets.

He refused a tip.

Old Dec 28th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Recently, in Paris, a nice young lady helped us with the ticket machine in a metro station -- no scam, no theft, just kindness. Some years ago, in New York City, a man helped us at a station then rode with us to our stop, got off with us (not where he was originally going) and gave us a mini walking tour of the area. No scam, no theft, just kindness. I'm very aware that scams occur -- we had a near-incident in Barcelona -- and that we should be ever alert, but isn't it sad that acts of kindness are often mistaken for ulterior motives?
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 08:32 AM

In Munich a man showed me how to use the ticket machine to get from the airport to town. In London the tube stop where I'd noted my hotel was no longer operable and i was staring at the map and a kindly older man helped me. I am pretty NOT trusting but as i was pretty out of it, my guard was down, Luckily the two episodes were fine. Not everyone is a scammer but you do need to be alert.
Old Dec 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM

It's dumb to talk to strangers in train stations who are trying to "help" you, anywhere.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 12:55 AM

Ira, although very generous of you, please don't try to give tips to tourist office employees! If I start seeing the dreaded "tip jar" all over Europe, I will blame it on you
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi N,

> If I start seeing the dreaded "tip jar" all over Europe, I will blame it on you. <

<i>Mea culpa</i>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -