Ali Guven Sandals - Bodrum, Turkey

Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali Guven Sandals - Bodrum, Turkey

Hi, I was in Bodrum, Turkey in May and purchased sandals from a cobbler highly recommended by Fodor's called Ali Guven, who has been in business for 40+ years and has made shoes for various celebrities (as he likes to tell you). It has been five+ months and I have yet to receive them or hear any word and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?
On the recommendation of the Fodor's Turkey guide, I went to the cobbler Ali Guven to have snadals made. The whole experience was a bit strange as he barely spoke english and it seemed like the first time he'd ever sold a pair of sandals as the process was very disorganized and haphazard. He required $300 payment in cash-only for the sandals, which seemed very expensive to me, but then again, I'd never purchased hand-made sandals. He didn't provide any kind of receipt or proof of purchase, and said I'd receive them in 1-2 months (via a friend of his from Bristol who was going to be visiting?). It is now mid-November - over five months since I purchased them -and I have yet to receive them or hear from him. Has anyone else purchased sandals from him and what was your experience? If anything, I think that Fodor's should note the high cost of the sandals in their recommendation, cash-only policy and the loose time-frame for receiving them.
Thanks,
Brette
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judging from this Web page, Ali Guven is a favorite son in Bodrum:

http://sunsearch.info/turkey/bodrum/...-sandal-maker/

And I imagine Mick Jagger and Bette Midler don't mind paying $300. for a pair of sandals.

You might try to write to the tourist office in Bodrum...