Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time to spend in the Palacious Nazaries of Alhambra in Granada?

Aug 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM
fae
Original Poster

Please give me recommendations on how much time to plan on spending in just the Palacious Nazaries portion of Alhambra in Granada during a day visit? Thanks!
Aug 24th, 2012, 10:05 PM
kja

I suspect the time it takes varies a great deal from person to person.

As I recall, I spent 2 or 3 hours in the Nasrid Palaces during my day-time visit and another 1.5 hours during my night visit that same day. I'm sure that many people pass through much more quickly. And I can easily imagine spending even more time there.

It is magnificent. Enjoy!
Aug 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM

I loved Alhambra but IMO the gardens are more spectacular even than the Alhambra palace. Our visit took us into the "golden " hour, when most people were gone already, and it felt like it was all ours to enjoy. I could have stayed another hour or two.
Aug 25th, 2012, 05:08 AM

We spent about an hour in the palace grounds the evening before out tour and about 4 hours in the palace and the gardens - about 2 hours in each. It is a place you do not want to rush through. Both the palace and the gardens are a feast for the senses and best enjoyed at your leisure. Our visit was in late September in the afternoon.
Aug 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I've been there in January, then in October in the daytime and in April in the evening. Wonderful place. I bought a copy of Washington Irving's Tales of the Alhambra, which makes it even more romantic/meaningful/fascinating.
Aug 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM

That's such a hard question to answer. It seems like it took at least 3 hours. It's such a beautiful and intricate place. I had to sit and just enjoy it.

I imagine a tour group would go through it in an hour to ninety minutes. How long does it usually take you to get through something?
Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM

As much time as you can spare. We stayed overnight at the Alhambra at the Paradore there (HIGHLY recommended). We were able to walk the gardens after dinner at the spectacular restaurant. Hordes of sweet feral cats, sparkling lights down below, magical evening. Such a great memory...and from 20 years ago!