Alitalia seat assignments

Feb 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Alitalia seat assignments

I have been trying to book flights on Alitalia, and it looks like now you can chose your seats. However, I have not been able to get the seat map to come up. Has anyone else tried this yet?

Also, online it only allows you to book 4 passengers and we have total. I cannot do orbitz or any other booking engine because the fares are much higher for the same flights. I keep getting that orbitz error message that those fares are not really available, blah blah...

Should I just give in an use a travel agent to book it? HELP I have not used one in so many years I would not even know who to use :0

TIA

Feb 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Why don't you just book the tickets online and then call Alitalia and speak to a reservation agent there. They can assign your seats.
Feb 14th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I might do that. The problem is that it only allows me to buy 4 tix, not 5, so the 5th passenger is not on the same reservation. I have run into issues in the past with other airlines having separate reservations and trying to sit together...but I still might do what you suggest.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:02 AM

Sounds like the easiest solution would be to call Alitalia directly and book the reservations and seat assignments from them at that time.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM
ira

ditto, J.

If they won't give you the internet rate over the phone, book 4, then book 1, then call and have your seats assigned.

Feb 14th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting seat assignments. From what I've read here and based on my one-time experience, they don't mean anything anyhow.

Just as predicted by fodoites, we had an "equipment change" on the way over, which voided our seat assignment, and on the way back, we were delayed for about 2 hours and found ourselves subject to "open seating."
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:31 AM

BTW: we(3 of us) are booked on Alitalia from JFK to Rome 3/29.
I booked thru expedia and I usually don't bother with seat assignments till a week or so before we leave. Since we are flying NWA from Mpls to JFK, I may just not get into the seat thing till we check into the airport with NWA in Mpls since like others have said, it doesn't seem to make a difference.
However, I would like hearing about anyone's overall experience flying Alitalia since we never have. TIA!
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will just book online and call them. I have just had nightmare experiences in the past having two reservations.

But like J said , I would love to hear some experiences flying Alitalia. As all I tend to hear is "they lost our luggage" that does not make for a fun trip

Thanks again!
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM

I have flown Alitalia at least once a year for the past 5 years or so and never had a serious problem. And I have always had assigned seats which have been honored. I book my flights by phone directly with the airline. I find their service to be just fine.
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate that!