Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Almost 4 weeks in Austria with family; quick side trip to Venice?

Old Apr 11th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer, I'll be traveling to Europe with my parents and my sister. First we're stopping in Paris for 6 days, and then we're flying to Austria for my aunt's wedding! I'll be in Austria from July 4th until the 31st. My dad and my sister are flying home around the 15th, and I'll be staying on with my mom for a couple of extra weeks. All told, I'll be in Austria for almost of a month, which will naturally be glorious.

HOWEVER. I have a hankering to go back to Venice. I've been there twice before, and I love it. And, having never traveled alone before, I'm very tempted to give it a try. So I was thinking of taking a short side trip there after my dad and sister fly home. I picture spending my days peacefully, doing what I want, whenever I want to do it. I just want to wander the streets, get blissfully lost, stop and eat when I feel like it, take afternoon naps, maybe visit a museum or two...nothing stressful, just some nice me-time.

So, my question is, do you think it would be worth it to take 3 or 4 days out of my stay in Austria and go to Venice? It would be a very low budget trip; I wouldn't be able to fly and I'd be staying in a hostel. I'll probably take a night train there and back. Or do you think it would be too much travel time without enough Venice time to make it worthwhile? Would taking a night train be too risky for a woman alone? I've taken night trains before, but always with friends.

I'd value any thoughts and opinions. I love Austria and it would be no hardship to stay there for the whole month. But I don't know when I'll be back in Europe, and I love Italy, so if it's do-able...
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 09:20 AM

Certainly if you can swing it sounds like fun to go. I can't really comment on the night train. You probably have as good as idea as anybody what the scene is and whether you would feel safe. If you have any misgivings, however, find another way to get there. It isn't worth it if your inner voice is saying it's not safe. Listen to that.

Have you checked low cost flights? There are a bunch of airports you could fly into and have an easy journey to Venice by train or bus at a low cost (especially if you book high-speed trains in advance). Airports in Treviso, Bologna, Trieste and Verona are close enough, as well as Milan's airports.

If your previous trips to Venice weren't at that time of year I think you really need air con, not just for the heat but the mosquitoes.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

My last trips to Venice were both in the summer, so i definitely agree on the air conditioner! The heat is also the reason that I'm thinking of doing most of my wandering in the morning and the evening; last time it just got too hot in the afternoon for it to be enjoyable, so I often went back to my room to nap between 10 and 2 or so

As for the night trains, I didn't feel exposed or unsafe last time, but I'm wondering if that was just because I was with other people. I don't think so, though. I was just wondering what others thought because it's possible, having never traveled alone before, that there are things I haven't thought about.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 11:38 AM

I hope someone chimes in. I wouldn't feel right advising you. If you don't get answers here based on personal experience then try the Lonely Planet forums and the Rick Steves forums because they attract more solo female budget travelers I think.

But since your trip would be so short you might check out some low cost flight options if they exist convenient to where you'll be in Austria.
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I'll be near Salzburg-about an hour outside or so, I think. It would have to be a pretty cheap flight. I would say under 150 Euros, I think? Is that even possible?
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

sandralist, I appreciate your input
Old Apr 11th, 2014, 01:47 PM

I just don't know. I don't know what airlines fly out of Salzburg Airport into Italian airport where it would be possible to cheaply take a train to Venice. It might be that nobody flies non'stop, and so that it isn't faster than taking the train, especially if you can't land right in Venice.
Old Apr 13th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I don't think I'd necessarily even want to fly, if I'm totally honest. I don't much enjoy flying. I do like trains, though