Reload this Page >

Alhambra - Granada

Search

Alhambra - Granada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:58 AM
sharon

Alhambra - Granada

How much time should I give myself to visit the Alhambra?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Julie

We were there about 4 hours. Make sure you see the Generalife (garden) area too.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Sandy

We were there at least 6 hours. It's absolutely huge! All I can suggest is, don't go making any other plans for that day, you will be too exhausted to do anything else other than eat and rest.<BR>It was worth it though -a magical place.<BR>Have fun.<BR>Regards,<BR>Sandy

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Judy

Sharon, we toured the area about a little over 4 hours, takes longer if you eat there. Judy

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Maribel

sharon,<BR>For me 4 hrs. would be the minimum. Max. of 6, if including lunch.<BR>2 atmospheric choices: <BR>the terrace of the famous former convent-Parador or the little patio of the Hotel America-we choose the Parador for the evening meal, though-classical guitarrist plays at night, very romantic and serene.<BR><BR>Yes, make sure to walk up to the Generalife, the Moorish royal summer retreat.<BR>We save this for the late morning, when the heat soars and crowds swell down below. You'll notice immediately the much cooler temperature as you walk in-a cool oasis, as you're surrounded by beautiful gardens, fountains, reflecting pool and "water stairway". It's a delight.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
colleenk

Maribel- Do you think Granada and the Alahambra deserves 1 night or 2? Am trying to decide how long to stay there on my way from Barcelona and to Seville on a 10 day trip.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Colleen

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:10 PM
topper

Topping.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Maribel

Colleen,<BR>Granada is "doable" in 1 day (and some will tell you, "see the Alhambra then get the heck out of Dodge"), but I always give it 2 days in the summer because of the heat factor and the very heavy crowds, plus the fact that we usually come in late from Toledo, after a long drive and heavy day of sighseeing along that route. <BR><BR>We always arrive the night before, stay on the Alhambra hill, maybe taxi down to town to take a walk up into the Moorish Albaicin to the famous Mirador de San Nicolas for that stunning sunset view of the Alhambra and Sierra Nevada in the background, then to the Paseo de los Tristes along the River Darro (below the Albaicin) or the Campo del Principe (right below the Alhambra hill-can walk down from the Hotel Alhambra Palace) for tapas.<BR><BR>The next morning we have in hand an early ticket (8:30-9) for entering the Royal Palaces, spend about 6 hrs. touring, including lunch, then at 3:30, take the little shuttle bus that leaves from right below the Alhambra ticket office to the Plaza Nueva downtown. We take a short walk to the Cathedral and the Royal Chapel, to see the magnificent tombs of Ferdinand and Isabella, Joan the Mad and Phillip the Fair (daughter and son-in-law) and the museum, take a walk around the area (but I'm really not fond of scruffy downtown Granada-it looks much lovelier at night), then shuttle back up to the Alhambra hill, rest and have a wonderful early-ish 9 p.m. dinner on the terrace of the Parador, then to bed and out early the next day. <BR><BR>If you allow only 1 day, please know that touring the vast Alhambra complex is exhausting, as Sandy righly says, so I certainly wouldn't attempt to drive very far that afternoon/evening, after your all morning tour! I certainly wouldn't attempt to drive to Sevilla that day.<BR><BR>Hope this helps answer your question.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:25 AM
topper

Topping.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:31 AM
xxx

I think it deserves two nights (we were lucky and got a reservation at the Parador). <BR><BR>Day 1: arrived late in the day and went to the park in town and watched the sunset.<BR><BR>Day 2: toured the Alhambra<BR><BR>Day 3: toured the town and left mid-afternoon.<BR><BR>Felt it was the perfect amount of time.