Search

Almafi Coast to Capri.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almafi Coast to Capri.

Hi,
Spending 4 days in May out on the Almafi coast. Is it worth trying to "fit" a night out on Capri into our plans?
I know Capri is excellent. But, with Pompei, Sorrento, Revello, etc...all lovely to stroll among, are we attemting too much?
Thanks in advance.
ciao,
Pietro
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Biz

I stopped at Capri on the way back to Naples after several days in Positano and, although it is certainly a unique and beautiful place, it is sort of overrated in my opinion. Certainly it is more off the same thing (dramatic vistas, sparking seas, etc.) after the Amalfi coast. Although all of these places are "touristy" by their nature, Capri seems more so to me -- more crowds, more overpriced shops, etc. Perhaps that's because I was just a day tripper, but Capri is the only place in this area that I would not go out of my way to return to -- Ravello was my favorite spot. However, my wife disagrees and says that Capri is "obligatory" -- "but not that amazing" Certainly it is a must-seek for Roman history buffs as it was the Emperor Tiberius' favorite spot!
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:32 PM

I think you figured it right, Biz. I strongly suspect that if you had stayed behind on Capri and spent a night after all the other day-trippers left, and had taken a moonlit stroll you'd feel totally different about the place.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Pete, I haven't been yet, but we're going this summer and I'm making plans to stay the night, specifically because of what Patrick has so often said. (Thanks Patrick).
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:24 PM

Ciao Biz,

Its good to read that you would return here to Ravello, may I sugest that a visit to neighbouring Scala,Pontone and Minuta will give you a real taste of the Costiera Amalfitana. Also spend an hour or so wandering around the alleyways of Atrani,the small town next to Amalfi.