Search

Alitalia carry-on baggage limitations for going to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alitalia carry-on baggage limitations for going to Italy

Hi again everyone,
Have seen this addressed before, but frankly did not believe it. Haha to me. Went to Alitalia's website this a.m. Am I reading it correctly? (The conversions are mine):
"You are allowed to carry only one piece of hand luggage onboard which must not exceed the following dimensions (including handles, side pockets and wheels):
Weight: 5 kgs. 11 POUNDS ???!!!
Length: 55 cm 21.6 INCHES
Height: 25 cm 9.8
Depth: 35 cm 13.7

Personal belongings such as briefcases and portable computers are considered to be hand luggage which you can take onboard in addition to the above...."

So I do get the fact that you can have 2 carry-ons: 1 suitcase-ish and one pocket-bookish/computer-ish type of things(contrary to some stuff I read here b4), but 11 pounds for the main item???

I have ALWAYS done carry-on only, no checked luggage, but this seems impossible to me with these restrictions--esp the weight. I have an ultra-lite wheelie dealie, but when I weighed it today with ONLY my clothes and shoes in it, it weighed 24 lbs. Staying for 2 weeks, planning to do some laundry, so I guess I can take out some stuff.

Have I overpacked? Can carry-on only still be done by you guys?? If you all can do, then by golly I am going to do it too! What do you pack it in if you do carry-on...duffles? And then take a sep. collapsible luggage carrier?

Thanks for any ideas!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I just think you'd make the Guinness Book of World Records if you can pack for a 2-week trip and have the bag weigh less than 11 pounds.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Hey Howard,
You made me feel better! I thought maybe I was missing some imp. lite-packing gene that all the other Fodorites had. Since I'm female I always think I'm packing too much, but I think I've pared everything down as much as possible. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and take my chances with the possibility of "Lost Luggage".
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Statistically, the chance of your luggage getting lost is actually very slight. Sure, it can happen, but the odds are greatly against it.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM

You also have to check the airports' limitations.

For example, according to the websites, UK airports allow only ONE carry-on bag. Period.
www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/security.html

"Cabin baggage and size allowed

* ONE item of hand baggage is allowed; dimensions: 56 centimetres long [approximately 22 inches], 45 centimetres high [approximately 17.5 inches], 25 centimetres deep [approximately 9.85 inches] including wheels, handles, side pocket.

* All items of luggage which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size must be checked in to be placed in the aircraft hold.

* Musical instruments . . .

* Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. A laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin.

* Pushchairs . . ."

Woody