Search

Alhambra

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 05:09 PM
Larry

Alhambra

I've heard that you either need or can get advance reservations for visiting the Alhambra in Grenada. Is this true? If so, how does one go about doing this. <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 06:11 PM
julie

Not true. Were there in April..Just get up early (if you stay at the Washington Irving, or the Parador de San Francisco it is easy) then go to the kiosk and get tickets. I think they are printed by the hour, so they only let so many in per hour. Early is best, not so crowded and can look at each wonder without peeking around dozens of other people. It is one of my favorite places, have been 4 times and will go again before I die.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 05:17 AM
Marija

I would get tickets in advance. There's no need to wait in that long and unpredictable line (or get up unnecessarily at the crack of dawn!) and take the chance of not getting a ticket. If you're staying at the Parador, ask and they will purchase the tickets for you. Last year you could purchase tickets at least a day in advance at all branches of some bank. I don't know if that's still true. I believe there's also a web site.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 06:02 AM
amg

Larry, <BR> <BR>You can buy tickets in advance. Check out the Rick Stecves web site www.ricksteves.com he has the information posted on the banks you can purchase them at. They sell out tickets by about 10:30 almost every day, so if you do not purchase your tickets ahead, get to the ticket gate at least 1/2 hour before opening. If you get on line early you should get a morning time for seeing the main palace. We talked to people who bought tickets at 9:30 and had to wait until 3PM to see the palace. We went in May which is not supposed to be peak season yet, so if you are going in summer buy your tickets in advance to reduce stress. It takes about 4-5 hours to see the Alahamra and it is amazing. <BR> <BR>Aileen

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:55 PM
scigirl

You can get tickets the same day - but possibly not the day and or time that you want. Buying tickets in advance is a breeze at the BBB banks. (I can't recall the full name.) I was there in early April and several days were already filled up in advance and we had only a few time slots to choose from for the day we did go. We bought tickets about 1 week in advance. If you can't buy them in advance you should be ok as long as you are flexiable. But, it is worth wandering into a BBB bank (they are all over) and taking care of it in advance.

Old Aug 2nd, 2000, 01:56 PM
MaureenGP

We just visited the Alhambra in June, and because we were staying at the Hotel America, next to the parador, it was easy for my husband (an early riser) to go to the ticket booth at about 7:45 a.m. He could have gotten tickets for any time. He choose 10:30, so my daughter and I could sleep in a little bit. There were about 15 people ahead of him in line. But, you can order the tickets in advance on the website for the Alhambra, or buy them at a bank (I think the Bank of Bilbao, but I'm not certain). <BR> We actually went to the Alhambra twice. The night before (a Thursday), we bought tickets (same price) for the moonlight tour from 10 p.m. until midnight, and the three of us agree that is one of the best memories we have of our trip. It is much less crowded, cooler, and just more evocative. I'll always remember sitting in the Court of Lions and by the reflecting pool in the moonlight. But, we also went back the next day--you can see much more detail in the daylight, and of course, the gorgeous gardens and Generalife, which are worth the trip alone.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Art

Maureen (or anybody) You mentioned a website for the Alhambra, do you remember what it is. <BR>Thanks <BR>Art <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:23 AM
JoAnne

Larry, I just got back from Spain last week and Granada and the Alhambra were the highlight of my trip. The Alhambra was simply magic in my opinion. I was with a group so I'm no help about getting tickets. I just wanted to tell you that whatever you have to do to get them is very much worth it. We also saw the Alhambra from St.Nichols square at night and it took my breath away-no words to describe it. Have a fabulous trip.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 11:23 AM
Paulo

The bank referred to above is BBV (Banco Bilbao-Vizcaya) and tickets may be bought (small handling fee) in any branch you can find in Spain (they're all over the place). You specify the date and time slot you wish. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:17 PM
mmgr

Larry: <BR> <BR>As some other posters have suggested, you MIGHT be able to walk up to the ticket booth (halfway up the Alhambra hill, not down in the town) and get tickets, but it is probably safer to reserve in advance. This way you can also get a better time slot for entry into the Nasrid Palace. I would suggest as early in the morning as possible; we went in at 9:00 A.M. last June, and the place was already getting uncomfortably overcrowded by the time we left. <BR> <BR>The bank is the BBV (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya);branches are all over Spain so you can drop in and buy tickets a few days before your arrival in Granada. <BR>If you or someone you know speaks Spanish, you can reserve months in advance by calling the BBV from the US (34 91 374 54 20), charging the tickets on a credit card, and getting a confirmation number. Once in Spain, you present the number at any BBV branch, which will print out your tickets. <BR> <BR>I don't know if you can get advance tickets from the BBV for the nightime illuminated visits to the palace, but they are definitely worth it. We got <BR>our tickets from the same booth halfway down the hill where people get their day tickets. The booth re-opens at about 9:45 p.m., when you can buy your tickets and trot back up the hill (go through the wrought iron gates next to the booth) to arrive slightly out of breath just as the the Nasrid Palace re-opens from 10:00 - 11:30 p.m. (These were the hours last June, don't know if they are still valid). <BR> <BR>If you can, don't miss the all the fabulous parts of the Alhambra besides the Nasrid Palace: the Alcazaba, the Generalife, the Generalife gardens, the Partal gardens, the Gate of Justice, the towers around the fortress walls. There is a interesting, well-appointed museum of the Alhambra in the basement of the Palacio Carlos V, blissfully air conditioned and small enough to go through in a short time. <BR> <BR>By the way, there are tons of moderately to totally useless maps of the Alahmbra out there, but the only decent one I've seen is an insert in a tour book called "La Alhambra de Cerca", available at all the Alhambra souvneir shops. It's a glossy paperback with a yellow spine (looks sort of like a National Geographic only smaller). Unfortunately, it's in Spanish, but everyone can enjoy the gorgeous color photographs, and you will be able to figure out the map even if you don't read Spanish. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:16 PM
Janet

We arrived in Granada about 11am, June 23 and went to the bank. We were offered tickets for 1pm but settled for something a little later. It was wonderful. <BR> <BR>Also bought tickets for the night tour. Thoroughly disappointing. You are better off taking the bus, I believe #4, so that you can see the view from acorss the Alhambra rather than being in the dimly lit palace and really see nothing. <BR> <BR>I would recommend then, trying to stay at any hotel on the Alhambra grounds. We were not successful. Unless you party and stay out late, this would be the one place to forego the nightlife and have accommodations right on the grounds. Enjoy