Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

is capri really nessecary as part of a few days on the Amalfi coast?

Jun 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

We are planning our first trip to Italy at the very end of next May and the plan is to spend 6 days "doing Rome" and then 4 or 5 days relaxing on the Amalfi coast. We plan to base in Positano (I'd love input about where to stay in Positano, our budget is 200 Eoros a night tops)but mostly I'm wondering if the Isle of Capri is a "must see." It seems that during the day it's extremely touristy and I've read that at night it's "magical" so we've have already decided that we will only do it if we stay over for a night and I'm just not sure if it's really worth packing up and "moving" for just one night. Is it really more special than any of the other little towns on the coast and if so what makes it so special?

Any other "must see" things for the Amalfi coast area? The only definiet plan so far is to go to Pompeii one day.

Thanks for the help!
Jun 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Capri is fine but i really like Ischia, a nearby island better. The boat ride to the islands is great but no, in spite of the Blue Grotto, Capri is not a must and would fall after Pompeii (though Capri may be more exhilarating than these hot dusty stones) and the Amalfi Coast would take top billing to me. Yet Capri is very nice. Hard to tell. Try to go to one of the islands.
Jun 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Your post sounds like you are finding touring Italy a little like a chore. Capri is wonderful if you like islands with scenic views and beautiful walking paths. (It can be crowded in the center of town and in the stores.)

No one can tell you if it is worth it to you. I would put Capri on the first or last day of my trip to the AC so I wouldn't have to split up nights. But that is me and you is you.
Jun 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I don't think it's necessary..we were there in October. The ride over was kind of cool. Positano from the water is unbelievable..it;s so vertical..and from the water you can really see it. I would recomend a visit to Ravello..check out the concert schedule...classical music etc. Was ONE of the highlights of our trip.
Jun 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Sea Urchin pretty well said it all! I don't suppose anything on a trip is "necessary" to everybody, since we all have different tastes. We've enjoyed our day trips to Capri. Yes it's crowded, but I'm glad we went and wouldn't hesitate to go again. We've never spent the night, although that seems to get rave reviews. As SU said, the decision is up to you as only you know what appeals to you and what you enjoy seeing and doing.

We love Sorrento. That too gets panned by some as being too touristy. We don't find it so, and the only really unpleasant days as far as we're concerned are those when a cruise ship is in port. Those are the days to stay out of Piazza Tasso and ideally plan to be out of town exploring the Amalfi Coast elsewhere!
Jun 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM

It's not necessarily a "must see" but it's worth the trip IMO.

I loved a day in Capri .... to me it had a more general european feel than the more Italian AC. The views on the island are spectaclar.
Jun 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM

I was just in Positano for four nights in late April, and I didn't feel that I had time to go to Capri, and I also don't look back and think I missed anything, either.

As to where to stay in Positano on a budget, I would highly recommend the Villa Rosa. We stayed in Room 32, which was a very large and beautiful corner room with a terrace as large as the room. The staff were friendly, breakfast served in your room, and very close to town without feeling crowded or noisy at all.

As to what to do in a few days on the Amalfi Coast, my wife's favorite activity of our time there (aside from our wedding day) was taking a 3-hour afternoon boat tour of the Amalfi Coast. There were four of us, the boat captain, and Maddalena, who made our reservations, ended up coming along and was an amazing tour guide. The company is Cassiopea and their website is www.cassiopea-positano.com. I checked with other companies and thought this was a great bargain, and also liked that it is a family-run business.

You can also rent mopeds and drive along the Amalfi Coast, which was my favorite activity. My friend made the arrangements, and I forget the company's name now, but they were located right on the main one-way road through Positano.

Outside of Positano, we really loved going to Ravello one day, especially the Cimbrone Gardens (your jaw will drop when you reach the Terrace of Infinity). We ate a delicious lunch at Cumpa Cosimo, where "Mama" brought us a special dessert to celebrate our wedding, and "Papa" kept checking on us, too. We found the Ceramiche d'Arte factory shop in town, which has a very large selection of dinnerware patterns and everything is made on site. The ride down the hill on the SITA bus was exciting, and then we enjoyed a glass of wine in the town square in Amalfi before heading home to Positano.

Have a great trip!
Jun 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM

I don't think it's worth the packing and unpacking to stay one night in Capri. But if you get up early one morning, or want to arrange ahead, try one of the 1/2 day tours of Capri arranged by the tour companies located at the town dock in Positano. We used Gennore e Salvatore and were very pleased.

We also stayed in Capri for several nights a few summers ago, and frankly, it just wasn't my favorite spot. It reminded me of the Hamptons in Italy, but that might be because we stayed in Capri Town, which is where the hordes of day trippers do most of their shopping.

As far as things that you should really see or do in the Amalfi Coast, I highly recommend at least one dinner or lunch in the mountain village of Montepertuso. This village is about a 15 minute drive from Positano. Many of the restaurants there arrange roundtrip transfers for guests staying in Positano. Our favorite restaurants there are IL RITROVO and DONNA ROSA, but I keep hearing about LA TAGLIETTELLA, too. If you can get a dinner reservation around sunset, go for it. The views are astounding!

