Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alitalia strikes..will Delta be there for me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am booked on Alitalia flights purchased through Delta on May 5th at 6pm traveling to Naples with a stop over in Milan and returning on May 17th direct to JFK from Rome at 1pm.
Several sources have quoted the following strikes.
May 6th 2004: 24 hours air strike of Alitalia pilots.
May 6th 2004: 8 hours (1000 - 1800) air strike of Alitalia personnel.
May 17th 2004: 4 hours nationwide air strike (1200 - 1600 ) of Enav flight controllers
I called Delta and they told me if there is a problem before I leave they will call me. Should I have faith in this statement? I don't want to get stuck in Milan during my flight change on May 6th. Should I ask them to change my flight to connect in Rome because even if there were a strike, I could always take a train to Naples, not so easy if stuck in Milan. I'm not too worried about the return flight, but don't want to lose the afternoon in Naples which is the only time I'd have to visit the city. Any advice or similar experience? Delta told me they have "ground personnel" in Milan but I'm a little leery. They also don't seem too concerned and I'm not sure I can even persuade them to change the flight without paying a fee.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:34 AM

Those strike situation are often fluid, but you can't discount the chance that it is going to happen. And if it does, then you can't fly from Milan to Naples. I think if DL can change your outbound flight to Rome from Milan right now, I would have them do it immediately. But if there's a fee involved, then you have to decide whether it's worth it.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Update: Just spoke to Delta. The representative told me that Delta had no info regarding these strikes and if I wanted to change my flight it would be $350 ($200 change fee plus $150 fare difference)which is almost what I payed for the ticket! I guess I'll just have to hold tight. The rep said to call the night before and if they have been advised of a strike, they will put me on the Rome flight if possible(?).
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:28 PM

The last time I went in May strikes were planned and Delta told me they knew nothing about it. They were definitely striking the day I arrived in Venice, but my hotel sent a water taxi for me. Don't count on Delta to give you any help.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

My gut feeling is the same Wandering Texan. I really doubt Delta gives a hoot! Thanks to both of you.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

PS- I have a plan of action that may be of value to others in the same situation. I'm going to contact Delta by phone the day before I leave if the strike warning is still out. If they won't change my ticket at no cost to the Rome flight, I'm going to print out everything I find on the internet regarding the strike (will also call Alitalia to get their update) and take it directly to the Delta ticket office nearby. And if that doesn't work, I'll go to the airport very early on the day of my flight, printed info in hand, and demand to have my flight changed. Gosh, I remember when air travel was so much easier and one never needed a "game plan"!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:22 AM

I am in the same boat with American Airlines and Alitalia. My husband and I are flying from Miami to Paris 5/27 and after a 3 hour layover in Paris we're supposed to get on a flight from Paris to Rome. Alitalia has advertised a strike from 12-4PM and our flight is at 12:35. AA says they will change my tickets for $200 ea and after I suggested that I just stay in Paris instead, they said they would cancel the return flight. I tried to explain that I my hotels have cancellation policies and I can't afford to eat the cost of the hotel in Rome and a hotel in Paris if we are stranded. They finally said that Alitalia will notify them of the strike a week or 2 ahead of time and they MIGHT be able to help me a few days before we leave. I know I'm frustrated because it's "no skin off thier nose" if I change my itinerary - they have their money.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM

I'm in a similar situation, except I am scheduled on Alitalia, on May 6th (leaving Washington DC at 5:30 PM). I am planning to call Alitatlia in the morning.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

I called Delta today and the agent said there was a strike "alert" for the next couple of days. He told me to try back tomorrow for an update.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:26 AM

I spoke to an Alitalia agent on Sunday, May 2. We're flying from JFK on May 6 to Rome and returnig on May 14. The agent claimed there were no strikes planned for the next few weeks. Of course I don't believe him. I'm not sure what to do but monitor the situation daily. The worst is that we're using our Delta frequent flier miles. Any suggestions?
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:10 AM

sfarah,
Our Alitalia flight is scheduled to leave for Milan the 17th from JFK (return 25th). What sources gave you the information about strikes, e.g, for May 17th of Enav flight controllers? I have not seen that anywhere yet.

We paid for a tour, so we don't really have much flexibility in changning flights.
Old May 4th, 2004, 05:20 AM

RKay48 -

The following is a good place to go for strikes information (including those planned for May 17th):

http://www.seekitaly.com/news/from_roma.html

Old May 5th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Rookie:
Thanks for the link.
Now I see that the Alitalia pilots are planning a strike on the 17th.

http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?
doc=200405031900-1235-RT1-CRO-0-NF11&page=0&id=agionline-eng.oggitalia

What a joke of an airline. I doubt I will ever fly Alitalia again in my life.....
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Hi RKay48 -

Now that I see this again, since your flight is the 17th won't you arrive the morning of the 18th? If so, the strikes on the 17th probably won't affect you. I sympathize with you - I remember the anxiety I felt about Italian transportation strikes before my trip last year. All you can do is hope for the best and enjoy your visit to Italy.