Reload this Page >

All booked? What?

Search

All booked? What?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 02:01 AM
mp

All booked? What?

My nother sister and I wanted to stay at <BR>D'Aubusson in St Germaine the end of May and <BR>found that they were completely booked. Despite our disappointment, we are looking at <BR>L'Hotel (any remarks?) and Jardins du Luxenbourg,Relais St Sulspice, Lutecia? SP? I am at a total loss. We are staying in a super inexpensive London hotel just so we may stay at a super cool Paris hotel and I can't <BR>seem to make a choice. Help! <BR>Thanx beforehand! <BR>MP

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Brian in Atlanta

We used to have a poster named Vincent who I believe lived in Paris who gave first-rate Parisian advice. Haven't heard from him in a while, though. <BR> <BR>If I remember correctly, he strongly recommended Hotel Jardins du Luxenbourg. You could try to do a search for his thoughts, but it may be tough if the spelling isn't exact.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Found it (I'm putting off painting my bathroom this morning): <BR> <BR>Author: Vincent ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 7/21/1999, 4:07 am ET <BR> <BR>Message: Jeff, I would recommend Hôtel Jardins du Luxembourg : it's utterly charming, it's got A/C, close to the famous tree-lined boulevard (Saint-Michel, in that case, in the heart of the Latin Quarter, but the chic one, not the one with kebabs and busloads of German tourists ! ), but in a very quiet dead-end street. A double should be under 1000 F. Their data : 5, impasse Royer-Collard, 75006 Paris. Tél. 01 40 46 08 88 ; fax 01 40 46 02 28. Have fun ! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 06:47 AM
Bob Brown

Hi folks. I emailed Vincent at the address that Brian lists some time ago. I never got a reply, but the message did not bounce back to me. I can only presume that Vincent has resigned from the ranks. Shame. His extensive knowledge was helpful to many people. <BR> <BR>Vincent: If you are out there, return to the forum. We need you!!

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 11:43 AM
Patrick

My two recommendations would be Relais Christine, or Relais St. Germain. I have stayed in the latter twice, perhaps the biggest and nicest decorated hotel rooms in Paris. Our room has a king bed, a full size sofa, two upholstered chairs and an ottoman, a desk and chair, and two bookcases filled with books. The second one had an opened wall with rustic beams between the two rooms creating a sort of two room suite with all blue toile upsholsered walls and blue rubbed wood accents. Just off Odeon at St. Germain. Relais Christine is about three blocks away, toward the river in a quiet cul-de-sac. Haven't stayed there, but quite an elegant and atmospheric place. Last summer our rooms at Relais St. Germain were about $289.00 with the super dollar it should be lower this year.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 12:21 PM
steve

We stayed at the Hotel des Jardins du Luxembourg this past summer. It is quite charming and the staff is very helpful and friendly. Our room was very small though nicely furnished. There was an article last year in Gourmet Magazine on small hotels of Paris and it mentioned the D'Aubusson and the Jardins du Luxembourg. The D'Aubusson seemed a bit more expensive. I have never stayed at L'Hotel but have been in to look around. It is where Oscar Wilde died so it has an interesting past. The interior is very attractive, but I did not have time to go into a room. <BR>The article in Gourmet was the May, 1999 issue and it mentions several nice small hotels.

Old Feb 12th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Christine

I stayed at L'Hotel about 3 years ago. It was a very eclectic hotel. The walls were covered in velvet which matched the bed spread, which was kind of strange. The inside has a beautiful <BR>spiral stairway which is quite unique. The hotel was just very, very cozy (small), and the room extremely small. It had some interesting (unique) art work on the walls, of Vietnamese peasants whose eyes followed you. <BR>At any rate, I think that the Jeu de Paume is a super cool Paris hotel. <BR>Here's a web site to check it out <BR>http://www.pariserve.tm.fr/hotel/hot...me/english.htm

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Carol

Another vote for the Relais Christine or Relais St. Germain. Forget the Lutetia, friends of mine found it filled with tour groups and a little threadbare--certainly not super cool. Jardins du Luxembourg gets great reviews on this site.

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 01:27 PM
elaine

mp, We stayed at the hotel de L'abbey in the 6th arr. very close to the luxembourg gardens and St. sulpice church. It was small (used to be an abbey in the 15th century) but beutiful, quiet, wonderful staff, and good location. Cost about 900 francs. They have their own website (sorry can't find my info on it right now)

Old Feb 16th, 2000, 04:37 PM
mp

Thank you to all for the great advice. I have gone ahead and booked 2 rooms at Jardins du Luxembourg- at a great rate I might add. I phoned the Relais St. Germaine- booked as well-I hope it wasn't my accent...I'm glad we have reservations, however I'm torn, looking at the map, St Sulspice might be closer to what we might want to be near. Is the Latin Quarter as spiffy as St Germaine? <BR>I know we want cafes and less tourists (thanks for the tip on Lutecia), but I don't want to feel removed.. Any hints? <BR>