There's also an unbelievably good restaurant between Sorrento and Positano called QUATTRO PAESI (spelling?). One of the best meals I've ever had in my life!

Jun 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM

I would say not seeing Capri is not a life mistake. It was my least favorite part of the Amalfi coast - but only did a day trip.

Ravello is my favorite place in that area.
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM

We must be easy to please because we love everything about Italy.

It surprises and saddens me to hear so much dissent about this lovely country that has touched my heart.
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Well, its not that I disliked Capri - I just liked all the other places better. Its the "Curse of Rich Blessings" in Italy for sure

I also did not do as much research before I got there as other places so we just winged it. SO, if one is to go, i would suggest getting your itinerary down in advance to maximize your time.
Jun 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Dear Plafield

Of course Capri is lovely, but if you want to relax, I say please do. It isn't necessary to see everythng in an area, and we used our time in Positano for relaxing.

We had one day trip planned to Amalfi and Ravello, but I got so sick on the bus going to Amalfi and that we never made it to Ravello.

Pompeii is my least favorite destination in the area. Many will disagree; I'm just giving you my opinion. There is just too much death and destruction there for me. The site is huge and I think best visited with a guide. I've been there a few times and won't go back.

That said, I would go back to Capri, even though I didn't on my last trip to the area when we spent a lot of time relaxing in Positano.

One reason that Positano was so relaxing for us was the pool area at the Hotel Poseidon. It was just gorgeous and the views were remarkable. We loved this hotel; the service made us feel special and pampered. We had lunch and snacks and drinks by the pool quite often. It was just so nice .

We had a room with a view, but on a lower level, nearer the street but still a great view. I believe we payed 180 Euro, which will be at the top of your budget, but well worth it. I am so glad that we stayed there.

The food was so good that we ate dinner there twice. The second time was better than the first! And one night, there were opera singers on the terrace, entertaining the guests. A really special place.
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM

plafield,

We LOVED Capri, just back from early May trip to AC. Soooo glad we went. We had great weather, great food, a fab
hotel, etc, etc. Click on my name for my very recent report.

You do need to stay over and as others suggested, do it first or last.

Wherever I am in Italy is great and a privilege, so I'm happy no matter what usually.

Capri is magical at night, no doubt about it. There are lovely hotels and nice restaurants, but only you can decide. Nothing on a trip is "must see", it's all about you and your preferences.

You will love Positano, but we stayed in Sorrento and loved it. IMHO, it's all great, it's what you bring to the table that allows you to enjoy!

Have a great time!!!!!
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Ravello also my favorite part of the area, in fact is where we stayed. Definitely go to the gardens mentioned, and have lunch or dinner in or near the square. Walk the little streets and at night, Ravello Sq was something we enjoyed immensely - all ages, kids kicking soccer balls, babies toddling around, couples having drinks, the elders chatting, - we felt like residents and everyone was so friendly.

Also bought some great dishes there that I love to use and remember our nights and days in Ravello!
Jun 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM

oh, we also loved Herculaneum, nice to compare to Pompeii as they were far ahead in some of their design and architecture in many respects.
Jun 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM

I was extremely disappointed inthe changes in the costa amalfitania and capri from a trip 20 odd years ago, way too overcrowded, but really liked 4 nights in Napoli ( Mediterraneo Hotel): Pompeii , Ercolaneo, climbing Vesuvio: for relaxation I'd recommend a week in the Aeolian Islands, great ferry connections invcluding overnight boat from napoli to Stromboli where one can climb the (active) volcano. sheer bliss

AndrewDavid
Jun 7th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. Of course I know it's my decision but having never been there it helps to hear others' experieces and likes and dislikes. Thanks to those of you who posted those. We've decided that after 6 days of Rome (and rest assured we are in no way seeing any of this trip as a chore!) we want to be very relaxed so we will stay in Positano and skip an overnight on Capri. We might go for a partial day trip if we feel like it but it sounds like there is plenty of gorgeous view to be had without going to Capri. We have been inspired to check out Ravello and see about attending a concert there. Thanks for the info.
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:15 AM
ira

Hi P,

You might find the Naples/AC part of my trip report helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Jun 7th, 2006, 07:12 AM

www.rcs.amalficoast.it/concerti_b.htm is a site for the concerts...usually at night in Ravello
Jun 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Gia

I think you can go to Positano and then wait and see how you feel about the place.

We did a similar thing last year (whole trip was Amsterdam, Paris, Positano and Rome). I had so much planned for our 4 days in Positano including an excursion or possibly a night in Capri, but we loved Positano so much we just decided to stay there, take it all in, walk to the beach everyday, have leisurely lunches followed by a nap. We got to know a couple of the merchants and restaurant owners near our hotel (Punta Regina - highly recommend it!). Everyone was so lovely. It was a great place to relax and recharge for the next leg of our trip. I threw my itinerary out the window and I sigh and smile every time I think of those 4 perfect Positano days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO