Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Alhambra in Granada - advance tickets necessary?

Aug 1st, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

We are visiting Andalucia for a week at the end of August and want to spend a day of our trip in Granada; specifically to visit the Alhambra.

The website does suggest advance ticket booking may be necessary at peak times, but we'd rather not commit to which day we'll visit, and just decide whilst we're on holiday.

Does anyone have any experience of visitng the Alhambra during August, and if so would you advise booking admission tickets in advance to avoid disappointment?
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM

We were there in mid-September and didn't have advance tickets. We showed up at the ticket office at 8:00 am one morning and waited about 10-15 minutes in line and got in quickly.

Note that your ticket also includes entry to the Palace at a specific time. Our entry was for 9:30 a.m. You can only get into the palace at a certain time, but the rest of the grounds are free to be roamed at your will.

Depending on what time you arrive, I imagine you'd have to wait a bit in line, but you'll probably get in that day.
Aug 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM

Let's look at the negatives. We were there a couple of years ago in early June.

At the time we arrived (10AM) there was a 60 minute wait (we had tickets). When we left several hours later the wait had grown to over 2 hours.

If I remember correctly, the price is about 5E per person (more or less).

I would think even if you're not sure when you can make it, you should buy tickets for a couple of slots. Waiting half a day on a vacation half way around the world may not be the best way to spend your time.

Aug 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your swift responses - despite the differing opinions! It sounds like it may be one of those times where it's best for us to err on the side of caution and pre-book tickets, just in case it is busier than expected.

Thank you once again.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:23 AM

You can also buy Alhambra tickets at any BBVA bank office, choosing the available hour to enter the palaces it suits you best.
Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:52 AM

Tickets ar 10.-euro per person.
Go to www.alhambratickets.com choose your language and read through.
I'll never stop mentioning how important is to understand this thing of time slots etc. as I have seen the queues, and I have seen people really MAD at being late and not being permitted access to the palaces, and they shall not let you in, no exceptions here.