Alitalia airline carryon baggage

May 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Alitalia airline carryon baggage

I understand there are new rules in Europe limiting us to one carry one which has to include our purse or briefcase inside. But the Alitalia airline says the limit is 5 Kilos (11 pounds). Do they actually weigh the pieces? We are flying KLM into Amsterdam from the US, connecting with AlItalia to Milan and then another AlItalia to Malta. I'm afraid checked luggage will not arrive when and where we do, so were planning to take one small carryon rollaboard plus a purse. Now the small rollabord won't fit the purse and I'll have to go to the 22" size, but it is sure to weigh more than 5 kilos, even with no shoes inside. Help!!
May 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM

<<< I understand there are new rules in Europe limiting us to one carry one which has to include our purse or briefcase inside. >>>

Only for the UK,for the EU it's been put back to November at the earliest

As for weight - you should get the same allowance as for Transatlantic ASSUMING that that it's a connecting flight
May 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Yes they do weigh them
May 25th, 2007, 02:56 AM

I flew to and from the U.S. on Alitalia last October. Our carry on bags were not weighed.
May 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Flew Alitalia from Rome on April 6. My carry-on was not weighed, but I suppose that the various clerks have the option of asking to have it weighed. Some people carried on,what I thought were, very large bags. There was an agent (?) by the plane entrance and he was checking items if people decided not to carry them on. Ciao. mhm
May 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I didn't see any carry on being weighed by any airline on my trip to Italy a couple of weeks ago. I'd take the chance they won't weigh it. The worse thing that can happen is that they suddenly start doing this and your bag has to be checked (along with everyone else--can you imagine the fuss and furor that will cause!). Most everyone was boarding with one carry on and a purse, briefcase, or equivalent.
May 25th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Generally when you have a multi flight route you get the largest luggage allowance for the whole of the flight - both checked & cabin.

There are exceptions though - eg any flight from a UK airport